Rewriting American History

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

As an amateur historian...it is well known when researching history, you know anything written by the old soviet union is not to be trusted....

The American leftist education system has been re-writing American history....this the next step.

The real agenda behind the destruction of Confederate monuments.

General Robert E. Lee

George Orwell said, "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." In the former USSR, censorship, rewriting of history and eliminating undesirable people became part of Soviets' effort to ensure that the correct ideological and political spin was put on their history. Deviation from official propaganda was punished by confinement in labor camps and execution.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/266971/ ... r-williams
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Rewriting American History

Post by Queen K »

How about North American history being offensive as depicted as a painting?

Yes, a saskatchewan hotel had a painting hanging in their lobby for decades. Decades of course without a single complaining snowflake forcing them to take it down that is.

I mean, this is getting absolutely out of control!!!!!

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-ne ... d-painting

The painting, which depicts French explorer Samuel de Champlain looking over the Chaudiere Falls on the Ottawa River, standing with one hand on his hip and the other on his rifle, occupied an entire wall at the hotel.

The other subjects in the painting are three Indigenous men. Contained to the right corner and shown sitting on the ground wearing what experts say is incorrect traditional dress for the region, they appear to serve as a backdrop to the Frenchmen.

The 1912 painting is a “fine example of Eurocentric colonial notions of superiority of the time period,” University of Saskatchewan Art and Art History associate professor Mary Longman wrote in an email.

Offended over the Colonial context? Is that complainer insanely drinking the Grape or the Lime Kool-aid?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Re-writing history is about trying to pretend the civil war wasn’t about slavery. Or that some of these men honoured in monuments were indeed honourable men.

I disagree with dismantling monuments. I feel plaques could be added to offer additional insight and better educate.

Removing monuments though isn’t going to re-write history. That info extends far beyond statues or art. When Iraq was invaded and the statue of Saddam toppled, it wasn’t to act like that part of history didn’t happen. Same went for the wall, and the same will go for future generations in what is now North Korea.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Queen K wrote:How about North American history being offensive as depicted as a painting?

Yes, a saskatchewan hotel had a painting hanging in their lobby for decades. Decades of course without a single complaining snowflake forcing them to take it down that is.

I mean, this is getting absolutely out of control!!!!!

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-ne ... d-painting

The painting, which depicts French explorer Samuel de Champlain looking over the Chaudiere Falls on the Ottawa River, standing with one hand on his hip and the other on his rifle, occupied an entire wall at the hotel.

The other subjects in the painting are three Indigenous men. Contained to the right corner and shown sitting on the ground wearing what experts say is incorrect traditional dress for the region, they appear to serve as a backdrop to the Frenchmen.

The 1912 painting is a “fine example of Eurocentric colonial notions of superiority of the time period,” University of Saskatchewan Art and Art History associate professor Mary Longman wrote in an email.

Offended over the Colonial context? Is that complainer insanely drinking the Grape or the Lime Kool-aid?

Why are you calling first nations snowflakes when you know the horrors they suffered under europeans ? If it was a painting depicting a man having sex with a teenager would you call the women complaining snowflakes also ?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

maryjane48 wrote:Why are you calling first nations snowflakes when you know the horrors they suffered under europeans ? If it was a painting depicting a man having sex with a teenager would you call the women complaining snowflakes also ?

But it doesn't depict a pedo, it depicts a historical event. If history offends you, thats a shame so don't read it. Its surprisingly simple.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There's a difference if it's rewriting history for accuracy.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Removing statues of traitors is not erasing slavery from history, it simply stops celebrating them.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Gilchy wrote:Removing statues of traitors is not erasing slavery from history, it simply stops celebrating them.

I agree that removing the statues is not erasing history (with books and the internet now, you simply cannot erase history - although there's going to be a ton of alternate realities of history floating around).

However, I don't agree with removing statues. They are part of history, and like ancient Greek and Roman statues, should be treated as artifacts. Not all of the Greek and Roman statues depict good people.

If people are celebrating a statue or a painting or whatever because they see all the racism or negative points behind it, the solution isn't to remove the artifact. Being pro-Confederate doesn't automatically mean pro-racism - without actually having conversation and debate, nobody really knows why people believe what they do, but people have that right to believe it.

The reason that there's such a divide between right wing and left wing people is due to the failure on both sides to be able to have an open debate - and following, not labeling and hating the other person if they fail to agree. Specifically when talking about people on the left protesting speakers at universities - I will and continue to criticize them for that.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Shall we erect statue of hitler in ottawa for german canadians since its just a statue ? :smt045
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

The vast majority of the statues were put up in the 1940s-60s, reacting to civil rights movement in a not so subtle reminder of the “Southern Heritagw”.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

maryjane48 wrote:You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Shall we erect statue of hitler in ottawa for german canadians since its just a statue ? :smt045

History of the civil war show tax's imposed on the South played a big roll many Americans do not know that.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

maryjane48 wrote:You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Being pro Confederate doesn't necessarily mean pro racist. Even if a person is racist, that isn't hate speech until they run around suggesting a certain race of people should be killed. I would argue that yes, even a racist should be able to talk without being protested, because it's through dialogue that these issues can get sorted out.

I'm entirely pro free speech. Just because I don't like it or because its wrong doesn't mean that it cannot be said.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

FreeRights wrote:

Being pro Confederate doesn't necessarily mean pro racist. Even if a person is racist, that isn't hate speech until they run around suggesting a certain race of people should be killed. I would argue that yes, even a racist should be able to talk without being protested, because it's through dialogue that these issues can get sorted out.

I'm entirely pro free speech. Just because I don't like it or because its wrong doesn't mean that it cannot be said.

Protest is a form of speech.

Freedom of speech just guarantees that you are free to say what you want, with some minor caveats. It does not insulate you from the consequences of your speech. It does not mean that anyone has to listen. It does not mean that anyone has to give you a platform. It does not prevent you being protested.

If the best thing you can say about the speech you are about to give, if all you can say to defend it to those who disagree with you is that you are legally allowed to say it because of freedom of speech, you have a very weak case and should probably examine the purpose of what you are about to say. That said, I stand by your right to say pretty much with minor caveats.

Some people might think that by promoting your rights, even if I disagree with your actions, means I am supporting you, but those people are wrong.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Verum wrote:Protest is a form of speech.

Freedom of speech just guarantees that you are free to say what you want, with some minor caveats. It does not insulate you from the consequences of your speech. It does not mean that anyone has to listen. It does not mean that anyone has to give you a platform. It does not prevent you being protested.

If the best thing you can say about the speech you are about to give, if all you can say to defend it to those who disagree with you is that you are legally allowed to say it because of freedom of speech, you have a very weak case and should probably examine the purpose of what you are about to say. That said, I stand by your right to say pretty much with minor caveats.

Some people might think that by promoting your rights, even if I disagree with your actions, means I am supporting you, but those people are wrong.

I agree with you that protesting speech is fine. However, having speakers cancel their events due to safety issues, causing increased security, and essentially preventing people a platform is not fine.

Protesting in the means of blockading doors to prevent others from hearing it is not fine. This is the step between not agreeing with something, to preventing others from hearing it.

I also agree that if the best argument one can make to give a speak, is that it's legal, it's a weak argument. But an argument should not even be had, as they have a right to say it and people should be able to hear it. If a person has no platform, then nobody will attend. It absolutely disgusts me, even as a liberal, not even to see people protest speeches, but to see people from preventing others from seeing them.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Lol you think giving nazi alt righters a platform is something we should allow ?

Return to “World”