Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by Bpeep »

I'm perfectly happy living anywhere.
Just being alive keeps me ecstatic.
People who blame a Canadian locale for their lack of happiness should reflect on those who were born in countries where a clean drink of water, a healthy meal or no govt oppression dominates their thoughts.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

Bman wrote:I'm perfectly happy living anywhere.
Just being alive keeps me ecstatic.
People who blame a Canadian locale for their lack of happiness should reflect on those who were born in countries where a clean drink of water, a healthy meal or no govt oppression dominates their thoughts.

^^^ This.

I had to sign on just to like this. :D
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^^^^^

Well, don't go away. We need your input! :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

The Okanagan would be a lot better if there were real work opportunities outside government employment.

If you peel back the first onion layer it's pretty easy to see the Kelowna is a government town. Forget the wineries and tourism and golf and whatever else people think drive the town.

Stack em up...School district, UBCO, OC, Regional Hospital and associated clinics and health services, City and Regional District, tourism promotion and economic development bodies....it goes on. Then think of the contractors and consultants who gain much of their income from tax funded projects. Then the endless retail that these government and government supported people use. And the dentists and dental techs, message therapists and psychiatrists who would be doing a lot less business without government sponsored payment.

The details escape me at the moment. But I did the math a few years ago with hard numbers and came up with something approaching 40% of the population gains either all or a good portion of their income from tax dollars or recycled tax dollars.

Unfortunately, it is a trend across Canada that is unsustainable. The more tax burden dumped on private business simply drives it away or creates an underground economy.

Trust me. I work out of the country and have been for years on multi-million dollar projects funded from Canada that 25 years ago was being spent in BC.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I like the Okanagan, but would probably be just as happy living elsewhere. Because happiness is more a state of mind than a product of where you live. That said, I prefer the smaller, less congested communities of the Okanagan to the zoo that is Kelowna.

The traffic is horrendous in Kelowna; far worse than similar size cities around the country, and the drivers are more inconsiderate as well. Prices are higher too than in other large shopping centres (I suspect that's because of the high rents the stores are having to pay). The beaches are nice (assuming you can find a place to park), but the stories I've heard about people finding discarded needles hidden in the sand are enough to keep me away. And it's disturbing to see so many homeless people hanging around. So, for me, the smaller towns and villages that don't have all those problems are much more appealing.

I drive into Ktown a few times a year to do some shopping, but am always glad when it's time to leave and drive back to a more relaxed lifestyle (and a lower crime rate).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

^ Kelowna has become a zoo. So true.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The reason Kelowna has issues such as heavy traffic and higher cost of living is that it's a desired place because it has something for everyone. I moved here in 98 and within 3 years my entire family had followed. My elderly folks wouldn't live somewhere without a regional hospital where as my sister wouldn't live somewhere without an international airport. Then there are the things we can all agree on such as how beautiful the landscape is and how wine tasting never gets old. That you can literally pick any outdoor activity you can think of and chances are it's available within an hour of downtown. It's also not such a small town that it doesn't attract acts or have decent restaurants and box stores to get the best deals. While the idea of living in a smaller town may seem quaint, there aren't the amenities that we get to take advantage of by living in a mid sized city.

As for traffic, to me we make too big a deal of it. From my perspective driving is one of the few times in my day when I only have one job to do. My car during my commute is a sanctuary free from cell phones, clients, family, kids, chores. I put on some good music or interesting talk radio and take my time. Getting riled up isn't going to get you there any quicker so you might as well enjoy the ride, take in the scenery and appreciate the fact we live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Poindexter wrote:the fact we live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

It's nice here for sure and at times it feels like paradise but I call you out on that type of statement. That's where the hype takes over and people start believing the hype and drinking the Kool Aid.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Poindexter wrote:My elderly folks wouldn't live somewhere without a regional hospital where as my sister wouldn't live somewhere without an international airport.

Both of which are easily accessible from some of the smaller Okanagan communities. It only takes me 40 mins to drive to the airport, on a nice straight highway that's easier to drive on than through the city. And Vernon hospital is only 20 minutes away. Doctors are sometimes easier to get in smaller communities as well; we've had one ever since we moved here 8 years ago.
Then there are the things we can all agree on such as how beautiful the landscape is and how wine tasting never gets old. That you can literally pick any outdoor activity you can think of

All of which is just as true in the smaller Okanagan communities as it is in Kelowna.
It's also not such a small town that it doesn't attract acts or have decent restaurants and box stores to get the best deals.

