City of West Kelowna Revoked Business Licenses

tiomio
Fledgling

City of West Kelowna Revoked Business Licenses

Post by tiomio »

On October 19th I was saddened and outraged while viewing Global News Okanagan’s video interview with West Kelowna city counsellor, Rusty Ensign, regarding the pulling of Business Licenses of the city’s medical cannabis dispensaries. Last Monday I attended one of West Kelowna’s cannabis dispensaries to purchase some edible products which help to control my pain and allow me to get some quality sleep, and, contrary to Counsellor Ensign’s claims that such stores service 20 - 30 year old males, there were none in the shop, only 3 other ladies, of which only one was under the age of 65 years.
Some of these dispensaries have been operating for over 3 years, with a Business License granted from the City of West Kelowna. Several other dispensaries have subsequently been granted their Business Licenses from the City. I am disappointed to learn that all of these businesses who were granted Business Licenses, in good faith, have now suddenly had their licenses revoked. Their products have not changed, and they had been granted a license to sell them. They are now dealing with bylaw enforcement and fines of $1,000. per day. What suddenly changed? What are the motives of this City counsel? I have been told that one City Counsellor has investments in cannabis stock while another City Counsellor has been seen entering and leaving one of the local dispensaries on several occasions (names withheld).

The City has stated that they had to revoke these Business Licenses, which they granted, because the police were not stepping in to shut them down. So I ask – why would the City issue Business Licenses to shops with the expectation that the police would then step in and close the shops down?

Doctors often issue Medical Marijuanna permits (cards) to enable their patients to purchase the products legally and these dispensaries are a necessity for the wellness of many. Shutting down the dispensaries will force some of these people to purchase products off street vendors, possibly ending up with contaminated products.

The City of West Kelowna should take a step back and look at their actions, and consider amending these bylaws and penalties to allow the dispensaries to continue to carry on with their businesses for which they had been granted a Business License from the City of West Kelowna.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: City of West Kelowna Revoked Business Licenses

Post by Verum »

Remember this the next time that they stand for election. I certainly will remember their anti small business policies and will vote for more business progressive counsellors.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Ya pretty weak move on their part - i'd support any councilors that took a leave things as is until province has formal rules then go from there.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Why not just buy it online like everyone else and their dog. Why do you think Canada Post was sold out of those small Expresspost bubble bags until recently !
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Because that would entail forethought and planning. Humans have the need for instant gratification. That's why "Cash and Carry" is still so popular. :smt045
Bring back the LIKE button.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

West Kelowna city council is horrible, from the pot shops to supporting a commercial storage facility in a residential neighbourhood, i honestly wonder who they are in it for....

and don't get me started on Ensign, the guy shouldn't even be on the council :cuss:
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

zerograv wrote:West Kelowna city council is horrible, from the pot shops to supporting a commercial storage facility in a residential neighbourhood, i honestly wonder who they are in it for....

and don't get me started on Ensign, the guy shouldn't even be on the council :cuss:

If you are referring to the UHaul place it is on WFN Land, CoWK had no say. But I agree that it is an eyesore.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Tootsie wrote:Why not just buy it online like everyone else and their dog. Why do you think Canada Post was sold out of those small Expresspost bubble bags until recently !

I prefer to support local businesses. I was in one of the shops today and it seemed like business as usual. I too require their products for pain and sleep.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

TreeGuy wrote:
If you are referring to the UHaul place it is on WFN Land, CoWK had no say. But I agree that it is an eyesore.

no, i'm referring to the commercial contractor and RV facility in shannon lake
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

deeball

Post by deeball »

The problem with buying online in my opinion would be that there is no one held accountable if the product is bunk or worse yet, laced with something. At least with the local stores the suppliers are going to want to put out a good clean product for their customer.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

its been 2 weeks they are still operating illegal business now what what the problem was shock to hear medical grower in kelowna had been shipping to hells angels in nova scotia

Return to “Central Okanagan”