"We hope they take the bus" city planning again

SuperMom
Board Meister

Re: "We hope they take the bus" city planning again

Post by SuperMom »

GordonH wrote:This is another case of buyer be aware, if your work depends on you having a vehicle. Then maybe this building is not for you & look elsewhere, pretty simple (unless you purchased early & got a parking spot)
Number 1 rule never buy sight unseen.

I agree with your sentiment, and I am thankful that I do not need to worry about finding a place to live or a place to park my car. However, we keep hearing about the lack of housing in this city. If people are desperate to find somewhere to live, can they really be fussy about the availability of parking? If two or three young people need to share a condo in order to afford the rent, is one parking stall going to per unit going to be sufficient? Take transit sounds great and can work for many but not all. Many tradespeople require the ability to carry tools/supplies and move from job site to job site. My daughter uses transit to get to the college and to work; however, the transit schedule doesn't always work for her schedules. I live close enough that I could walk or take transit to my work place, but I don't. Sometimes I start work at 5:30 in the morning and sometimes I don't finish work until late in the evening. Transit doesn't help me then and walking, while not impossible, isn't enjoyable then. And then, there are many times when I make the most of my time by running errands immediately before/after work, errands that would require hours and hours of time to complete by transit but significantly less time using my car. This is the reality of our transit system and why it is difficult to get people out of their cars.

Even if there is enough parking for the residents of these new developments, what about when they have guests over? Even for a few hours? Removing those few extra parking spots from the street will likely mean that there isn't parking for guests. I live very close to this new Glenmore development and to the Verve. On a daily basis I see Verve residents parking on every available street in the area, because there isn't enough parking on-site. Guest parking at the Verve is a joke. Two, maybe three stalls for the entire development.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

133 parking stalls for 105 units is not that bad. Not ideal, but not bad. I should say though that car-sharing within a household usually results in more miles driven per household. E.g. person A needs to drive extra miles to pick up person B to get where they need to go.

Maybe the more people start taking the bus the more funding towards improving the transit infrastructure?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Ohhhh LOOOK! Another Verve in the making.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Another developer who has council in its pockets.
I just don't understand they are getting away with this
And who keeps on voting for these jerks at city hall?
Charlie Hodge seems to makes most sense at times.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Return to “Central Okanagan”