Most Overrated Band of All Time?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Most Overrated Band of All Time?

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Big Hair bands of the 80s pick any of them.

Blasphemy! LOL!

As for overrated bands (defining a band as a group of musicians, playing various instruments and writing and singing their own material) ... The Grateful Dead.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

richardclank wrote:The Beatles. Complete disaster of a band without a single good song.

That take is spicy. I will second the hair band suggestion- how one listens to G&R non-ironically is beyond me.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Verum wrote:
Whyme2 wrote: hate the f***ing Eagles. Your an *bleep* hole!

Gotcha, lol. :up:
Last edited by Whyme2 on Nov 12th, 2017, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Tragically Hip
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Even Steven beat me to it.
The Tragically Off Pitch and Bruce Springsteen. (Also tragically off pitch.)
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

richardclank wrote:The Beatles. Complete disaster of a band without a single good song.
The Beatles: BEST BAND EVER!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay this post will/possible include many acts:
any band, group or individual who lip syncs there songs at live concerts/events.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Oasis is overated
I HATE The Offspring.
I also mostly can't stand that genre in the 90's reggae/rock/punk (whatever its called)especially when there's brass instruments involved.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urbane wrote:
The Beatles: BEST BAND EVER!

The Beatles were ONE of the greats! So were the Monkeys.[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXpKiY2MXE[/youtube]
BUT this tread is not about the best, it is about the worst.

This website does not have enough terabytes of room to contain the BEST bands. Sorry Castanet.
Bring back the LIKE button.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If your talking overrated, Elton John though not a band.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Glacier wrote:I think it really depends where you live. Personally, I think there are some crappy Canadians bands with lead singers who can't sing like 54-40 who get played only because they're Canadians. Outside of Canada, the most overrated is probably someone like David Bowie or perhaps someone who has become a legend because of a movement they became a part of -- Bob Dylan, the Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Elvis, etc.

What do you think?

What do I think?

Firstly, how, in this day and age, your geographical location is relevant what you consider an "overrated band" is beyond me.

Not sure how you define overrated? To me, it would be two things: a band appreciated by the masses yet has little appeal to me and/or a band that was a great success despite having little or no talent in actually producing music.
Millions raved about Milli Vanilla until it was determined it was all a sham. Some bands didn't even exist yet topped the charts.

Music is such a personal thing to like or dislike that if you polled enough people, every band that ever strummed a note would eventually be listed as overrated. If you or I don't appreciate a band it there are still thousands that do.

Lastly, IMO, to suggest David Bowie as overrated is strange. The man had foresight, wrote great lyrics, played guitar well, was a great composer and always kept it interesting. He paved the way for countless bands and entertained millions of people for more than 5 decades. Have you seen his parting gift to us all? Find "Lazarus" on you tube and see. Something like 65 million views and endless accolades and adoring fans.

Rest in peace Major Tom. You are sorely missed.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

David Bowie's Parting Song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Those that appreciate him will understand the meaning. He wrote and produced this knowing he had few days left and was under heavy medications yet needed to give us all one last gift.
Someone has to say it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

gardengirl wrote:Even Steven beat me to it.

With all due respect to Gord Downie, I think 80% of their success was generated because they were proud Canadians.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Another success story brought to you by Canadian Content programming.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Glacier wrote:
gardengirl wrote:Even Steven beat me to it.

With all due respect to Gord Downie, I think 80% of their success was generated because they were proud Canadians.

Thank you. I didn't want to be the first to say it. His voice to me was like nails on a blackboard.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”