Trudeau cuts injured soldiers' pay off

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Trudeau cuts injured soldiers' pay off

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Compensation cut for elite soldiers if injuries last more than 180 days

The federal government quietly rolled out a new policy that terminates compensation for some injured soldiers. Mercedes Stephenson reports.

CTVNews.ca Staff

Published Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:19 PM EST

Elite soldiers involved in Canada’s most dangerous and secretive military operations could now lose a special monthly allowance if they are sick or injured for more than 180 days, CTV News has learned.

The Department of National Defence quietly rolled out the policy in September.

The new rules mean that personnel with the Canadian Special Operations Forces -- many of whom work on top-secret missions across the globe -- will lose the special compensation if illness or injury restricts their duties for more than 180 days.

Paratroopers, submarine crews, pilots and air crews, rescue technicians and ships’ crews are also among the affected.
Sources tell CTV News the Department of National Defence is now enforcing the policy, and pay is being clawed back with little warning.

But those most affected by the controversial policy can't speak publicly because their identities remain secret. Some have told CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson that they're frustrated and don't understand why they are taking a financial hit over temporary injuries.

snip

Critics say the policy could place undue stress on soldiers, who may feel pressured to hide their injuries or rush back to work before they are better.

Conservative defence critic James Bezan called the move hypocritical as the Liberal government says it’s prioritizing mental health.

“They are again saying one thing and doing another that undermines not only the Canadian Armed Forces, but the health of our soldiers,” Bezan said.

The new policy could translate to a loss of more than $23,000 in pay over six months for a JTF-2 assaulter.

Chris Dupee, a veteran who has struggled with post-traumatic stress disorder, says he understands the government’s position.

“I get both sides. I understand the economics of taking away the allowance if you're not deployable I get all that,” he said.
But he also knows that losing the monthly allowance is a hard blow to military families.

“That's a big chunk taken out of your family income that you've grown used to,” Dupee said.

Dupee worries that soldiers who require time to recover may be counting down the days they have left to get back on the job, even if they’re not ready.

“That's a clock that's ticking. That's something that's going to be constantly embedded into that individual's mind, right? And that's going to be a huge stress,” he said.

Former Special Forces Commander Steve Day said the policy will have serious consequences on the forces.

“It will become a morale issue and without a doubt it will affect retention,” Day said.

“We may unfortunately start seeing soldiers and sailors, air men and air women, hiding their injuries if they know that potentially some of their financial compensation is at risk.”

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/compensati ... -1.3669908
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Trudeau cuts injured soldiers' pay off

Post by Queen K »

:135: First limiting wreaths and having to take it back.

Now this?

And just before Rememberance Day? Seriously?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Queen K wrote::135: First limiting wreaths and having to take it back.

Now this?

And just before Rememberance Day? Seriously?
Exactly. Bad call.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

While I'm not defending the actions of the government the title of this thread is very misleading and I suspect intentionally so. The government and not just Trudeau has implemented and is enforcing a policy which will cut "a special monthly allowance", but not cut injured soldiers' pay off entirely as one might believe after reading the title. Again, I am not in the least defending or criticising the government or Department of National Defence for this action. I would be interested in finding out what the savings were intended to fund, it may be a better use of the funds, or it may be another military white elephant.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I got that, but the timing of it, just before Rememberance Day.

And yes, could the OP Please edit the title of the thread? Verum is right, the headline misleads.
Last edited by Queen K on Nov 9th, 2017, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Verum wrote:While I'm not defending the actions of the government the title of this thread is very misleading and I suspect intentionally so. The government and not just Trudeau has implemented and is enforcing a policy which will cut "a special monthly allowance", but not cut injured soldiers' pay off entirely as one might believe after reading the title. Again, I am not in the least defending or criticising the government or Department of National Defence for this action. I would be interested in finding out what the savings were intended to fund, it may be a better use of the funds, or it may be another military white elephant.

Just a effort to balance his budget and get people off the topic of foreign investments that avoid Canadian Taxes. That would be my thoughts.

Maybe they need to cut wages of MPS and Senators to balance the budget and that may free up money to care for those who put their lives on the line for this Country which used to be great!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 9th, 2017, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 9th, 2017, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Ken7 wrote:Just a effort to balance his budget and get people off the topic of foreign investments that avoid Canadian Taxes. That would be my thoughts.

Maybe they need to cut wages of MPS and Senators to balance the budget and that may free up money to care for those who put their lives on the line for this Country which used to be great!

This Country still is great, and far more than our military makes it so. Unlike lesser places, we do not need to be made great again, since we never lost it
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

disgusting!!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Verum wrote:This Country still is great, and far more than our military makes it so. Unlike lesser places, we do not need to be made great again, since we never lost it

Interesting. I've been told by all of the Trudeau-loving Leftists here that we were all supposed to be ashamed of Canada while Harper was the leader and now totally proud of Canada because we are paying terrorists millions of taxpayer dollars and bending over for Euro-trash at the UN. Were we always supposed to be proud? Sounds good to me. I sure am.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Nov 9th, 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Governments ask for these people's service, then when that service is up or they are injured. Thank-you for your service, now get the hell out of sight & shut the :cuss: up. Shameful
Everyone needs to demand better for those who are willing to serve our Country here and aboard.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Trudeau once again shows his disdain for the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for their country.

Trudeau is pure filth.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Rwede wrote:Trudeau once again shows his disdain for the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for their country.

Trudeau is pure filth.

Can you show where Trudeau supported this change in Department of National Defence policy?

Return to “Canada”