Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

Post by Hmmm »

Some people really live in their own dream world. I can’t stomach the selfish, me only attitude of the writer of this letter. First off, they don’t own the world or their neighborhood. Second, Airbnb should not bring anymore traffic to her little piece of heaven then regular use of the home would have. In almost all cases there are strict rules against parties and number of people at Airbnb’s. There are rules and reviews and other things in place to ensure that both the user and provider have protections.

But my real issue was the comment regarding not coming if you can’t afford a hotel. Get a life and wake up lady. Most of the world is very happy to have this more affordable option and on top of that 90% don’t have a life nearly as good as you or most do in Canada. Just be happy you’re not starving and homeless. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-212035-10-.htm#212035
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

Post by Queen K »

"We have enough hotels, motels, campgrounds and Bed & Breakfast. We don't need more mayhem in our neighborhoods."

Mayhem? Were these tourists shooting off guns and inciting riots?

Sure she's over the top, but it was a fun read. Who decides that Airbnb's aren't going to impact tourism? What does she mean, if they have more spending money, there's more shopping, restaurants, heck, longer stays putting more money down at gas stations and grocery stores.

Hmmmm, we can't everybody to think, can we? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^i don’t really care if she isn’t in favor of Airbnb’s but it’s the don’t come here if you don’t have a ton of money for hotels attitude. Interrupting her perfect little bubble attitude. The world really isn’t even close to as nice as I’m sure her neighborhood is. But she would prefer to complain about people trying to visit places on a tight budget. Makes me want to hurl and chuck.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Kinda agree with her. I know one condo building with lots of rentals, new Management clamped down as the perm residents were fed up with noise mess and parties. Sure there are rules, rules for most everything but no everyone adheres to the rules.
She was a bit over dramatic.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Let's find out where Bethany Wright lives and take turns driving and walking in her pristine neighborhood... :up:
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

why would you want to do that Vegas ??

and she's right...why do Homeowners that don't need to use Air BnB to make their mortgage payments (that's their problem not hers) have to tolerate having their neighborhoods turn into mini hotels ??

it's also not her problem to keep tourism rolling in Kelowna...how did our tourism industry survive before they were introduced ?? (just fine)

and who's being selfish ?? homeowners who follow our Bylaws or those who don't ?? (me thinks it's the homeowners who are dismissing our Bylaws and pocketing tax free rental income look pretty self centered)

as for other parts of the world loving Air BnB...wrong...just a few google clicks and you can easily see that many cities are seriously regulating it..
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I agree with her letter these are residential areas air bnb should not be allowed
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ its not as much as whether airbnb should be allowed or not. The thread is about the incredibly self centred attitude of the writer.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

theres nothing self centred about it she has every right to be *bleep* I would be to, basically youre saying if someone writes a letter complaining about something in there neighborhood that directly affects them its self centered .
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well her letter is about Air BnB's being allowed and she doesn't agree with it..and what in her letter came off as selfish ??

that she bought a home in an area zoned for residential use only and would like it to stay that way ??? or that she's not concerned about "tourists" on a limited income ??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The letter writer has every right to voice her displeasure about airbnb's in her neighborhood.

Of course problem is if the homeowner who has the airbnb is doing everything according to rules & bylaws of the city & airbnb company policy.

There is not much this other homeowner can do other then write letters and try to yell into mayors ears.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I'm not really sure how people get away with this crap in the first place residential areas have never been allowed short term rentals as far as I know so what suddenly changed
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

W105 wrote:well her letter is about Air BnB's being allowed and she doesn't agree with it..and what in her letter came off as selfish ??

that she bought a home in an area zoned for residential use only and would like it to stay that way ??? or that she's not concerned about "tourists" on a limited income ??

She should have stopped, before she said they shouldn’t come if they can’t afford a hotel. That was just disgusting and way to privileged sounding. IMO
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

why shes correct really unless you wish to camp if it were my call there would be zero air bnb here residential areas and homes should not be used as hotels
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

how is airbnb any different than the people down on manhattan drive who rent their beach houses out by the week or weekend all summer for big money? the neighborhood homeowners dont like the traffic and partying there either and the city cracked down on it at one point.now it is being done thru airbnb and all over town so it is different how?

Return to “Central Okanagan”