Laser for fighter planes

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Laser for fighter planes

Post by maryjane48 »

In a move that could revolutionize aerial combat, the US Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) has awarded Lockheed Martin a US$26.3 million contract to design, develop, and produce a high-power laser weapon that the AFRL wants to install and test on a tactical fighter jet by 2021. The new test weapon is part of the AFRL Self-protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) program tasked with developing airborne laser systems.

https://newatlas.com/lockheed-martin-la ... ter/52089/
seewood
Guru

Re: Laser for fighter planes

Post by seewood »

??? Don't know much about lasers other than the beam of light goes straight, requires a stupid amount of power for a beam to cut anything . Someone in the research department has a mortgage payment to make or a gambling debt to pay off....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

They said the same thing about the atomic bomb in the 1930s. And then a group of scientists, probably without gambling debts, gathered and discovered how to release a "stupid amount of power" in the 1940s. You also should know that the Chinese and Russians are working on this technology, but they don't tell everybody.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. In trials using drones a 30kW laser needs to be trained on the target for 5 or more seconds before it looses ability to fly. Videos I saw typically cut off a tail wing or something and the drone would loose flight ability and come crashing down. So long as the enemy can be targeted and visible in radar I suppose this might somewhat work if the enemy isn't too stealthy. 60kW from a light fiber laser is quite powerful and apparently it can be scaled higher. If you inadvertently strike the pilot that'd be a bonus.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Unless you're the pilot.
The US Navy has had a Laser deployed on the USS Ponce as part of it anti-aircraft weapons for a while now.
Black Dogs Matter
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The effects of a laser light on a pilot.

Nothing new, and this level of light can be purchased on the internet.

A Laser light that is able to "cut" something, is not practical in a combat situation. The light would have to be "on-target" for far too long to be effective. A simple "green laser' at the cockpit glass would be enough to blind a pilot. Even if it was momentary, it could give an opposing fighter enough of an advantage to kill the other aircraft.
Don't be making a big deal about something that is blown out of proportion.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The ‘typical’ 5mW laser pointers are common. Usually green is preferred by astronomers for pointing at objects in the night sky. 60kW is 12,000,000 times more powerful and can quickly vaporize your eyes so long as you’re facing the laser. Not sure what kind of distance the weapon would be useful to. Most of the demonstrations have been around a mile. The technology is in the type of laser, it’s power, and size. Apparently gives 360 degree coverage too. Not sure how well this would work against a stealth fighter.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have a 50 mw green, right here, right now, in my hand. I had to look at the label to verify that. Yes, it will blind a human eye. it even hurts to look at the reflection off the wall.
Yes, I have aggravated some homeowners 3 kms away.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “World”