Lake Country's Ron Volk - you go Ron !!!!!!!

Tootsie
Board Meister

Lake Country's Ron Volk - you go Ron !!!!!!!

Post by Tootsie »

Yay Ron ! for posting your letter:
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#211273

You state what many of us are feeling. In my opinion District of Lake Country jumped the gun in agreeing to the terms of the rail trail. They didn't do their homework before signing the dotted line. Did not one of those nitwits on council say "mmmm how are we going to pay for this without raising taxes?". It's all very nice and good dreaming of lovely things that you'd like to have.
But reality sucks.
Hey I'd like a new fancy house, new car, lots of new clothes, be able to go on some nice tropical vacations.
The reality is - I would have to actually THINK ahead before jumping ahead and getting any of them. I would have to say "well, how am I going to pay for these things". Because guess what - I can't afford it !
Why does the district think they are any different from the rest of us ?

So now they're scrambling - trying to figure out HOW they're going to PAY for the fancy new toy. Hey here's an idea - why not sell City Hall? Nice central property worth a few bucks? Get rid of a lot of fat paycheques while we're at it.

Ducks were NOT in a row !
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Lake Country's Ron Volk - you go Ron !!!!!!!

Post by lightspeed »

Lake Country is run by ignorant cretins and hillbillies. It should be dismantled and go back to RDCO. Things were better then.

When they first ran this idea, people were told it would not cost taxpayers a cent. It was always BS and any old idiot could read through their BS.

Well....now Mayor Bumble and his cronies are in for a big surprise. There are a group of smart cookies out there who have outsmarted DLC.

I pray for the people of Lake Country that someone fresh runs for Mayor so they can jettison this sleeping 120 year old relic and secure some energetic leadership and vision. DLC is rotten to the core.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

When you get to the end of the letter he shows that he doesn't understand how property taxes work.

Each one will be different because it is based on the assessed value of your property and we all know how those assessments have gone up since the purchase of the rail line.

Assessments go up, but depending on whether they go up above the median or below the median the tax total will change. But this topic has been gone over and over again so I won't try and explain it again.

The reason that I bring this up is that it makes me think the author thinks about economics from the typical layperson point-of-view. The rest of the letter looks like the regular "politicians are idiots" rant. This purchase is progressive and helps support an effort this valley needs.

The good, bad, and the ugly. Politician or regular joe. The ballot will represent the thoughts of the majority.

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2017/11/leading-beyond-limits-mayoral-powers-in-the-age-of-new-localism/545981/
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:When you get to the end of the letter he shows that he doesn't understand how property taxes work.

Each one will be different because it is based on the assessed value of your property and we all know how those assessments have gone up since the purchase of the rail line.

Assessments go up, but depending on whether they go up above the median or below the median the tax total will change. But this topic has been gone over and over again so I won't try and explain it again.

The reason that I bring this up is that it makes me think the author thinks about economics from the typical layperson point-of-view. The rest of the letter looks like the regular "politicians are idiots" rant. This purchase is progressive and helps support an effort this valley needs.

The good, bad, and the ugly. Politician or regular joe. The ballot will represent the thoughts of the majority.

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2017/11/leading-beyond-limits-mayoral-powers-in-the-age-of-new-localism/545981/

You have a pro cyclist leisure agenda. You're claiming to be objective, but it's impossible for you to be so.

Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

The rest of the letter looks like the regular "politicians are idiots" rant. This purchase is progressive and helps support an effort this valley needs.

What? We NEED? How long you been here...or do you actually LIVE in Lake Country ? This community doesn't NEED a Rail Trail ! It NEEDS safe streets that people can actually walk or drive on. That aren't full of mine field potholes that you'll blow a tire on or break an ankle on. I really shake my head when I hear what people think communities "need".

Maybe in the future down the road yes the rail trail might be a lovely idea. But can we just deal with the present and our current Lake Country problems and not get all fluffed up about something a lot of people in Lake Country will not ever venture onto in their life time ?

