Why the delay?

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why the delay?

Post by Rwede »

Why isn't Horgan doing anything about this?

Why is Horgan so negligent? As self-professed premier of this province, he's done nothing about preventing this from happening again.

What does this have to do with donations to the NDP from the United Fishermen & Allied Workers Union?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Rwede wrote:Why isn't Horgan doing anything about this?

Why is Horgan so negligent? As self-professed premier of this province, he's done nothing about preventing this from happening again.

What does this have to do with donations to the NDP from the United Fishermen & Allied Workers Union?

It has nothing to do with it because aquaculture has nothing to do with fishing.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

BINGO. You nailed it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:

It has nothing to do with it because aquaculture has nothing to do with fishing.

BUT....it has everything to do with "farming" and food safety and pollution, and protection of marine life.
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:Easy there, fella. You're getting close to being on the receiving end of a libel suit.

LOL - after all the lies that have been told by the nutty anti-Site C gang, you are going to fear-monger about libel? Oh my goodness. Alan makes a good point - where's the proof? That's all Alan is really saying. Prove it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

alanjh595 wrote:The largest portion of that photograph shows ALL of the woman and a large portion of sundeck behind her. The offending bags get the smallest priority of the photo. Where's the evidence of "thousands of recovered bags"?

Alan - quit disrupting the narrative by asking questions.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Cactusflower wrote:It has nothing to do with it because aquaculture has nothing to do with fishing.

Damn! You're right! It's actually the Steelworkers who represent the fish farm workers. My mistake, thanks for pointing it out.

It's even worse, the USW donated FAR more to Horgan and the NDP than the allied fishermen.

Contributor Name Date From Date To Contributor Class Filer Name Filer Type Affiliation Electoral District Event Name
steelworkers (ALL) (ALL) (ALL) BC NDP (ALL) (ALL)
Modify SearchPrinter Friendly Download Search Results
Search Results
Total Contribution For This Search: $2,996,849.03

Looks like that $3 million they donated to the NDP is paying dividends by Horgan's keeping these polluting farms open.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:The largest portion of that photograph shows ALL of the woman and a large portion of sundeck behind her. The offending bags get the smallest priority of the photo. Where's the evidence of "thousands of recovered bags"?

Alan - quit disrupting the narrative by asking questions.

Oh......sorry. Carry on.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The NDP made noise about fish farms before, in the 1990s. Then nothing happened. The DFO has and makes noise about fish farming - then nothing happens. Will we see the current NDP do the same?

Certainly the fish farming issue is a toxic mix for all politicians, with a mix of unions, FNs, plus the industry in general having vested interest in the status quo, then another politically toxic mix on the side of change.

Here is a review from 1995 recommending, among other things, that the government work with stakeholders to develop closed systems: http://www.eao.gov.bc.ca/files/ea_review/SAR_summary_report.pdf

And today on the DFO website: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/programs-programmes/containment-eng.htm

"Here in Canada, closed containment is predominantly used for hatchery production to supply the aquaculture industry with stock. However, a pilot project in British Columbia, partly funded under the Aquaculture Innovation and Market Access Program, is exploring the real-world feasibility of adult salmon production to validate the assumptions and findings of the financial feasibility study.

Industry-led initiatives will continue to play a major role in the advancement of closed containment and other aquaculture production technologies. Fisheries and Oceans Canada takes an ongoing interest in these developments and encourages the sharing of information between all parties."

So it looks like it took 20 years to finally get something, anything at all, going from the report given to the NDP in the mid 1990s.

I would NOT expect much in the way of quick action on the whole fish farms file. It seems to me that all politicians just want it to "go away". That's wrong. The work that should have been long completed is still in its infancy. Let's see if looney Lana can actually accomplish anything on this file.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Thanks, HG. I agree with everything you wrote, but did you have to go and spoil it all with that disrespectful last sentence?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hey, give Horgan $3 million, and the farms stay open irrespective of the consequences.

Complete corruption within the HorganNDP.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I spent half my afternoon reading those two links provided by HG. What did I learn from all that? That we'd be better off to stop 'salmon farming' and follow Alaska's lead:
http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/salmon-f ... n-ranching

Wild salmon ranching has its drawbacks as well, but not nearly as many as Atlantic salmon farming. According to all that mind-bending research done by DFO, it's obvious that those BC Atlantic salmon farmers will never agree to go the closed containment route, so the government will have to refuse to renew all Atlantic salmon farm licences. The farmers will then have to leave BC entirely or apply for wild salmon ranching licences.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:I spent half my afternoon reading those two links provided by HG. What did I learn from all that? That we'd be better off to stop 'salmon farming' and follow Alaska's lead:
http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/salmon-f ... n-ranching

Wild salmon ranching has its drawbacks as well, but not nearly as many as Atlantic salmon farming. According to all that mind-bending research done by DFO, it's obvious that those BC Atlantic salmon farmers will never agree to go the closed containment route, so the government will have to refuse to renew all Atlantic salmon farm licences. The farmers will then have to leave BC entirely or apply for wild salmon ranching licences.

I quote the last paragragh to the above noted link:
What are the risks of ranching or farming salmon?
Whether salmon ranching or salmon farming, the benefits of growing salmon for human consumption are clear - providing a healthy and efficient protein without additional strain on natural, wild salmon populations. But, as with any food production, there are also risks. There are three main risks shared by both methods of salmon culture:

Salmon consume fish meal which can place additional strain on those fish lower in the food chain.
Farming and ranching produce organic waste (fish poop and processing waste) which need to be properly managed.
There is genetic risk of cultured salmon interbreeding with its wild counterpart and the potential for lowering the performance of its wild cousin.
Salmon farmers and salmon ranchers worldwide are very aware of these risks and are always looking at new ways of operating to ensure these risks are well managed.

How did this morph from the original post on the topic, which is:
Yet another black eye for the aquaculture industry. Why do these Atlantic salmon farmers toss all their garbage in the ocean? Because it's convenient and they know they can get away with it. The BC government has no teeth and the feds don't give a fig what happens out here on the west coast. Where is the public outrage over this? Why are we not fighting along with the First Nations to put an end to those sea-pens? Castanet readers are basically from the Okanagan and it's very inconvenient for most of us to travel to the coast to show our support for those who are fighting to save our wild salmon, but many of us have friends and relatives out there. We must get them involved in this.

From "feed bags on the shore after a storm" to "fish nutrition" and
"Castanet readers are basically from the Okanagan and it's very inconvenient".
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Thanks, HG. I agree with everything you wrote, and you totally nailed it with that amazing last sentence about Loony Lana Popham. What a loser that nutbag is.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

@alanjh595:

Here, I'll spell it out for you. Thanks to over-population of the planet, and thanks also to 'globalization', fishing wild Pacific salmon in the conventional way is not sustainable. Without salmon ranching, as the Alaskans do it, our wild Pacific salmon will become extinct.

BUT........the method of salmon aquaculture in B.C. is killing our wild salmon more quickly and just as surely as over-fishing is. We have to put a stop to it. The First Nations up in the Broughton Archipelago are trying to get our government to stop the delay tactics they've used since that 1995 report was issued. If you read the report from DFO you must have seen how they deliberately bobbed and weaved and sidestepped around the issues. You might ask why. Are they simply incompetent, or is it something more sinister?

If you don't care about our wild Pacific salmon, if you are content to eat oily, pellet-fed, artificially coloured :cuss: that swim around in their own feces and look like some sort of franken-fish until they're butchered and sold in your supermarket as 'salmon'.......fine. Just don't get in the way of the people who DO care.

Return to “B.C.”