Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Post by MAPearce »

You're kidding me .. Right ??

There was unhappiness again this year over the lack of an official Remembrance Day ceremony at Vernon's downtown Cenotaph.

“I’m very saddened by the lack of presence at the Cenotaph today by anyone in an official capacity for this Remembrance Day,” posted resident Dawn Tucker on Facebook. “I understand that services are held at Kal Tire Place as it is an artificial environment and it can hold people but we must never forget our memorial is the Cenotaph downtown.”

Tucker said veterans at the Cenotaph “felt forgotten and were dismayed at the lack of care given this important monument.”

However, the vets stepped up and spoke to those who had showed up before two minutes of silence were held, she said.

“This is not the ceremony of my youth at this monument. I understand we have shifted to another site, I understand we no longer have our Remembrance Day parade, I don’t understand abandoning the Cenotaph,” Tucker wrote.

A veteran also expressed his frustration over the lack of a ceremony.

"As a veteran who has seen how some cenotaphs get the respect they deserve, I was ashamed of the lack of representation/respect I witnessed earlier today," wrote Dean Roosevelt. "The veterans who were there, besides myself, were hurt and angered by the lack of imagination that resulted in a very embarrassing situation."

An estimated 2,000 people attended the official Remembrance Day ceremony at Kal Tire Place Saturday.

Come on ..... REALLY ???

For shame Vernon .... For shame .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Post by WalterWhite »

They can go - there's just no one there to organize/oversee any form of actual ceremony. By the sounds of it, this isn't the first time either. Disrespectful to say the least. City of Vernon should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Cenotaph
:A monument to someone buried elsewhere, especially one commemorating people who died in a war.
Kal tire place
: a 3,006 seat multi-purpose arena

whats wrong with this picture? Agreed, shame on you Vernon.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Bringing it indoors to create a warm comfortable place for people to drink their Starbucks, take selfies and then share on FB to show how much they sacrificed.

I think it is about numbers as always, appeal to the masses. Of course they use the excuse that it is for the Vets, men and women who were hardened as young people and didn’t live their lives as snowflakes.

As a Reservist I was on parade every year for the 5 years I served. It was on Vancouver Island, it was always cold and in the rain. It seemed fitting being that those soldiers that fought were far from any comforts of home.

For all they sacrificed I don’t think standing in the cold is too much to ask.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Many of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice did so mired knee deep in mud, snow and other unimaginable "inconveniences" than just inclement weather hoping to simply stay alive and continue fighting for their country and freedom.

Let's honor them by sitting in a nice cushy arena for an hour because, well, it's a little chilly out today. Disgusting City of Vernon. Again - shame on you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

West Kelowna held their Remembrance Day in Lepage Place
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

GordonH wrote:West Kelowna held their Remembrance Day in Lepage Place

There was also a well attended ceremony at the Cenotaph in Westbank.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:West Kelowna held their Remembrance Day in Lepage Place

TreeGuy wrote:There was also a well attended ceremony at the Cenotaph in Westbank.

I prefer Remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph in each community/city.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

People are entitled to celebrate remembrance however they personally choose and even if they choose. You have your method, they have their own and belittling those who do not adhere to your preferred approach is petty. We are afforded freedom by the actions of others, some we choose to remember on Remembrance Day, others we remember otherwise and many we forget. These people acted, lived and died so that we could live our lives without others dictating how. Perhaps the best way to honour these people is to do the same for others and not dictate or criticise others for how they live their own personal lives
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

im playing devils Advocate here so I am sorry if this offends anyone.

"People are entitled to celebrate remembrance however they personally choose and even if they choose. " - Thats a dangerous comment.

What if I choose to remember murders by *bleep* on graves? No, we have traditions, and customs. That's what makes a society. You don't celebrate every holiday any way you want, you do so according to the customs and traditions of your society. Other wise why even celebrate em? Like if I wanted to change christmas, and not use santa, or anything christmasy... well then im doing my OWN thing and NOT celebrating Christmas.

The people who died in war did so so that our traditions and customs would not be trampled and discarded. Yes they fought for us to be free, but they also fought for TRADITIONS and customs, and EVERYTHING that makes up our societies way of life.

But hey, I don't care if others disrespect the dead, but the OP isnt saying what people have to do, hes asking "why don't you people actually care" - Standing outside in the cold, enduring the weather is not even %1 of the hardships they had to endure. when I was in highschool I attended every remembrance day parades while I was in Cadets. Anyone who complains about having to be outside in the cold in remembrance day IN MY OPINION is a greedy selfish person who is only doing the event to be social and do what others are doing AND NOT TO REMEMBER THE DEAD.

Seems like lots of people in B.C. Have little to no respect for the dead it seems
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Verum wrote:People are entitled to celebrate remembrance however they personally choose and even if they choose. You have your method, they have their own and belittling those who do not adhere to your preferred approach is petty. We are afforded freedom by the actions of others, some we choose to remember on Remembrance Day, others we remember otherwise and many we forget. These people acted, lived and died so that we could live our lives without others dictating how. Perhaps the best way to honour these people is to do the same for others and not dictate or criticise others for how they live their own personal lives

We are also entitled to our opinions. We can thank the soldiers that fought for our freedoms including our Freedom of Speech.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Verum wrote:People are entitled to celebrate remembrance however they personally choose and even if they choose. You have your method, they have their own and belittling those who do not adhere to your preferred approach is petty. We are afforded freedom by the actions of others, some we choose to remember on Remembrance Day, others we remember otherwise and many we forget. These people acted, lived and died so that we could live our lives without others dictating how. Perhaps the best way to honour these people is to do the same for others and not dictate or criticise others for how they live their own personal lives

Safe to assume you’d approve of those kneeling during an anthem.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I dont think this is so much about how people choose to celebrate remembrance day as much as it is about how the city organized it. Im sure if it was held at the cenotaph those same people would have showed up there as well. This is also about how it made the Veterans feel. from the news storey

"As a veteran who has seen how some cenotaphs get the respect they deserve, I was ashamed of the lack of representation/respect I witnessed earlier today," wrote Dean Roosevelt. "The veterans who were there, besides myself, were hurt and angered by the lack of imagination that resulted in a very embarrassing situation."
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Here's the rub with that ...

People in Vernon DID attend their Cenotaph , including veterans .. But the band , local and "other" dignitaries preferred the warmth and comfort of the new multi purpose arena ??

Say what you want , it's not going to change my mind about the disgusting level of disrespect shown to those who gave so much so you could do so little in exchange ..

But , keep it up Verum .. Try to justify that .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

To me it seems that at some point the City of Vernon erected the Cenotaph to honor not only all those who died in the Wat but also their own Son's and Daughters who went off to the War and did not return.

It is totally disrespectful of them to not attend at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day!

The City officials should be ashamed of themselves.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “North Okanagan”