What everyone should know about Netflix

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

What everyone should know about Netflix

Post by Thinktank »

Can you imagine anyone driving downtown, and walking around and around and around with other people
looking at hundreds of videos, hoping, trying to pick one that might be less terrible than the others, then paying good money
so you can watch it, even if it's bad, and drive back to the store to return it the next day?
I'm glad they all went out of business. :up:

You can't beat Netflix for only $9.00 a month.

The reason Netflix is so good, is that movies these days are so bad. I'd never pay $5.00 to watch a bad movie again,
like i did back in the 1980s, but with Netflix you can always watch a different movie if you don't like the one you're watching, for about 30 cents a day. That's an incredible deal.

Netflix Is Reportedly ‘Bleeding Cash’ To The Tune Of $20 Billion And Growing

They're losing money now, but in the future, Netflix and Youtube will control everything all of us watch. If Netflix
and Youtube don't like it - we won't be able to watch it.

but for now - it's great. :up:

Netflix is a good deal now, but in the future, they'll control everything we watch.

http://uproxx.com/tv/netflix-bleeding-c ... lion-debt/
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
dominik
Fledgling

Re: What everyone should know about Netflix

Post by dominik »

I have to ask... What is it with this advertising campaign you are running? First Amazon now Netflix. On either platform you ignore social, employment and community aspects.

You also forget that Netflix is not showing you all the videos in the way they were shot. To reduce bandwidth and increase performance, scenes, pictures, and other items are sometimes cropped/adjusted or removed. This while possible with DVD and Blu-Ray was usually only done in those industries based upon regional requirements.

Netflix smallest package now is also $10.99. Now this is in addition to the High Speed Internet Service you have to have to enjoy the movies, don't forget bandwidth here as 1 movie can eat up substantial bandwidth. If you have a package with (admittedly low) 25GB limit you have an equivalent of 5 movies (not including your normal internet usage). The good thing is that most providers now start around 50gb at their lowest speed tiers (however lowest speed also means potentially no HD viewing ability or not being able to use another internet based device in the household while watching a movie).

Considering the average pricing right now for these packages ranges between 45-75 dollars a month you would have to take this into account in your 10.99 movie rental equation. On top of that having a TV/Device allowing you to watch netflix or having your modem near your TV. (Additional Cost) If the TV is wireless or only provides cable access your have to deal with questions regarding network equipment.

I like Netflix. I watch it. I have the gear, but I am under the clear understanding that 10.99 is not the only cost attached to the service.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like Netflix, but I control what I watch and how fast I burn through their series.

They're bleeding money? Likely because they offer Canadians very little in terms of the "good stuff" and force people to keep their cable. Or use the 'net for piracy.

There will always be competition for our free time anyways. What did people do before tv and vids took our our home life's free time?

Oh, and this right from your link TT:

The company is pouring money into expensive prestige projects and expects to spend at least $6 billion in content this year. Its net cash outflow this year is forecast to grow to as much as $2.5 billion, up from $1.7 billion last year. Reflecting its growth, Netflix recently moved its Southern California headquarters into a 14-story building in Hollywood.

So far, investors have expressed approval of Netflix’s spendthrift ways. They are betting that debt financing in the near term will create growth and yield big results down the road on the theory that you have to spend money to make money.

Debt financing, spending money to make money. I've done it, who else has done it? Not a bad thing if you believe in the company and product. And with more people staying at home, refusing to be victimized by boorish behavior in movie theaters, companies like content driven Netflix will get more competition.

Cravetv for example.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Thinktank is a shill for Netflix and amazon.

If your not getting paid bro you are so getting used.....

But that in your tank and think about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I don't about "shill" so much as pointing out a truth, driving to the Video outlet and driving back with the worst movie exerience ever often incurred late fees because people could not believe that they fell for the art work on the case. They were so ashamed they hated to get back in their cars to take it back.

Enter "pay per view" but people hated that too because they couldn't stop the insanity and un-pay" for on a better bet.

Enter Netflix. Many a time I've stop a movie within 15 minutes because it's gratutious violence and gore, or stupid premise isn't what I expected. But I've paid for the entire month and have dozens of options.

:up: BINGO!

OH God, I'm being used! :laugh:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 11th, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:
Cravetv for example.

:up:

We bing watched Blue Bloods from start to finish. It's surprising what you pick up doing that.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Where do people get lesser known or less popular movies? Netflix and On Demand Cable movies are little more than hit lists.
The diverse selection is what I miss from video stores, even if some of it was garbage.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Go to Leo's Videos at 2608 Pandosy Street, it's in a small 1970s mall at the South end. :130:
I just googled Leo's Videos, lots comes up on it. :biggrin:
BGrigg07

Post by BGrigg07 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 11th, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.

Return to “Social Concerns”