What comes to mind when you hear the name Kelowna?

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What comes to mind when you hear the name Kelowna?

Post by Dizzy1 »

Whiners. Complainers. Better than thou syndrome. Small city pretending to be a big city. Mind numbing traffic infrastructure.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Killer mountain biking!! Small town vibe with friendly people. Small town so its quick and easy to get anywhere.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Small town with big city problems that no one seems to be able to deal with. Out of control development that's destroying the natural beauty of this place.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

LANDM wrote:I think it’s a beautiful place and I encounter people from around the world who agree. What comes to mind is a city that has changed from it’s old agricultural roots to what it is now, in the best way it know how to make such a progression. I think of a population that is chiefly made up of people who love it here, combined with a subgroup of people who hate it here but, puzzlingly, can’t find the testicular fortitude to get their sorry buttocks off the couch to leave.....so they just complain.
I have lived here my entire life and have the good fortune of generational history here to personally know how the changes occurred and what it was like before my lifetime.
When the complainers find their perfect place, I would love to know about it as it would be easy to rip it to shreds also.

Although I didn't grow up here, and have my own reasons for loving the place we live in, I agree entirely with your sentiments about those who seem to do nothing but complain about it. It seems clear that it doesn't matter where these people lived, they would find some reason to hate it.

Personally, I moved here from the Lower Mainland eleven years ago and have never regretted it for a second. If you want to see real problems that ACTUALLY effect your quality of life, rent yourself a moving truck and head four hours down the road. I promise you that you will quickly come to love everything that Kelowna has to offer. Otherwise, you could just keep on complaining and we will just keep on ignoring you.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Skiing to the west, water sports to the south, hiking/snowshoeing to the east, fishing to the north with family and friends smack in the middle.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Best Place on Earth! I wouldn't live any where else

except maybe Monaco, but if you think Kelowna is expensive.....I guess i'll just go for the Grand Prix
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

We love it here! Nothing like watching the sun glare off the lake on a summers morning.

Not sure the point the OP wants to make with this thread. It seems like they want people to jump on their negative bandwagon. Maybe they are suffering from seasonal affective disorder.

I’m a glad to see others post their positive opinions.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Beaches, bikinis, and Basran. :yahoo:
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Make sure you drink the right wine, overpriced golf, overrated skiing. Expensive market, no good paying jobs, a head in the sand mayor and council, extreme shortage of police and if you think its the best place on the planet to live, you need to get out more.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

rookie314 wrote:Make sure you drink the right wine, overpriced golf, overrated skiing. Expensive market, no good paying jobs, a head in the sand mayor and council, extreme shortage of police and if you think its the best place on the planet to live, you need to get out more.

Exactly. Kelowna USED to be nice, now it's a hellhole. It's the surrounding area that is still nice.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Scenery and pretty good weather has been #1 for people from other parts of Canada when Kelowna is mentioned. The other comment I hear is "too hot". For people more familiar with Kelowna..............

.............and coming into the home stretch we have "CRIME" and a "QUICK BUCK" closing fast!
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

People that always complain whenever they get a chance but never seem to leave
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

TreeGuy wrote:We love it here! Nothing like watching the sun glare off the lake on a summers morning.

Not sure the point the OP wants to make with this thread. It seems like they want people to jump on their negative bandwagon. Maybe they are suffering from seasonal affective disorder.

I’m a glad to see others post their positive opinions.

You may have something there TreeGuy. What comes to your mind when you hear the name, KelownaCrackinCrew?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

How nice it used to be.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

One of the fastest growing communities in BC. And a popular tourist destination.

Kelowna once looked like a bomb was dropped on it. It was flat, and when looking down from the hills, actually looked quite ugly in places. I’m happy to say that has been changing. We have a lot of new beautiful architecture. There’s still unfortunately a lot of sprawl climbing into the mountains and carving up. Knox, Dilworth, mission etc.

Other kelowna things that come to mind
Gas gouging
NIMBYs
Much needed infrastructure that is always decades away.
Really bad drivers.
Castanet
Atrocious transit system
Low paying jobs (Shaw for example payed kelowna employees up to $5/hour less to do the same job as those in Calgary where there is a lower cost of living)

On the plus side:
International recognition
Some gorgeous areas. Beaches, bird parks, trails, hiking areas (some waterfalls even if you know where to look!)
Friendly people
Lots of Pokémon Go players.
Nice weather and good temperatures
The Sails and our Bridge

One thought I’ll always have about kelowna, regardless of where I am though: Home
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Central Okanagan”