Sleeping Beauty Should be Removed or Censored

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Sleeping Beauty Should be Removed or Censored

Post by Glacier »

A mum has asked her son’s school to take ‘Sleeping Beauty’ off the curriculum for its ‘inappropriate sexual’ message.

Mum-of-two Sarah Hall, from Northumberland Park, says the fairytale promotes unacceptable behaviour which shouldn’t be read to young children.

She argued it teaches children that it is ok to kiss a woman while she’s asleep, which she says is not acceptable.

Sarah was reading a school book with her six-year-old son, which was based on the traditional story.

She said: “I think it’s a specific issue in the Sleeping Beauty story about sexual behaviour and consent.

“It’s about saying is this still relevant, is it appropriate?”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... g-13938590
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Sleeping Beauty Should be Removed or Censored

Post by the truth »

left wing nutjobs gone wild [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This lady deserves an apple

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I am just wondering. Has Shakespere's Romeo and Juliet been removed from the skool's librarys yet? Now that is one reely good stry. About this guy who climes up a girl's hair to git in hur bedroom. That is 1 sexy story.

Somebody did tell me that, Huck Finn has also been banned.

What is this world of snowflakes become?
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Banned? What are you talking about?

There is no world of snowflakes. Media picks up on one person who complains. People see enough stories like that and think there's now a trend in the world.

It's like that ridiculous Starbucks red cup fiasco from a few Christmases ago. One person complained. There was backlash against the original complaint by thousands of people. Soon it was "so the Christians are all up in arms about red cups and Starbucks is going to stop using them". But it was really only one outlier that started the whole thing.

Before you decide on what the world is coming to, pick a school, contact the principal, and ask about what's been banned from the library.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

OH no, wait til she reads about Beauty and the Beast where a woman agrees to be abused for years hoping "he'll change." Of course in the fairy tale, he does!

Get it, "fairy tale. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Did a little googling and come up with this list:
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/freq ... drensbooks
Of course the Harry Potters books are on it.
And never knew there was a book called "Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts" though I still burst out into song once in a while.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is on it too - still love it.
I'm surprised Bambi isn't on it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:I am just wondering. Has Shakespere's Romeo and Juliet been removed from the skool's librarys yet? Now that is one reely good stry. About this guy who climes up a girl's hair to git in hur bedroom.

I do believe the guy climbing hair is in Rapunzel not Romeo and Juliet.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I never understood the hair climbing thing until I read the story as an allegory. Just try keeping your daughter away from her man, love will find a way.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JayByrd wrote: People see enough stories like that and think there's now a trend in the world

There is a trend in the world - and its disturbing.

Whether it be saying Merry Christmas, removing literary classics from schools, removing halloween costumes from stores - more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon and feel the need to make a spectacle over nothing because they have some underlying personal issues aka screws loose.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Whether it be saying Merry Christmas, removing literary classics from schools, removing halloween costumes from stores - more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon and feel the need to make a spectacle over nothing because they have some underlying personal issues aka screws loose.

More and more? Like how many? My whole point is everyone talking about these issues (and media reporting them because they know people love to talk about them) makes them seem bigger than they are.

Who can't say Merry Christmas? You? Me?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh man, "Merry Christmas! and Double Merry Christmas to all you who pretend you didn't know we say Merry Christmas."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JayByrd wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:

More and more? Like how many? My whole point is everyone talking about these issues (and media reporting them because they know people love to talk about them) makes them seem bigger than they are.

Who can't say Merry Christmas? You? Me?

Oh come on. The war on Christmas to protect the politically correct elite to protect those who don’t celebrate Christmas has been going on for years.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This Politically Correct thing has gone too far.
Bring back the LIKE button.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Dizzy1 wrote:There is a trend in the world - and its disturbing.

It begs the question - is there actually a trend? Or have there always been people who see controversy where there isn't any, and the media just enjoys reporting the clickbait "This Happened and Twitter Loses Their Minds" articles?

The "war on Christmas" is a fine example because it's entirely fabricated. Some customer service departments try to be neutral by wishing a Happy Holidays, but never once have I been discouraged by stating Merry Christmas. We still have our Santa Claus parades and our Christmas tree light ups. I cannot think of a single example of something that affects me or really anyone else directly that is attacking Christmas.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Social Concerns”