Family Doctors retiring too quickly in Vernon. Help?

levigames

Family Doctors retiring too quickly in Vernon. Help?

Post by levigames »

It seems Vernon is currently beginning to experience the beginning of a vast Family Doctor shortage. Many resident are becoming senior citizens, part of the baby boomer generation, and have firstly been relocating to the Okanagan to enjoy their retirement but are secondly requiring more health issues which require regular Doctor visits.

This increased need combined with a large percentage of family physicians nearing or have already retired and closure of the majority of our walknin clinics may likely be the first indications of a huge shortage in medical Doctors in our area. It is looking like a perfect storm queueing.

I truly hope I am incorrect but all signs point to severe shortage which will result in problems for all residents when in need of healthcare. The least of concern will be long waits.

My youngish (early 40's and a young teen Son) are fortunate to have a family Doctor. My mother in law hasn't been so blessed. In the last six months she had her long term physician retire, and her replacement Doctor was forced into early or unanticipated retirement due to his own health issues.

Can anyone possibly recommend a local family physician who might consider taking her as a new patient? She is generally fairly healthy and 64 years young. She shouldn't be any burden overloading the Doctor's schedule but nobody plans to have poor health in the future either.

If you may be able please advise by reply or private message.

Many Thanks and best wishes to all!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Family Doctors retiring too quickly in Vernon. Help?

Post by GordonH »

Here is search tool for finding a Doctor.
https://www.cpsbc.ca/physician_search
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

There is one doctor in Vernon who is always taking patients, but I would suggest staying clear of him as he does not have a very good reputation in Vernon.

You can ask your own GP if they would take your mother-in-law on, or if she visits a walk-in and is seeing a doctor she likes or has heard positive things about, she can always ask them if they are accepting new patients.

Here's the link for ratings doctors in Vernon. Good luck and I hope she find someone.

https://www.ratemds.com/best-doctors/bc/vernon/family-gp/
levigames

Post by levigames »

A sincere "Thank You" to both of you who have taken a minute to reply.

I have viewed the cpsbc website and with only one listed it begs the question is this the same professional possibly to which Coffeefreak and others have expressed concerns regarding? I am unsure.

Truly I am not stating negatively towards any local G.P. as I do not have any personal experience with them and it would be totally unfair to even insinuate otherwise. The only informative I have accessed is other people's personal opinions.

I can report that Dr. Fair (who valiantly stayed on at Gartree walk-in until the end is rated #1 on webmds for Vernon. Upon search on Google it only list his last professional address at Gartree. It now shows what appears to be his home address and phone? I didn't try calling but I know the address to be residential only. This may indicate he has retired and speak to what a caring physician he was while working. Not many, even active Doctors, will divulge their personal contact information.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

one of the problems is doctors make a chit load of money these days so there able to retire early which adds to the burden
add to that the low % of people accepted that apply to be a doctor that are accepted
over 40000 applications and something like 6-7% acceptance rate
There was a good article this summer showing the cracks in our system where a women from Ontario had to go to the
Caribbean to get her doctorship and after went to the us and is very successful
My Doctor works 9-4 3-4 days a week and gross,s 440K per year less expenses so around 280K net
levigames

Post by levigames »

I completely agree. Then we have Canadian born and educated Doctors which are being headhunted by American (or other Countries) who offer substantially more income, opportunities to work with the most advanced leading edge equipment and interact amongst some of the top medical professionals in the world. All these incentives combined make it extremely difficult for us to compete for talent.

Return to “North Okanagan”