Finally! Action!

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Finally! Action!

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Housing for homeless

There should soon be no more cold nights or couch surfing for some of Vernon's homeless population after a major announcement from the B.C. government on Wednesday.

Approximately $11 million in provincial money will be spent on two projects designed to get people off of the street and out of tent cities.

One is a new, permanent modular-housing project to be located on land owned by BC Housing at 27th Avenue and 35th Street which will provide 53 supportive housing units for people transitioning out of homelessness. These will be self-contained units with personal kitchens and washrooms.

As well, a new permanent modular shelter with approximately 45 beds will be constructed at 2307 43rd Street to expand capacity of the current homeless shelter and transitional housing development at Howard House.

All of the units will be operated by the John Howard Society of the North Okanagan.

Work is expected to start in the new year.

The NDP government has promised to build 2,000 modular units throughout B.C. over two years.

"We know there's an urgent need to address homelessness in Vernon and communities throughout British Columbia," said Selina Robinson, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. "These modular projects will make an incredible difference in the lives of vulnerable people in the city who are struggling to find and maintain stable housing."

City councillors had lobbied hard for help as the homeless problem grew over the last two years.

"We're pleased to see the province step up to address homelessness with support to deliver these modular housing units in Vernon," said Mayor Akbal Mund.

Vernon follows Vancouver as the second B.C. community to include modular housing as part of a solution to help address homelessness.

"The announcement of modular housing projects in Vernon is a significant milestone for us," said Kelly Fehr and Randene Wejr, co-executive directors of the John Howard Society. "We're pleased to be partnering with the province to provide supportive housing to those in need."

In October, Fehr reported that 153 people in Vernon were known to be homeless.

Great start!
Chyren
Board Meister

Re: Finally! Action!

Post by Chyren »

Absolutely torn on this.

We live in a housing situation where people that work hard are having a brutal time finding homes, yet we are supplying people who, for whatever reason, are homeless.

We live in a country where currently people get free noxolone for their drug habits but kids need to pay for insulin.

Yet,

We live in a country that believes in helping those less fortunate.

I just would rather be giving a "hand up" instead of a "hand out" I suppose. Really torn on this.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If that option exist then the city needs to be far more aggressive in removing those homeless who still insist on tenting or basically taking over certain areas with the associated BS - They will be back
Because_They_Lie
Banned

"For whatever reason" - There are varied reasons for homelessness.

Just as there are varied reasons for those who cannot afford the growing rental/mortgage costs.

ALL human beings have a right to safety & protection from the elements, a home.

We begin with housing for the currently homeless, the next step on the agenda should be "affordable housing" for the growing poor and declining middle class.

Both are mandatory.

Providing free housing is far different than providing free drugs - one saves a life - the other destroys a life.

All humans have three basic NEEDS: Food/water, clothing & shelter.

If you love humanity you will have no reason to feel torn on the issue of whether or not any single human being is worthy of shelter.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

We shouldn't just lump all the "homeless" into one category, and take a "one size fits all approach". For example, those who are homeless because they suffer some kind of mental illness are going to need a different kind of help than those who are homeless because they are unemployed. And those who have spiraled down into homelessness because they are drug addicts will need a different kind of help again.

The mentally ill need some kind of group housing that has a responsible adult in charge who can help them adjust to everyday life, arrange for them to see mental health professionals, and help them link up with the various government programs that are available to them. This kind of housing set up would have to be a permanent, government run facility.

The unemployed need temporary shelter where they can get help with their job search and resume writing skills. It needs to be a place where they can have access to a computer (to search and apply for jobs), a phone (to receive interview calls), a shower (to look presentable for said interview), money for a haircut (same reason) and a selection of gently used clothing. All designed to get them back into the workforce.

And the drug addicts need help getting off the drug, with lots of follow up help to make sure they don't fall "off the wagon". It' s no good spending a fortune getting them clean only to turf them back out on the street and have the cycle start all over again.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

awesome, so homeless get *bleep* built for them while working class, minimum wage workers, and people struggling get nothing.

So let me get this straight, the hostels and already set up places for homeless to go have never NOT had a bed available, (IE NEVER needed to get funding for more beds as they are never full) and they refuse to use that, so the city is going to build them housing, they dont have to pay for, because they refuse to use the already in place systems? yay progress?

Also, this is nothing but a temporary solution. What happens when those homes get filled? Back to square one.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

I have really wracked my brain today on this...here's a suggestion:

To get a home provided you, as a homeless person, have X number of days to find employment. 10 percent of your income goes to costs of the home while you get on your feet so to speak. Work and pay your bills until you're able to get out of the home provided and into a regular contributing member of society.

As long as you're working and trying to get a better life then the home is there.

thoughts?
buttreyphillips

Post by buttreyphillips »

I am glad to hear this and it is a start. I would imagine that the homeless still receive some sort of minimum income from the government and I hope a portion of this will go towards their housing cost. I believe this is important not only to fund this but is equally important for the homeless person to contribute. There's no free rides for anyone in life. This is a hand up not a hand out and could put some of the homeless on the right track. Having a place to call your own is good in so many ways. Only time will tell but I do believe it's a good thing. Something had to be done. It was totally getting out of control. I'm also hoping this will give them a sense of community for the City of Vernon and it's other citizens and to show respect by keeping their units clean and garbage free. It will be nice to see less food carts littering our highways and byways.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

bhahah ya right
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I bet all the neighbors in those 2 locations are happy. NOT
Because_They_Lie
Banned

slimebucket wrote:awesome, so homeless get *bleep* built for them while working class, minimum wage workers, and people struggling get nothing.

