Crashes all over town

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Crashes all over town

Post by lesliepaul »

The new Yokohama Geolander G015 All Terrain also have the Mountain Snowflake now. Not the softer compound rubber but a redesigned tread pattern. Just got them 3 weeks ago and am very satisfied.........BUT.......from a stop on a steep residential street in todays conditions they were slipping. Once in Auto 4........no problem. I tend to drive in 2-wheel in most conditions and rely on 4X4 when needed. Better to "hone" your skills in 2 than be a "hero" driving beyond your ability's in 4.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm not a fan of ABS but I do like traction control systems, depending on the car.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dle
Lord of the Board

Highways/roads snow maintenance

Post by dle »

Back in the day (and I don't mean when Adam was a boy - I mean not too too long ago), it went like this:

Snow, snowplow followed immediately behind by sandtruck, repeat

Now it's snow a foot or two, dispatch some snowplows to some streets, where the hell is that sand truck, repeat

I like back in the day better. I know it all costs $$, but this IS one of the places those $$ should be spent, not on some goofy painting to hang in the Parliament Buildings or whatever other waste of our taxpayers $$ goes on.

At the very least get the intersection approaches sanded right after they are plowed - I think that would cut down on a lot of crashes. Even making sure we have our winter tires on before November 15 helps (yep, welcome to BC folks, we get white stuff every year about the same time and every year people wait til it snows to put them on like its arrival was some big surprise and *bleep* because they wait in 6 hour lineups - boggles the mind).

The City and the Province crews have to work long cold hours doing winter snow maintenance and I'm grateful but maybe they need to go back to a plan of attack that worked.

Of course, there is no fixing dumbells who just tromp on it and think their SUV's or whatevers will stop on a dime in any conditions.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Highways/roads snow maintenance

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have a feeling the City will have gone through what little they set aside for snow budget before Jan 1.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Started talking about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=75446
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

every year it gets crappier and crappier
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Sparki55 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:The highlighted in red text above tells me everything I need to know.
Not really, but good luck this year.

If your car isn't equipped with ABS you are way more likely to get in an accident than me with my snowflake rated all seasons and truck equipped with ABS. Even the best winter tires and no good if you jam on the brakes without an ABS to maintain your traction, you will slide.

Maybe we should make ABS a requirement instead of requiring everyone to have 2 sets of tires.

I have ABS, 100# in my trunk, brand new winter tires, drive slowly, leave lots of room, don't jam on the brakes 6 ft from where I want to be stopped and expect to stop - yet I still have slid into intersections where there is NO SAND.

The City or MOT or whoever is in charge in Kelowna needs to put SAND at the intersection approaches right after they plow.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I posted this on another thread earlier - should be here instead....

Back in the day (and I don't mean when Adam was a boy - I mean not too too long ago), it went like this:

Now it's snow a foot or two, dispatch some snowplows to some streets, where the hell is that sand truck, repeat

I like back in the day better. I know it all costs $$, but this IS one of the places those $$ should be spent, not on some goofy painting to hang in the Parliament Buildings or whatever other waste of our taxpayers $$ goes on.

At the very least get the intersection approaches sanded right after they are plowed - I think that would cut down on a lot of crashes. Even making sure we have our winter tires on before November 15 helps (yep, welcome to BC folks, we get white stuff every year about the same time and every year people wait til it snows to put them on like its arrival was some big surprise and *bleep* because they wait in 6 hour lineups - boggles the mind).

The City and the Province crews have to work long cold hours doing winter snow maintenance and I'm grateful but maybe they need to go back to a plan of attack that worked.

Of course, there is no fixing dumbells who just tromp on it and think their SUV's or whatevers will stop on a dime in any conditions.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm not a fan of ABS but I do like traction control systems, depending on the car.

For me it's the opposite but I do appreciate that you said, "depending on the car". I'd probably feel different if I was driving a 500 horsepower rear wheel drive but I turn off the traction control on my front wheel drive car when it snows.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Something I've seen people do with their snow removal machines and people with blades on their ATV's:
Snow can not be shovelled onto the roadway as this has the potential to become a safety hazard.

https://www.kelowna.ca/roads-transporta ... ce-control
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

voice of reason wrote:every year it gets crappier and crappier

Every year drivers get crappier and dumber.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

There are quite a few types of tires, including high performance summer tires, all seasons with just the M+S rating, all weather with the snowflake inside a mountain symbol and then the winter type with strictly a snowflake symbol.

Sure, snowflake winters are the best BUT: slow....the....hell....DOWN! You're still not driving a snowcat vehicle with those on!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dle wrote:Back in the day (and I don't mean when Adam was a boy - I mean not too too long ago), it went like this:

I don’t think you realize that the trucks lay sand as they plow. Plowing and sanding isn’t done by two separate trucks.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I posted a link to Kelowna's snow removal and ice control on the other thread.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

they used to lay sand as they plow now they must drive around empty judging by the lack of sand i see anywhere its pathetic and somewhat dangerous

Return to “Central Okanagan”