The BC NDP are world-class hypocrites

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: The BC NDP are world-class hypocrites

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:If the BC Liberals/BC Hydro hadn't been in such a rush to get this thing 'past the point of no return', and had commissioned a review by BCUC before spending $2+ billion of OUR money on an unnecessary project, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You are assuming that the BCUC had it been consulted earlier would automatically have said no.

Given that commitments to GHG reduction obligations come into play, it's just as possible they would have given the go ahead.

Otherwise if you are so certain, why is it that Johnny put so many restrictions, on what the commission was and wasn't allowed to take into consideration for their report?

Don't you think those legally binding obligations are a pretty big part of the equation to leave out, in assessing future BC electric needs?

Face it this whole report is a sham, and worth virtually nothing, as it was designed to support a specific agenda.

The misguided sector of the populace, such as yourself, have been rambling on and on about the BCUC being excluded from the original decision, but only because you all assume that the finding would have supported your NO position.

Now here we are, and the commission was given strict guidelines of what they can and can't include in their report, to ensure the end result supports cancellation of Site C more than it does continuation.

This can only have been motivated by a fear of what the report might say, if looking at ALL the relevant parts of the equation.

I know how you struggle with interpretation so I'll put it simply for you, your side has had to resort to cheating to ensure the outcome you hope for, as opposed to letting things play out the way you've indicated they should have all along.

In essence you've whined for ages about the BCUC's earlier exclusion from the decision making process, yet now you include them but manipulate the process, in a fashion that essentially makes their involvement a pointless exercise in futility.

To what end? So that you can gloat and say the BCUC says it should be shut down? They didn't though because you interfered in their process which really voids their findings.

How does it make you feel having to cheat to call yourselves winners?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

mikest2 wrote:
    Please show me where the NDP commissioned the BCUC to study whether or not the current government should freeze BC Hydro rates.
I just watched QP and the premier was asked about that. Of course he dodged the question and at one point talked about the "crap" from the other side. He was rattled and angry and quickly withdrew his remark. Then the speaker asked him to withdraw it and he withdrew it again. Nothing worse than a hypocrite with a temper. Bad day for Horgan and the NDP in Question Period.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:If the BC Liberals/BC Hydro hadn't been in such a rush to get this thing 'past the point of no return', and had commissioned a review by BCUC before spending $2+ billion of OUR money on an unnecessary project, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The BCUC's report was superfluous and would have not changed the fact that the government would still have the final say.
Bring back the LIKE button.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

It amazes me that CF doesn't know that BCUC decisions regarding BC Hydro are NOT final and are always subject to exemption/veto by the Minister.

It is right in the law that BC NDP wrote:

"22 (1) In this section, "minister" means the minister responsible for the administration of the Hydro and Power Authority Act.

(2) The minister, by regulation, may

(a) exempt from any or all of section 71 and the provisions of this Part

(i) a public utility, or

(ii) a public utility in respect of any equipment, facility, plant, project, activity, contract, service or system of the public utility, and

(b) in respect of an exemption made under paragraph (a), impose any terms and conditions the minister considers to be in the public interest.

(3) The minister, before making a regulation under subsection (2), may refer the matter to the commission for a review."

So the entire "BCUC" thing is complete hypocrisy by the lying NDP, they were the ones wrote the law. After years of wailing and gnashing their teeth, the BC NDP turn around and totally ignore a BCUC approved rate increase!!! And while admitting that they don't have a clue what they are doing as they need to "review" BC Hydro for a year. Gimme a break! The audited financial statements and the service reports are ALL public information. Oh, I forgot... NDP plus reading a financial is an oxymoron - yes, heavy on the last part.

I note that the dimbulb NDP want to transfer any cancellation costs of site C to the public purse. Add $4 billion more of debt for nothing of value to the province's debt! The NDP do not seem to have any understanding of what "self supporting debt" is, and the implications for the province and its debt load and credit rating. What a bunch of financially illiterate failures.

IF the NDP actually do understand the ramifications of the reckless and idiotic moves they are making, then are simply acting in their own political interest to keep their lazy butts in fat salary jobs with big pensions. That makes their whole shtick about "making your life more affordable" just a hypocritical porky!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Edited for brevity.
hobbyguy wrote:

So the entire "BCUC" thing is complete hypocrisy by the lying NDP, they were the ones wrote the law. After years of wailing and gnashing their teeth, the BC NDP turn around and totally ignore a BCUC approved rate increase!!! And while admitting that they don't have a clue what they are doing as they need to "review" BC Hydro for a year. Gimme a break! The audited financial statements and the service reports are ALL public information. Oh, I forgot... NDP plus reading a financial is an oxymoron - yes, heavy on the last part.

I note that the dimbulb NDP want to transfer any cancellation costs of site C to the public purse. Add $4 billion more of debt for nothing of value to the province's debt! The NDP do not seem to have any understanding of what "self supporting debt" is, and the implications for the province and its debt load and credit rating. What a bunch of financially illiterate failures.