So let me get this straight, the hostels and already set up places for homeless to go have never NOT had a bed available, (IE NEVER needed to get funding for more beds as they are never full) and they refuse to use that, so the city is going to build them housing, they dont have to pay for, because they refuse to use the already in place systems? yay progress?

Also, this is nothing but a temporary solution. What happens when those homes get filled? Back to square one.

Most of these statements above are untrue.

Hostels cost $.

beds have been unavailable many times.

They have indeed needed funding - where in the world do you live?

They do not refuse to use these spaces when available.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Merry wrote:We shouldn't just lump all the "homeless" into one category, and take a "one size fits all approach". For example, those who are homeless because they suffer some kind of mental illness are going to need a different kind of help than those who are homeless because they are unemployed. And those who have spiraled down into homelessness because they are drug addicts will need a different kind of help again.

The mentally ill need some kind of group housing that has a responsible adult in charge who can help them adjust to everyday life, arrange for them to see mental health professionals, and help them link up with the various government programs that are available to them. This kind of housing set up would have to be a permanent, government run facility.

The unemployed need temporary shelter where they can get help with their job search and resume writing skills. It needs to be a place where they can have access to a computer (to search and apply for jobs), a phone (to receive interview calls), a shower (to look presentable for said interview), money for a haircut (same reason) and a selection of gently used clothing. All designed to get them back into the workforce.

And the drug addicts need help getting off the drug, with lots of follow up help to make sure they don't fall "off the wagon". It' s no good spending a fortune getting them clean only to turf them back out on the street and have the cycle start all over again.

All of the above ideas have already been established within your community, you seem unaware.

A sick society creates sick human beings, one which elects government officials for the wrong reasons, money and resources being spent on a sheet of ice last year in the north end when many have no jobs, shelter or food.

Priorities are *ss backward - basic needs in the year 2017 still being unmet. I can't even....

To me this is FINALLY a step forward, 1 step ... many more need to follow.

There are some amazing people out there, amazing not for profits, churches etc. that have been the ones making the difference in the lives of those with severe challenges, such as the homeless and the low income earners.

The government, the VOICE of the PEOPLE, seems to love professional hockey more than a down and out living human being.

An Ungodly purely narcissistic society
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

I have a problem with the amount of money they're spending. 11 million to basically house 98 people works out to over $100,000 per person. One of my ideas was buy up all the decent used campers in the area for $800 and less each. Somebody that owns a big empty lot in Vernon give them a huge tax break to set up all the campers in one area on that lot. You could pipe all of the campers for the propane needed for the furnace. And run electricity to all of them for the lights. Supply the area with the proper out houses. And hire 24-hour Security on site because you'd be saving money on everything else. Every homeless person basically gets their own condo/ camper. Mental Health and Social Services would have one area to go to to try and take care of people and visit them and assess them and do whatever else they need to do. If the homeless play by the rules and no drugs or anything else they get to stay in their camper for free. I wouldn't care if my tax dollars are going to their propane to warm themselves their electricity and a cheap camper to live in. I personally bought a camper 2 years ago for $500 all the appliances work it doesn't leak and it's a great little camper. But to spend $110,000 per person is crazy in my opinion. You would probably have people donating Campers or even giving them away for a tax write-off at that point.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

So after they spend this 11+ million , built these homeless shelters ,then the homeless people move in there will be no more homeless people in Vernon ? or will another couple of bus load of homeless people show up in Vernon and demand the same or better shelters ??? It will be a never ending cycle and who's going to paying for this ????
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

"They have indeed needed funding - where in the world do you live?" hey dude im just passing along what scott anderson says

he says he doesnt understand all this want for homeless shelters as the ones in place have never been full up.

Also to answer your question, I live in Calgary as I couldnt stand how the vernon government dealt with its problems in Vernon. They fill their pockets while the working man suffers. It drove me away

So after they spend this 11+ million , built these homeless shelters ,then the homeless people move in there will be no more homeless people in Vernon ? or will another couple of bus load of homeless people show up in Vernon and demand the same or better shelters ??? It will be a never ending cycle and who's going to paying for this ???? - EXACTLY My POINT

once they full up, what about all the other bums that hear of this and come, then more, and more and more??? The problem is not with giving them free stuff, its about turning them into useful people.

In vancouver and vernon I spent years trying to help homeless. I learnt that MOST of them (not all) choose to be there and if they are givin a chance to get out, they will choose not to take it. I set up homeless with easy minimum wage jobs like pushing a wheel barrel full of nails on a construction site, or picking up garbage, or cleaning, and out of around 200 people I set up with easy jobs, not one came back the next day. Then when I would go search for the homeless person and ask why they gave up the answer every SINGLE time is "I dont want to do what I am told. I don't want to be controlled, I want to my own thing. Please leave me alone now"

Moving them into housing doesnt change the core problem, just moves the problem to another location

Return to “North Okanagan”