New roundabout on Rutland Road

Home of the traffic rant.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: New roundabout on Rutland Road

Post by Verum »

I suspect that roundabouts make drivers better, because people tend to become better at anticipation of other drivers, better at being aware, and ultimately better at judging their own speed. Of course, we'll still have the curse of the people who stop at every roundabout, or slow excessively. Some people won't be able to handle them when things get slippery, but at least the accidents which will occur will be at relatively low speeds.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TreeGuy wrote:
syron wrote:All Roundabouts are designed for truck traffic.
I predict that anyone who thinks they aren't designed for trucks doesn't know how to use a Roundabout.
The issues with the traffic/intersection is why a Roundabout is being installed.
Last time I checked there was a truck in Fire truck.
The irritating part is the completion date for the Roundabout was Oct. 31, 2017.

Not true. There is a couple of roundabouts in Glenrosa and a tandem axle plow truck can not go fully around. Trust me I drive one.

Agreed. I mentioned how terrible the design of those was the minute they completed them. I think a city bus can barely get around them.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lesliepaul wrote:All of our Roundabouts are designed to be driven "over" for larger vehicles. Does not stop you and your smaller vehicle from doing the same. If you do go over them just do it when there is no other traffic in the circle that you would no doubt confuse the hell out of.

WADR if that was true please explain how that transport truck got high centered on the roundabout at Burtch and Guisichan Rd.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

RVThereYet wrote:
Ultimate_R wrote:I think an image of the roundabout would be helpful here...

One thing you will notice is that rutland rd traffic coming from the highway won't even use the roundabout.

This will be a drastic improvement to the old intersection as well as the monstrosity that is the current temporary one.

I could swear that some time ago when all this construction was about to get started I saw plans for another round-about on the other side by Adams and Sexsmith?

You did as I saw it as well.

I don't know what happened to that, but I suspect it may well have something to do with the location of Tim Horton's as well as how much space is available at that intersection. I certainly never thought there was enough room for that there.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Well, 1st full day of the intersection closure and no surprise - it's traffic chaos down here. Surrounding roads are all heavily impacted even if they're not part of the detour route.

I recommend everyone stays as far away from the area as possible this week if you can. Even the highway is noticeably more backed up than normal.

Good news is that the new roundabout looks like it's going to be very large based on the size of the excavation they're doing. I assume it'll have no problem handling large trucks.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing that Yellow head Hwy 5 has roundabout on it at Clearwater BC, which I'm sure has alot of big trucks i.e transport/logging trucks etc.
This one should be able to handle the truck traffic.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I drove the new roundabout today.
Seems to be a huge improvement. I like it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I tried it too, but it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to get out of it.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Bman wrote:I drove the new roundabout today.
Seems to be a huge improvement. I like it.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, so my only question is, can you do this on it:

:biggrin:

For those who think I'm serious, I'm just kidding!
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

I might
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Drove through the new Rutland Rd. roundabout early Saturday evening for the first time................If you are having trouble with the current roundabouts in Kelowna, stay away from this one. The confusion will be epic along with the accidents. Just my opinion, but what I witnessed last night was not good. The addition of an "exiting" right turn lane from Old Vernon Rd. eastbound onto Rutland Rd. southbound along with the regular exit from the roundabout to Rutland Rd. southbound will be the issue.

Will have to bring a lawn chair out there on nice evenings in the summer to watch the stupidity first hand.........more cheap entertainment to go along with Castanet.
Last edited by lesliepaul on Nov 26th, 2017, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I just wish they would smooth out the inner curbs for less of a harsh bump
when driving across the middle of them.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dirtybiker wrote:I just wish they would smooth out the inner curbs for less of a harsh bump
when driving across the middle of them.

Huh, I get to answer myself, no inner curb, just paint.
I wish all of them were like this, sure makes them easier (and smoother) to navigate
in a tractor-trailer combination.
A great deal less wear and tear also, no matter the vehicle one drives.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

oldtrucker wrote:It's not a roundabout on Rutland road and Sexsmith. It's a circular intersection. Far to small to be considered a roundabout as vehicles do not have the space to even signal their intentions before they have entered it and are gone.

I like it, it allows the smooth flow of traffic which is predominantly along the Sexsmith - Rutland Road axis to transit without issue but also permits the Alcan Road or OVR users to transit easily as well. The Cruicial thing with a traffic circle is to not put any barriers in the middle that could prevent any rig from moving through. I like the separate on-ramp for eastbound out of Glenmore when I do business in Rutland. Anyone flying out of the traffic circle will no doubt be travelling slower so you could easily see them and take evasive action.
Waste not

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”