"We hope they take the bus" city planning again

drex1999
Board Meister

"We hope they take the bus" city planning again

Post by drex1999 »

Council approved a new Glenmore development on Valley Road with less parking than needed. The developer said residents will make use of bicycle, transit and ride-sharing options rather than own a second vehicle.

Half the adults of this 5 story place are going to work by bus? Maybe Basran can stop by and give everyone a lift
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: "We hope they take the bus" city planning again

Post by GordonH »

please post a link to the story
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Thank-you ferri

From what I can see they
They have the choice of 3 bus routes
#3, #6 & #7
https://bctransit.com/kelowna/schedules-and-maps
How if the bus times don't work for the residents, as someone else in another thread suggested ride a bike. If those do please wear reflective clothing & have a light on your bike.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

GordonH wrote:

Thank-you ferri

From what I can see they
They have the choice of 3 bus routes
#3, #6 & #7

How if the bus times don't work for the residents, as someone else in another thread suggested ride a bike. If those do please wear reflective clothing & have a light on your bike.

that's what I side but it disappeared lol
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sadly , and what Basran is completely CLUELESS about because he'll never ride the bus , it just won't work for the majority of people ..

Transit is woefully inadequate for shift workers and anyone who absolutely MUST be at work by 6;30 or off at midnight.. If Basrat new anything about the transit system , he'd know this...

The schedule doesn't accommodate it on the weekdays never mind Saturdays and Sundays.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the guy is just turning out to be a clown
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Just like communist China. Everyone rush out and buy a $200 Chinese made bicycle.

And read the Little Red Book of Basranisns.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

drex1999 wrote:Council approved a new Glenmore development on Valley Road with less parking than needed..."

You mean required... I'm not sure anyone knows what's needed. If you're using the existing broken parking and zoning Bylaws to gauge such demand, you're crazier than council themselves. Even still, variances from the bylaw sometimes make sense.

Ex. How much parking is 'needed' for this development? http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... lage-tower
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

Council gave them a parking variance for less parking stalls. Here's the point. I'm betting nobody or at least most on council don't take the bus to work each day, or run errands by bus. I'm betting if they have spouses, they have two vehicles. Time and time again they use the "people can just take public transit" city planning route and allow places to be built with inadequate parking so the developer can use every inch of the property to squeeze more units in to maximize profits. Does this mean families don't have two cars? No. All it means is that half the vehicles of that complex will be parked on the street at the risk of theft and vandalism and also just the inconvenience to the property owner.

What city council continues to say over and over again is screw the options for the residents, we're backing the developer. I say no council member should be able to vote for parking variances unless they themselves have a one car household and commute to work every day. If they want to force everyone onto public transit, how about we start with turning city hall employee parking into green space.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Another one of Basran's developer "friends" who will feed the public a line of :cuss: all in the name of maximizing personnel profit...............NO PARKING.........NO DEVELOPMENT! How about saying that Basran instead of believing a developer who states "we hope".
spooker

Post by spooker »

Thinking that "parking makes the home" is backwards ... making it easy for people just lets them continue in the lemming rush to have more, buy more, consume more ... and before you make it all about "your rights to live your life", try and remember how much more traffic costs you personally ... hoping that we can actually take cars off the road makes sense both from a mental point of view and a taxation point of view ... we pay for the roads, if we accept more cars then we better be willing to fork over more money for taxes ...

I actually have a problem with this development due to the fact that the bike parking provided is at the front of the parking stall ... makes it a smorgasbord for any bike thief that can get into the parking garage (usually pretty easy) ... not to mention the fact that a cruiser bike has a nice wide set of handlebars and has the potential of damaging cars trying to get out between stalls ...
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

MAPearce wrote:Sadly , and what Basran is completely CLUELESS about because he'll never ride the bus , it just won't work for the majority of people ..

Transit is woefully inadequate for shift workers and anyone who absolutely MUST be at work by 6;30 or off at midnight.. If Basrat new anything about the transit system , he'd know this...

The schedule doesn't accommodate it on the weekdays never mind Saturdays and Sundays.

Ha ha, Basrat - that made me laugh out loud.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

This is another case of buyer be aware, if your work depends on you having a vehicle. Then maybe this building is not for you & look elsewhere, pretty simple (unless you purchased early & got a parking spot)
Number 1 rule never buy sight unseen.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

GordonH wrote:This is another case of buyer be aware, if your work depends on you having a vehicle. Then maybe this building is not for you & look elsewhere, pretty simple (unless you purchased early & got a parking spot)
Number 1 rule never buy sight unseen.

exactly - it is what it is. If it suits your needs, great! if not, move on

Return to “Central Okanagan”