Plate Tags

Home of the traffic rant.
GO4it

Plate Tags

Post by GO4it »

OK everyone go and check your tags on your license plate. The past few weeks I have noticed at least 20+ vehicles without legal tags. One was Jul 2017. I see at least one every time we go somewhere. I realize some people forget to put them on ( I talked to a woman today that said she had it but forgot to put it on since Oct 29????) I know it is not my problem so I don't need to be told that but sometimes we have a lot going on and we forget.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Plate Tags

Post by Jflem1983 »

Last time i was in my insurance office. A woman came in. Had forgot to renew for 3 weeks. They said no worries she was still covered . I didnt hear the details. It sounded like icbc is quite lenient with this though . I do remember hearing the insurance lady saying een if they didnt get paid all month. They would charge x2 next month .

For all my anger at icbc. I was actually fairly impressed
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Jflem1983 wrote:Last time i was in my insurance office. A woman came in. Had forgot to renew for 3 weeks. They said no worries she was still covered . I didnt hear the details. It sounded like icbc is quite lenient with this though . I do remember hearing the insurance lady saying een if they didnt get paid all month. They would charge x2 next month .

Why? No insurance = no insurance. Period.

No wonder our premiums are higher than necessary. Because "busy" self absorbed idiots are running around with lapsed insurance. If you let it expire, you should pay for any costs involved in an accident.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I saw one a couple of days ago that expired in March.
Ferchristsakes when you get home from renewing your insurance put the new tag on!
Some people seem to think they have to wait for the day it starts and that's not the case.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Focus your anger at city hall gentlemen . Do not be worried about stickers on other peoples vehicles. If icbc doesnt care. Why should u . I agree people should pay on time . However i thought about it a bit. If u were late paying by a week say. And totalled a truck. Icbc would just take the late payment on settlement of the claim. Saving a lot of people a lot of heart ache. U would not want to be going after someone personally for damages. Chances are they just wouldnt pay you . Icbc covers both parties.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote: Do not be worried about stickers on other peoples vehicles. If icbc doesnt care. Why should u.

Because that’s what Castanutters do :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:Ferchristsakes when you get home from renewing your insurance put the new tag on!

Why not put it on as soon as you come out of the insurance office?

I forgot to put mine on one year. Drove around a month with the new sticker in the glove box until I realized it hadn’t put it on. No biggie. We’re all human. We forget things from time to time.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Last time i was in my insurance office. A woman came in. Had forgot to renew for 3 weeks. They said no worries she was still covered . I didnt hear the details. It sounded like icbc is quite lenient with this though . I do remember hearing the insurance lady saying een if they didnt get paid all month. They would charge x2 next month .

Jflem you are spreading misinformation with your post. You are not the first forum poster to believe this ICBC myth. There is another thread similar to this. If that is what the broker said they need to be corrected.

Here is a capture from a page on ICBC’s website.

A548ED96-E591-4D4A-A7AD-5141E4A88136.jpeg
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:Ferchristsakes when you get home from renewing your insurance put the new tag on!
Dizzy1 wrote:Why not put it on as soon as you come out of the insurance office?

True but in my case I was thinking about my second vehicle which I only use when towing an RV. When I renew the insurance it's sitting at home.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

TreeGuy wrote:

Wow. Thats interesting. Im not in that business. Its just what i overheard at the counter.

Jflem you are spreading misinformation with your post. You are not the first forum poster to believe this ICBC myth. There is another thread similar to this. If that is what the broker said they need to be corrected.

Here is a capture from a page on ICBC’s website.

A548ED96-E591-4D4A-A7AD-5141E4A88136.jpeg

DarkMagna

Post by DarkMagna »

Not sure why people think ICBC has a 'grace' period.
If I forget to renew and I'm driving on the streets with no insurance, if I'm in an accident, I'm on my own....ICBC will not cover me.

I think the confusion is that if I forget to renew, an Autoplan agent will allow me to renew (and likely take the back payment as well) my insurance, but that has nothing to do with getting ICBC to cover damages/claims for an uninsured driver.
Sure, I can renew my insurance coverage, but I hadn't gotten in an accident during the period of non-coverage....just lucky. But had I gotten into and accident, I'm toast.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Maybe her comprehensive, through a private ensurer... no way in hell the basic coverage was good.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

You wanna bet if the lady said Ooops i forgot to renew my insurance and Oh by the way, I just wrote off my $70,000 truck!
ICBC would say you're *bleep* outta luck :smt045 -As they should
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

DarkMagna wrote:Not sure why people think ICBC has a 'grace' period.
If I forget to renew and I'm driving on the streets with no insurance, if I'm in an accident, I'm on my own....ICBC will not cover me.

I think the confusion is that if I forget to renew, an Autoplan agent will allow me to renew (and likely take the back payment as well) my insurance, but that has nothing to do with getting ICBC to cover damages/claims for an uninsured driver.
Sure, I can renew my insurance coverage, but I hadn't gotten in an accident during the period of non-coverage....just lucky. But had I gotten into and accident, I'm toast.

Absolutely NOT.

An Autoplan Agent CAN'T back date. The entire system is computerized and it is impossible to take a "back payment".

Of course they will "allow" you to renew, valid as of the minute you renew, but will not take anything for the period for which you hadn't renewed.

What ICBC will do, is related to your driver's license. If you forget to renew your driver's license and you are involved in a liable claim, ICBC will give you 10 days in which to renew your license and will then cover you for the loss as though you were a licensed driver at the time of the loss. BUT that is conditional on the fact that you didn't owe any money or had no reason that would restrict you from renewing your license.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jimmy4321 wrote:You wanna bet if the lady said Ooops i forgot to renew my insurance and Oh by the way, I just wrote off my $70,000 truck!
ICBC would say you're *bleep* outta luck :smt045 -As they should

The value of the loss wouldn't be in play. No insurance is no insurance.

However if the accident wasn't her fault, it wouldn't matter if her insurance was unrenewed, the other vehicle's insurance would still cover her.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”