West Kelowna "The Projects"

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

West Kelowna "The Projects"

Post by Symbonite »

I know somewhere here this topic is around but i cant find it so merge if you can.

Anyways driving by the new buildings near McDonalds on Carrington road and I would be so mad if I was the people living at Lakewind Condos that is or should say was facing Mission Hill. now they get to see Two things...the projects and their plummeting value of their condo.

Just saying. Who approved of this?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: West Kelowna "The Projects"

Post by lightspeed »

Symbonite wrote:I know somewhere here this topic is around but i cant find it so merge if you can.

Anyways driving by the new buildings near McDonalds on Carrington road and I would be so mad if I was the people living at Lakewind Condos that is or should say was facing Mission Hill. now they get to see Two things...the projects and their plummeting value of their condo.

"Buyer beware".

You honestly think people were blind to the fact that vacant land could be built on in the future?

Public uproar. Public stupidity.

"Buyer beware" - do your due diligence, people.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Has anyone who lives there actually complained?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Symbonite wrote:I know somewhere here this topic is around but i cant find it so merge if you can.

Isn’t this WIB land?
If so, then the Band approved it. What on earth would one expect?
You and 71 others Like this post
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

LANDM wrote:Isn’t this WIB land?

Are you insinuating that because its band land was the only reason it was approved? What does it matter who's land it is?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

zerograv wrote:
LANDM wrote:Isn’t this WIB land?

Are you insinuating that because its band land was the only reason it was approved? What does it matter who's land it is?

*bleep* are you talking about?

That is *precisely* why I left the quote that I responded to in my response.
The OP asked who approved it.
I responded by *asking* if it was WIB land, because I thought it was but could be wrong. That is called an answer to a question.

No different than saying, if it was not on WIB land, that the city council approved it.

So yes, it totally matters whose jurisdiction it is as it entirely is responsible for the answer to the question that the OP posted.
You and 71 others Like this post
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

What on earth would one expect? :up:
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
ORWELL

Post by ORWELL »

10 years ago, the original project marketing was for 3 buildings, to be built in phases with 1 of the buildings given approval for up to 17 stories. Then market real estate “crash” in ’08ish and the other 2 buildings were shelved. So I find it really hard to fault those who bought into phase 1 that 10 years later something so dramatically non-conforming would be built in their place alongside.

From the links provided below:

-property in question – Free Hold
-Original developer bankruptcy after the first phase
-COWK approved this new project
-farther down in the COWK doc, it shows the colour schema of the completed buildings

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Age ... leID=11537

http://www.wfn.ca/landownershiproadsmap.htm
Blast

Post by Blast »

Concur. In May/June 2008 when we were looking for a Condo, this was what we were told. At the time any condo with a view was already sold in the original building. Lots of speculators prior to Spring 2008.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

The smartest people in the room realize it's generally better and more affordable to rent in a purpose-built rental apartment building, typically a newer, new-ish, or recently refurbished one (both "guts" and cosmetically). This is one of those classy, first rate development projects and I would welcome it. With a purpose-built apartment building, you have a dedicated management company managing every aspect, from tenant acquisition & selection to building maintenance and upkeep. There's even going to be an amenity building for the building's renters.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/wealthy-renter-how-to-choose-housing-that-will-make-you-rich/oclc/943643466?referer=di&ht=edition

And let's face it, most of Lakewind's (and nearby Aria, which is on WFN lands) occupants are likely renters from private condo owners.

Cheers,
Doug

Return to “Central Okanagan”