While it's true that Kelowna gets more "big name" type acts, and does have more restaurants, it's not a long drive for us to access those type of facilities whenever we want to. And in between there are a good selection of small theaters throughout the Okanagan. I live in Armstrong (home of the Caravan Farm Theater) plus we have a smaller community theater right in town, and there are theaters in both Salmon Arm and Vernon, each of which are only a half hour drive away. Vernon also has the auditorium for when bigger acts come to town. And while small towns may not have as many restaurant choices as Kelowna, they usually have a number of local pubs and cafes that provide great meals, as well as several "fancier" eating options in nearby communities. In my case, we can be in either Salmon Arm or Vernon in half an hour if we want to access a more upscale eating experience.
While the idea of living in a smaller town may seem quaint, there aren't the amenities that we get to take advantage of by living in a mid sized city.

Maybe not, but do you really use ALL of those amenities? Or do you tend to use only a small handful of favourites?
For me, nice as it may be to have access to more facilities, when I did live in a city the same size as Kelowna I tended to only use a few favoured ones on a regular basis. Which is exactly the same as I do now.
As for traffic, to me we make too big a deal of it.

No we don't; the traffic in Kelowna is awful, particularly for older drivers.
When I lived and worked in a much larger city I used to have to commute across traffic that was even worse, but I didn't enjoy doing it, and much prefer to live in a place where I don't have to.

Small towns aren't for everyone, but they're a good alternative for many. The cost of housing is usually a lot less, as is the cost of just about everything else as well (such as restaurant meals, and most recreational facilities), yet the "bright lights" of the city are within easy reach whenever you want to go.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

lightspeed wrote:It's nice here for sure and at times it feels like paradise but I call you out on that type of statement. That's where the hype takes over and people start believing the hype and drinking the Kool Aid.

Lol. Maybe that last line was a bit much. Still, while I've been to some places that may rival the beauty of the BC Interior, I can't think of many that would also be a suitable place to find work and raise raise a family. In my opinion were fortunate because Kelowna is a rare "have our cake and eat it too" place to live.

Added: Merry, I can't disagree with what you're saying, Armstrong sounds like a great place to call home. A little too lazy for me right now but one day I may feel differently.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I guess it is all a matter of perspective.
Moved from Vancouver just over 15 years ago.
Kelowna has less traffic, less pollution, less crime, and you can actually afford a house. :up:

Great hospital, University, international airport, gorvernment services, great ski hills, and lovely lakes.

I just wish people would stop talking up the place so much. :biggrin:
"FeK off" we are full! [icon_lol2.gif]
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

My brother still lives there (I used to) so I have a pace to stay when I want to visit. It still is a nice place to visit. Done the wine tour thing but there are definitely some nice golf courses (although a bit on the gouge the tourists side in cost to play). Thing is, there are many incredibly beautiful places to live and visit in BCs interior, just as nice (if not nicer in many ways) and far more affordable. I would never move back to Kelowna myself, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone who likes living there.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

I get really tired listening to people who bleat on about how wonderful and beautiful and amazing that is the Okanagan.

The Okanagan is good. It would be better if it had a decent employment base.

But folks who carry on about how amazing the Okanagan is really need to get out more, travel and see the world. There are a lot more amazing places out there than this valley.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:I get really tired listening to people who bleat on about how wonderful and beautiful and amazing that is the Okanagan.The Okanagan is good. It would be better if it had a decent employment base.But folks who carry on about how amazing the Okanagan is really need to get out more, travel and see the world. There are a lot more amazing places out there than this valley.

Nailed it :up:
Love the coast on a nice day. Rupert to Victoria.
Cariboo in September and October when the bugs have gone and before the cold sets in.
Kootenay's in the fall when the Larch are turning colours. Might even get lucky and bag an Elk.

Vancouver growing up.... sailing Sunday morning, tennis in the afternoon, and then night skiing at Grouse in the evening. All within about 20 min. drive (then) 1 hour today..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:I get really tired listening to people who bleat on about how wonderful and beautiful and amazing that is the Okanagan.

The Okanagan is good. It would be better if it had a decent employment base.

But folks who carry on about how amazing the Okanagan is really need to get out more, travel and see the world. There are a lot more amazing places out there than this valley.

It would be interesting to know where *your* more amazing places are.....as I’m sure that others could find ways to comment negatively.

I actually have gotten out and travelled a lot of the world. In ways that allow me to actually get to know areas and the people, more than the average tourist.

The Okanagan *is* a beautiful place....whether it is the most beautiful, or one of the most beautiful, or a total feces-hole, is simply a subjective statement that seems to be bantered around here as fact. Everyone has valid opinions but I am always amazed when people seem to hate where they live. Why not move somewhere better, especially if almost everywhere is better?

The fact is that most people like to live in larger cities.....that’s why they exist (larger simply meaning larger than smaller).
Whether I like to, or not, is simply a preference, just as those of you saying that living in a rural area is so great.
It’s simply preference.

Now, if it was a matter of everyone sticking to the topic, it would be far more fascinating to hear why people stay in an area that they don’t like, with all of the huge problems being thrown out there. If one is not happy being here, why be here?
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Central Okanagan”