Ya ya ya ...I can hear it now. You're not looking at the future. I AM looking at the future. A future full of debt and taxes. But but but - the District told us it won't impact our taxes. I'm calling total BS on this. Where else is the money going to come from ? Of course it will be taxes ! What else can they possibly sell to start paying the interest on the payment to Kelowna !
spooker

Post by spooker »

lightspeed wrote:You have a pro cyclist leisure agenda. You're claiming to be objective, but it's impossible for you to be so.

I'd actually qualify it as a "pro community" agenda ... cycling just happens to be one of the vehicles that I've seen help us regain community ... walking is another method ... connections between groups that don't speed along at 60kmh and keep people separated are what I feel our priorities need to be ... disconnecting people is how we ended up where we are now, getting angry and being left out of the conversation is what keeps us from finding solutions ...

Plus, new economic opportunities that come along with the Rail Trail can be realized ... no doubt they'll be disruptive ... disruptive is good, makes us actually think ...
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

So many lies were told to the people of LC about the rail trail and cost, we were told that it wasn't a loan, that we didn't have to pay it back etc. Over a year ago I asked city hall what the year cost to maintain this trail would be and they refused to give me an answer. Time for Baker and the rest of city hall to resign.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

I don't know about the majority of taxpayers, but I pay my tax's first and foremost for the maintenance of my community. Roads, water, sewer, sidewalks, ditches, culverts, traffic control and safety etc. When all of these are satisfied and if there's anything leftover, then spend a little on the fuzzy, feel good stuff, like $500,000.00 on benches for the tourists (in Kelowna). For gods sake !!!!!
Just another case of "Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget. Get it together, eh
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

As soon as the rail trail was rammed through, the DLC immediately added a "surcharge" of I believe $20 per household, to pay for the rail trail.

I believe everyone thought that amount would be on a separate line on our tax bills, but guess what, they just included that amount into the general taxes, so no one ,and I mean no one, will ever know what the real "surcharge is.

Baker is a lying old fart that needs to go yesterday.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:As soon as the rail trail was rammed through, the DLC immediately added a "surcharge" of I believe $20 per household, to pay for the rail trail.

I believe everyone thought that amount would be on a separate line on our tax bills, but guess what, they just included that amount into the general taxes, so no one ,and I mean no one, will ever know what the real "surcharge is.

Interesting, do you have a verifiable source for this information?
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:

Someone sensible with more than half a brain needs to run for Mayor. Time to oust the useless half asleep old fart.

RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

spooker wrote:When you get to the end of the letter he shows that he doesn't understand how property taxes work.

Totally agree with your take on Mr. Volk's "understanding" of economics and that his letter is more of a rant than anything else. So lets sell city hall and fire a bunch of overpaid bureaucrats so we can built a new one at double the price of the existing building and while we're at it pay out some severances to go along with it. Hmmm, ok, that makes a lot of sense. Sounds to me that Mr. Volk might have a personal vendetta against Mr. Baker? Buying the rail trail was then and still is progressive and in the long run will benefit LC and everyone else involved. Perhaps we'll see Mr. Volk's name on the next municipal ballot? Somehow I doubt it...
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

I tried to tell him that on the facebook, but he didn't get back to me :( Takes the power out of his piece.
So how does that old ***** get re elected. Sigh.
Goes to show that most people don't care.
Sad.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

lightspeed wrote:

[quote

You have a pro cyclist leisure agenda. You're claiming to be objective, but it's impossible for you to be so.

The difference is, Spooker realizes the Rail trail is a thing... and other don't yet realize that its a thing or how BIG a thing it can be..
My thoughts are , it will take care of its own cost quite nicely. .
And it will do so, long before the naysayers come on here and admit that it is happening.
The benefits will start next year, before its even Been 2 years and then we will all see.. and it wont even be finished and people will be coming..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”