15%
Nothing needs to change just let people dump them where ever
8%

Total votes: 39

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Rec vehicles dumped in the forest

Post by GordonH »

Unfortunately the taxpayers are on the hoof for much of the cost of these RV's & other burnt out vehicles left in the woods (along with garbage dumps out in the bush).
Since catching someone desposing of these items red handed is almost impossible.

A familiar phrase from me.... as :cuss: holes will always be as :cuss: holes
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Fancy wrote:They won't accept vehicles if they are full of garbage (this one might be in that category) or with missing tires (another possibility here).

So take the garbage out and haul it to the dump and put a old crummy tire on it so it can be disposed of.

Next problem please.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Well, you can't utilize a service if you don't know about it - thanks for sharing. You'd think the places Kane went to would have that kind of information.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:What does the disposal fee do if there's no where to take them and the City doesn't want the responsibility?

Similar to what's done with other items where a disposal fee is changed. It basically boils down to:
- Landfills must now take RVs, but would be able to use the disposal fees charged to pay for costs associated with disassembling the RV for recycling.
- Private recyclers could apply to government/city for the disposal fee when they accept an RV making it profitable for them to recycle the RV.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Take it to the next "Push, Pull or Drag Sale" ... you know, where they take "anything" on trade, but you'd have to buy something to trade it in on ...

http://www.whiterockvw.com/push-pull-dr ... e-program/
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote:
Fancy wrote:What does the disposal fee do if there's no where to take them and the City doesn't want the responsibility?

Similar to what's done with other items where a disposal fee is changed. It basically boils down to:
- Landfills must now take RVs, but would be able to use the disposal fees charged to pay for costs associated with disassembling the RV for recycling.
- Private recyclers could apply to government/city for the disposal fee when they accept an RV making it profitable for them to recycle the RV.

Exactly but we've reached a tipping point where the dumps don't want to get their hands dirty anymore.

There's no reason that RV's couldn't be dealt with the same as TV's where there's an environmental fee attached upon purchase.

The dumps should then view it as an opportunity to create a job position(s) of RV dismantler and also get the proceeds of recycled materials.

Instead as it stands currently they want everyone to do their work for them, and simply cash in on the profit from the materials.

Though I get where Ultraviolet is coming from, I don't believe it's quite as cut and dried as calling everyone who doesn't want to disassemble a motorhome a lazy person.

For starters I can just imagine the calls to bylaw enforcement upon numerous people having partially disassembled RV's sitting in their driveway. Another valid consideration, is that many owners are older or handicapped, and expecting them to engage in such an undertaking is unrealistic.

Charge the fee at purchase and make the dump accept them. Problem solved and jobs created.

It might be time for politicians to consider if what they think is being saved, by the dump not accepting these things, still makes sense, after factoring in the cost of cleaning up all the stuff abandoned in the bush, because there's little in the way of alternatives.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
okanaganforesttaskforce

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

Update:

The motorhome is now crushed and gone. The gentleman who kindly just wanted to help another person out found a place to take it. Last night he drove all the way out to a scrap yard in chase who gladly took it.

Okanagan Forest Task Force is trying to work out a way to have them recycled properly. It will take time and won't happen over night but clearly something needs to be done.

We thank everyone for there ideas and thoughts. It's because of our great community and support this is all possible.
Last edited by okanaganforesttaskforce on Nov 9th, 2017, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

A happy ending to a very sad story. Thanks for the update.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Old Techie wrote:Charge the fee at purchase and make the dump accept them. Problem solved and jobs created.

In all fairness, a recycling fee of $1000 would have to be placed on this particular type of motorhome just to cover dismantling labour.
A recycling fee of this size would probably not go over to well with those who are buying new units.

Also, if you think the $1000 is an out to lunch number, try recycling one and see the time and effort required.

It's not that simple.....
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

UltraViolet wrote:In all fairness, a recycling fee of $1000 would have to be placed on this particular type of motorhome just to cover dismantling labour.
A recycling fee of this size would probably not go over to well with those who are buying new units.

Also, if you think the $1000 is an out to lunch number, try recycling one and see the time and effort required.

How did you come up with that number? Seems way too high to me.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

UltraViolet wrote:
Old Techie wrote:Charge the fee at purchase and make the dump accept them. Problem solved and jobs created.

In all fairness, a recycling fee of $1000 would have to be placed on this particular type of motorhome just to cover dismantling labour.

Well I'm sure that someone doing it all the time would get efficient at doing the job, but regardless that figure is high no question.

You don't think a couple of guys who do that all the time can't strip one down in a day? Paying them $20hr still only comes to $320.

Besides the fee could be variable depending on the type of unit. Obviously it would take less time to strip down the type of unit referenced in this story, as compared to something much larger and luxuriously outfitted.

Also the concept not going over well is neither here nor there, given that abandoning them in the bush doesn't go over well with people either, so as it stands there's still someone losing, just not currently the RV owners. If they can afford a toy like that in the first place then I'm sure they can cough up a couple hundred bucks extra for environmental fees.

I doubt your suggestion that owners dismantle them on their own, at home, wouldn't go over too well either with neighbors.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Taking one apart and stripping it down in a residential neighborhood would not be the best of ideas. If I did something like that I can almost guarantee a couple of my neighbors would have bylaw here in minutes. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 10th, 2017, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
spooker

Post by spooker »

Maybe this is a popup opportunity for some entrepreneur? Have a lot that accepts them all year long but then take a couple of months to recycle them all and then head back down to Mexico for the winters ...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

spooker wrote:Maybe this is a popup opportunity for some entrepreneur?

Would have to charge a lot. And people wouldn't be willing to pay for it because dumping it in the forest is free (to them).

Return to “Central Okanagan”