IF the NDP actually do understand the ramifications of the reckless and idiotic moves they are making, then are simply acting in their own political interest to keep their lazy butts in fat salary jobs with big pensions. That makes their whole shtick about "making your life more affordable" just a hypocritical porky!

The NDP already know they will never get a second term and are just kicking the can down the road with the hopes that find something to brag about accomplishing during this term. They are losers, and will lose again in the future. It's too bad that we (the voters), have to wait so long to prove it. They are trying to buy votes of the misinformed and underemployed.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:It amazes me that CF doesn't know that BCUC decisions regarding BC Hydro are NOT final and are always subject to exemption/veto by the Minister.

It is right in the law that BC NDP wrote:

"22 (1) In this section, "minister" means the minister responsible for the administration of the Hydro and Power Authority Act.

(2) The minister, by regulation, may

(a) exempt from any or all of section 71 and the provisions of this Part

(i) a public utility, or

(ii) a public utility in respect of any equipment, facility, plant, project, activity, contract, service or system of the public utility, and

(b) in respect of an exemption made under paragraph (a), impose any terms and conditions the minister considers to be in the public interest.

(3) The minister, before making a regulation under subsection (2), may refer the matter to the commission for a review."

Thank you for clarifying that. The Minister' responsible for deciding not to send this to the BCUC for review was none other than 'Wild Bill' Bennett (and I'm using that name in order to show the unsuspecting readers that I'm not writing about former Premier Bill Bennett, who incidentally vetoed the project when he was Premier).The truth is that Gordon Campbell, with his 'Clean Energy Act', Jessica MacDonald, (his deputy and CEO of BC Hydro), Brad Bennett (Christy's comrade and Chairman of the Board), Premier Clark herself, AND 'Wild Bill', all made the decision to by-pass the BCUC in order to get Site C past the point of no return before the 2017 election.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ now there is a deflection.

After grinning Johnny and crew over rule a BCUC decision on rates that they determined were fair and appropriate? Oh my, that doesn't look good.

:digging:
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    mikest2 wrote:
    Please show me where the NDP commissioned the BCUC to study whether or not the current government should freeze BC Hydro rates.
I just watched QP and the premier was asked about that. Of course he dodged the question and at one point talked about the "crap" from the other side. He was rattled and angry and quickly withdrew his remark. Then the speaker asked him to withdraw it and he withdrew it again. Nothing worse than a hypocrite with a temper. Bad day for Horgan and the NDP in Question Period.

I always watch Question Period at 7 p.m. and I was looking forward to seeing this temper tantrum you described. I was disappointed. Horgan, as usual, handled himself very well over the braying from the other side.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:
    I always watch Question Period at 7 p.m. and I was looking forward to seeing this temper tantrum you described. I was disappointed. Horgan, as usual, handled himself very well over the braying from the other side.

The premier got flustered and said that what was coming from the opposition was "crap." He then quickly withdrew the comment and was asked by the speaker to do so again. He did. Now we know what you mean by "handled himself very well." Thanks for letting us know!
[icon_lol2.gif]
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Cactusflower wrote:

Here................, handled well ? His acting sucks and he needs a new writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRA5mM5aD9k
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ see, the NDP don't even know what handling things well is!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:^^ see, the NDP don't even know what handling things well is!

And you don't even know that you and your Myna birds have contradicted yourselves numerous times on this page alone.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:[
The premier got flustered and said that what was coming from the opposition was "crap." He then quickly withdrew the comment and was asked by the speaker to do so again. He did. Now we know what you mean by "handled himself very well." Thanks for letting us know!
[icon_lol2.gif]

Horgan is such a giant buffoon. This whole government is a complete joke.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Amusing that someone complains about a study not being done by the NDP, yet everywhere else, everyone refers to studies as being a waste of time and resources
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:Amusing that someone complains about a study not being done by the NDP, yet everywhere else, everyone refers to studies as being a waste of time and resources

Perhaps I missed the post complaining about studies not being done?

IMO, this is about the NDP's hypocrisy in overriding the BCUC. Rather like the NDP's last go-around, when they punted the school trustees' bargaining unit out of the way to impose the deal the NDP wanted with the BCTF.

It's all about what buys the most votes for this party in the short term, and total disregard for what's best for BC in the long term. Sure, all parties do this to some extent. Here, we have a party that has spent years complaining the previous government didn't use the BCUC as part of their decision-making re: Site C, now dismissing the BCUC's legitimate function in granting the BC Hydro increase, effectively breaking a contract negotiated before their tenure.

Utter hypocrisy, and it'll probably be defended by the same folk who complained the loudest when the previous government broke the contract the NDP had imposed over the objections of the legitimate bargaining entity, with the BCTF.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”