Buy Your Home Now If You Can

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Buy Your Home Now If You Can

Post by Hmmm »

To all those still waiting for the housing crash to occur. Recent forecast is the median house value will be over $1,000,000 by 2040. There really is reason to think that values will plummet as some of you seem to think. So, if you can and if you wish to remain in Kelowna, buy your home ASAP.

By 2040, it's expected the median price of a house will nearly double to almost $1 million, while wages will go up only about 50 per cent.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-212079-1-.htm#212079
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Re: Buy Your Home Now If You Can

Post by AlienSoldier »

At that price do you think the population of the City will continue to grow, or reverse? Many people choose Kelowna because of the conveniences but also the price point is still better than Vancouver, Calgary and other major centers.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

AlienSoldier wrote:At that price do you think the population of the City will continue to grow, or reverse? Many people choose Kelowna because of the conveniences but also the price point is still better than Vancouver, Calgary and other major centers.

Price point is not better than Calgary or Edmonton. The last 2 years have hit Calgary hard and dropped prices there dramatically.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Many people expect a soft crash on the Kelowna real estate market in 1-2 years. We have already seen the price escalation slow down in 2017 relative to 2016. That said, how can you put a price on not having to worry and speculate on the market for your own owner-occupied building? Buy now is one solution.

Kelowna is crazy, hope all these downtown towers result in an inventory surplus. Ella, One Water Street, and Ellis Parc all came out strong in their first weeks' sales, but once that happened (I presume quite a few are speculators looking for pre-sales pricing) the action has been a lot slower.

Remember around 2007-2008 there were many towers planned in Kelowna because of the "hot market"? Even the Madison on Ellis Street struggled to sell their remaining units as they were already under construction. 24 Kelowna, and others (including the one next to the Madison on Doyle Ave) didn't come to fruition because of lack of demand.

Another one that comes to mind is SOPA Square, I believe even until recently they have been selling units, and this project is old (as in a few years).
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Hmmm wrote:To all those still waiting for the housing crash to occur. Recent forecast is the median house value will be over $1,000,000 by 2040. There really is reason to think that values will plummet as some of you seem to think. So, if you can and if you wish to remain in Kelowna, buy your home ASAP.

By 2040, it's expected the median price of a house will nearly double to almost $1 million, while wages will go up only about 50 per cent.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-212079-1-.htm#212079

wages will only go up 50% he says [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] how does this goof even come up with this only 50% fyi more like 10%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

AlienSoldier wrote:At that price do you think the population of the City will continue to grow, or reverse? Many people choose Kelowna because of the conveniences but also the price point is still better than Vancouver, Calgary and other major centers.

Yes, but prices in Vancouver will be probably $3M so it's still going to be a bargain.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

2040 is a long way down the road. In the meantime, prices and property sales numbers will ebb and flow. I just take this as more of the same thing we've seen from City Hall over the years. I expect the next 22 years will include many more expressions of concern about how the city is developing, followed by complete abdication of their responsibility to control that development whenever a developer with a fat wallet walks in.
Speaking of...I wonder if Westcorp will have built their waterfront hotel by 2040, how tall it ends up and how much of it actually ends up being hotel space.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

I doubt it will take until 2040 to reach that milestone. I understand Kelowna is the fastest growing city in Canada right now. Canada is seen globally as one of, if not the, safest politically and economically place to live and invest your money. I would love to see some stats on this but I bet the migration we are seeing coming to Kelowna is not just Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto but significant international folks as well.

Expect to see bungalows and bi levels in Rutland to cost around $1M in 7-8 years I predict.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That's valid, because I'm going to be 76 by 2040 and if the vast majority of Kelowna's population now are seniors, they're all passed away. Will young people be able to afford to buy up their properties and have families here? Grow the population?

Or will just more seniors my age be moving in and trying to handle all the single family dwellings? One thing for sure, they won't be able to handle those tall, narrow townhouses with tonnes of stairs the moment you walk into the front door.

Which is how the fourplexes are being built.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Housing Shortage a Myth in Kelowna too?

Post by wanderer »

Could it be that the problem occurring in Vancouver is being replicated here in Kelowna? The possibility that there isn't a shortage of housing, rather it's because of speculative investment that many houses, condos, etc are not occupied? I don't know the answer, I'm just putting it out there to see if other people have an idea or opinion. I appreciate Mr. Basran hasn't said a housing shortage, and admits it will be a complex issue.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ing-crisis
Kelowna's Housing Crisis

Kelowna has a housing crisis, and it doesn't only affect the homeless or disenfranchised.

If current trends continue, it will get much, much worse over the next 20 years.

The solution? Complex at best says Mayor Colin Basran.

"We should be looking at everything. Nothing should be off the table. This is a huge concern for most residents in our community, and there isn't one single solution," said Basran

Yet in Vancouver the stats tell a different story than a shortage of housing.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/professor-calls-me ... -1.3686691
Professor calls Metro Vancouver's housing shortage a 'myth'

Politicians and developers have long pointed the finger at a shortage in supply as a root cause of Metro Vancouver’s skyrocketing home prices.

A local academic, however, is now challenging what he calls the myth that simply adding more units will help solve the problem.

In a report he plans to release Friday, Rose uses figures from Statistics Canada census reports in his analysis. His number crunching found that for every 100 individuals or families who moved to the region since 2001, 119 housing units were also added to the market.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If the Bank of Canada continues to raise interest rates, I suspect many homeowners will be in big trouble. Being able to make their mortgage payments.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

A lot the new skinny townhouses are being built with either an elevator or a roughed-in elevator. Usually this takes place in the area where the pantry is on the main floor and a linen closet is upstairs. When time arrives they just open up the floor and don't need to do much changes in terms of the structure of the house.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh good, here's your $700,000 townhouse but you have to still add the elevator.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Housing Shortage a Myth in Kelowna too?

Post by Hassel99 »

Already being discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=75652

*I've merged them. Thanks!/ferri
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

You don't need to spend $700,000 for a townhouse - yet.

Return to “Central Okanagan”