Why the delay?

Cactusflower
Banned

Why the delay?

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/212097/Why-the-delay

Yet another black eye for the aquaculture industry. Why do these Atlantic salmon farmers toss all their garbage in the ocean? Because it's convenient and they know they can get away with it. The BC government has no teeth and the feds don't give a fig what happens out here on the west coast. Where is the public outrage over this? Why are we not fighting along with the First Nations to put an end to those sea-pens? Castanet readers are basically from the Okanagan and it's very inconvenient for most of us to travel to the coast to show our support for those who are fighting to save our wild salmon, but many of us have friends and relatives out there. We must get them involved in this.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Why the delay?

Post by alanjh595 »

Maybe because
A group of First Nations and environmentalists are occupying a salmon farm near Alert Bay, B.C., and say they won't leave until the provincial and federal governments revoke permits for the facility.
Who can be sure as to who, what, when, or why these bags were where they are today?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4268234
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Bags of fish food made from fish bits....
Personally, I'm not a fan of open sea fish farms. I understand they have been moved to onshore or closed in Norway and Scotland for the reason regarding they are detrimental to native fish. Escaped Atlantic fish have been seen in rivers and creeks on our coast. ( my kids mother has seen them)( Fish Bio.)
Ocean Falls for example has a tremendous location for a shore based fish farm. Lots of fresh water, lots of power ( hydro) and maybe even a ferry service. A large dock as well.
Perhaps if the FN could advocate and offer up locations and a work force, there might be a revisit. have to get an ear of a Fed. politician though.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

seewood wrote:Bags of fish food made from fish bits....
Personally, I'm not a fan of open sea fish farms. I understand they have been moved to onshore or closed in Norway and Scotland for the reason regarding they are detrimental to native fish. Escaped Atlantic fish have been seen in rivers and creeks on our coast. ( my kids mother has seen them)( Fish Bio.)
Ocean Falls for example has a tremendous location for a shore based fish farm. Lots of fresh water, lots of power ( hydro) and maybe even a ferry service. A large dock as well.
Perhaps if the FN could advocate and offer up locations and a work force, there might be a revisit. have to get an ear of a Fed. politician though.

Finn Donnelly is still the Burnaby MP, isn't he? Maybe I should try sending him another e-mail. He didn't reply to my last one. I was very respectful, too. Has anyone else tried to contact him about this?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Finn Donnelly is still the Burnaby MP, isn't he? Maybe I should try sending him another e-mail. He didn't reply to my last one. I was very respectful, too. Has anyone else tried to contact him about this?

*removed* I do hope that you find someone in government willing to listen to you. Perhaps you should try Jenny Kwanumist? She might actually respond. Richard Cannings too.
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:Finn Donnelly is still the Burnaby MP, isn't he?

Port Moody, Coquitlam. He shouldn't be though, after the crap that asshat pulled.

Kennedy Stewart and Terry Beech are the Burnaby MP's.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Finn Donnelly is still the Burnaby MP, isn't he?

Port Moody, Coquitlam. He shouldn't be though, after the crap that asshat pulled.

Kennedy Stewart and Terry Beech are the Burnaby MP's.

What 'crap' would that be, GB? Did it have something to do with aquaculture garbage washing up on island beaches?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4413240

Uh-oh.......I guess the people who are accustomed to eating oily, artificially coloured 'salmon' won't be saving as much on their next trip to the local fish market.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:What 'crap' would that be, GB? Did it have something to do with aquaculture garbage washing up on island beaches?

He was the idiot who lied about the Kurdi family applying for Canadian citizenship and being rejected, and then Mulcair didn't have the balls to discipline him for it. It's a testament to how dumb the people of his riding are that he was re-elected in 2015 (of course I'd say that about any riding that elects an NDP). And he's not even the MP for Burnaby, which is what you wanted right? Not sure that it really matters what riding the MP is in as long as its someone willing to help you. As I said, try Jenny Kwanumist. She's really got to work hard to keep her constituents happy, or she might only win by 10,000 votes next election. :topic:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

A series of storms is to blame for washing thousands of plastic feed bags washed ashore on the Broken Group Islands.

That according to a fish farm off the coast of western Vancouver Island.

In a statement released Tuesday, Omega Pacific Sea Farms said it was "concerned about a report from Parks Canada that a number of empty plastic feed bags have been recovered from the shores of four islands in the Broken Group."

The company said its Jane Bay farm in Barkley Sound was hit by several storms which partially sank one of its barges.

As the company was trying to salvage the battered barge, a second storm Nov. 6 led to a number of bags going into the ocean.

Parks Canada said some 2,000 bags were found on Nov. 10 washed ashore on four of the Broken Group of Islands, a protected area of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.

First Nations, environmental clean-up groups and local NDP MP Gord Johns didn't find out about the spill until Fri., Nov. 17, through CTV media coverage and blasted Parks Canada for not notifying them earlier.

A Parks Canada memo suggests a local aquaculture company could face charges in the matter, but the company has not yet been named.

More plastic in the oceans killing sea life. Thank God the storms washed the bags up on the shorelines so that people can get it out. This world wide problem isn't going away any day soon and is a travesty to our aquatic environment. So yes, why the delay to get open ocean salmon farms out of the Pacific? What is the argument exactly to keep it there after it's so proven to be harmful to wild salmon?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

IF there indeed 1000's of bags recovered, why not show a picture of those bags? Why only show 4 bags?
Capture.JPG

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/212183 ... e-for-bags
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:IF there indeed 1000's of bags recovered, why not show a picture of those bags? Why only show 4 bags?
Capture.JPG

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/212183 ... e-for-bags

Maybe the photographer didn't have a wide-angle lens. Maybe nobody expected someone to question the veracity of the story. Maybe the salmon farmers should have gone out and picked up their garbage instead of letting volunteer groups do it for them.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Pretty small evidence to support a very large claim. At least they could have stacked them all up and just showed one label. I think the whole story is embellished to the point of lying outright.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:Pretty small evidence to support a very large claim. At least they could have stacked them all up and just showed one label. I think the whole story is embellished to the point of lying outright.

Easy there, fella. You're getting close to being on the receiving end of a libel suit. Why not just initiate a Castanet poll to see how many readers agree with you?

BTW, do you work at one of those aquaculture facilities?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The largest portion of that photograph shows ALL of the woman and a large portion of sundeck behind her. The offending bags get the smallest priority of the photo. Where's the evidence of "thousands of recovered bags"?

Return to “B.C.”