You can now drive to the Arctic Ocean in Canada!

Glacier
The Pilgrim

You can now drive to the Arctic Ocean in Canada!

Post by Glacier »

Each resident will save $1,500 per year thanks to the new road.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/20 ... o-sea.html

When Eddie Gruben got into the transportation business in the 1950s in the Northwest Territories, his means of locomotion for hauling supplies between Arctic communities was dogsled.

The corporate logo for E. Gruben’s Transport Ltd. is still a man with a pack on his back and a dog team. But the company — now grown into a successful contracting and project management firm with offices in Inuvik and Edmonton and headquarters in Tuktoyaktuk — has changed dramatically.

This week, so did the region, with the official opening on Wednesday of the Inuvik-to-Tuktoyaktuk Highway, a road Eddie’s grandson helped build.

“It’s a lot of years coming,” said Merven Gruben, a former mayor of the hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk and current vice-president of the firm his late grandfather founded. “It’s something that we’ve been dreaming about for so many years.”

The 138-kilometre, $300-million gravel highway with a 70-km/h speed limit now gives Canadians year-round driving access to the Arctic Ocean and links Tuktoyaktuk to the rest of the country.

more reading:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the- ... -1.4401922

http://www.cbc.ca/news/multimedia/drivi ... -1.4073615

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-road-t ... -1.3628705
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: You can now drive to the Arctic Ocean in Canada!

Post by Queen K »

I would LOVE to drive that road. Road trip anyone? So awesome.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:I would LOVE to drive that road. Road trip anyone? So awesome.

Enjoy, don't forget to add couple items to your safety kit.
200ft of rope & good supply of t/p. I will let you figure out those items.

remember the colder & snowier it is the better
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Thought the price of gas would be crazy up there, but not bad, for the location.

castgas.JPG

I have driven gravel perma frost roads many times, so if you need a navigator, call.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd call you alright, would be so awesome.

And GordonH, you haven't seen how I pack for a roadtrip. Even take water and a now lately, a medical kit. And yes, I have a length of rope.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:I'd call you alright, would be so awesome.

And GordonH, you haven't seen how I pack for a roadtrip. Even take water and a now lately, a medical kit. And yes, I have a length of rope.

Whiteout blizzard you could be only a meter away from your car & not see it
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Agreed. Maybe I'll take the road in the Summer, Midnight sun kind of drive. Are there polar bears? I'll take good photo equipment for all the Arctic Hares, Musk Ox and hopefully Arctic Fox up there. Macro lens for Arctic flowers. So cool, I'm packing already.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Having spent time in the high arctic and arctic, have seen and heard many stories about driving in blizzards, probably the funniest or worst was a guy driving a bombardier to work and parking it on the roof of the airport terminal in a blizzard.
Survival kits when driving up North include everything from soup to nuts.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GenesisGT wrote:Thought the price of gas would be crazy up there, but not bad, for the location.

castgas.JPG

I have driven gravel perma frost roads many times, so if you need a navigator, call.

DO NOT do what I did and get gas in BC 50km from the Yukon border! I paid 160 or so two years ago, and then drove down the road to Watson Lake, Yukon where it was 119.9! Yes, it was that big a difference. The main reason is that BC has by far the highest fuel tax in Canada and the Yukon has by far the lowest. Make sure you gas light is on when your cross the border!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I’m already planning my trip for next year. I’ve been wanting to do this for years. Now we can reach the arctic without having to go through Alaska
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Queen K wrote:I'd call you alright, would be so awesome.

its pretty cool to see tuk not super exciting but definitely cool the MOST important item you should bring is a mosquito net trust me on that any exposed skin will be eatin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I've been well up into the Yukon and all over Alaska, and I can tell you this, the mosquitoes are far worse in northwestern BC than anywhere in the Yukon I've been. I would guess that the wind would keep them down in Tuk.

P.S. my friend owns a lodge in Haines Junction, Yukon, and he has no mosquitoes there because the wind off the glaciers keep them away. Travel in either direction, and you get your fair share of the blood suckers.
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Omnitheo wrote:I’m already planning my trip for next year. I’ve been wanting to do this for years. Now we can reach the arctic without having to go through Alaska

I'm already thinking 2019, July. Yeeee hawwwwww
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Glacier wrote:I've been well up into the Yukon and all over Alaska, and I can tell you this, the mosquitoes are far worse in northwestern BC than anywhere in the Yukon I've been. I would guess that the wind would keep them down in Tuk.

P.S. my friend owns a lodge in Haines Junction, Yukon, and he has no mosquitoes there because the wind off the glaciers keep them away. Travel in either direction, and you get your fair share of the blood suckers.

you can guess all ya want ive been to tuk and can tell you that exposed skin will be eatin
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Make sure you are there for 24 hour sunlight in Tuktoyaktuk from May 19th to July 23rd, nothing screws you up more then 24hr sunlight or 24hr darkness.
Last edited by GenesisGT on Nov 23rd, 2017, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”