Paddles on slow, for safety??

[email protected]

Re: Paddles on slow, for safety??

Post by [email protected] »

lostsurferinbc wrote:
TheBoss wrote:Excuse me not required to have a turn signal? What kind of drugs are you on? If we have signal lane traffic and my partner is sending me traffic and i let the car go and they get into a head on collision the i'm at fault.

The stupidity of people both on the road and the inter *bleep* astonishes me and no wonder why i no longer post on the castanet forums..

I’m not on any drugs bud, I am however legally certified to train and instruct you as a flagger as well as setup traffic accommodations. You however are not. No where in your training states a motorist has to put their turn signal on to enter into your work area. If the motorist is confused on were they need to proceed, then the contractor has not set up proper delineation to guide traffic in a clear and easy to navigate work zone. For you to hold up traffic because you THINK you the motorist should be doing something they are not required to do is ignorance on your part. Like I stated before, YOU are the inconvenience not the motorist.

If the motorist is confused on where they need to proceed it may have nothing to do with a proper set up, if you dont understand, go even slower! I can assure you, us "contractors" do everything we can to make our worksites safe and easy to navigate!
funnychicken99

Post by funnychicken99 »

I was not going to say anything about this but i do feel i have to in order to keep someone else from going through the same trauma i went through, last year 2016 was absolutely the worse year of my life party due to loss but also anxiety and hurt. I received my flagging certificate in August 2016, and answered an ad from a local company hiring I was in no way aware that they wanted experienced flaggers but i went anyways. If i had known they wanted experience i never would have said yes because i was extremely green and had my certificate after one afternoon of training. I did some work on a local road and after not even 2 weeks was sent out on the highway. I was not even close to being ready to work the highway. This was absoultely dangerous and foolish, putting not only myself at risk but other lives. I suffered anxiety, insults, and was disgusted becasue the person i was with i was told after was not even supposted to be on the highway. If the flagging company wishes to have workers on the highway there should at the very least be a week mandatory job shadowing WITH A QUALIFIED FLAGGER after the certificate is given this would give them more confidence in situations and make things safer for everyone. I do think flagging is a good job for someone but after going through what i went through i never ever wish to do this again. i do pray for the woman that was hit and hope she has a full recovery.
Last edited by funnychicken99 on Nov 21st, 2017, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

weedlover wrote:I think the flaggers share part of the blame for flagger injuries. I can't count the number of times I have driven by a flagger and they have their back to traffic inches away from passing cars while chatting up a construction or looking at their phone.

Totally agree, the other F factor they have as traffic directors is not paying attention. Many are female, entertained by the male workers on the shoulder where they stand or on many occasions texting.

I learned traffic directing, you are to make eye contact with the operator of the vehicle you are communicating with, this is a major mistake and can result in death or serious injury!
[email protected]

funnychicken99 wrote:I was not going to say anything about this but i do feel i have to in order to keep someone else from going through the same trauma i went through, last year 2016 was absolutely the worse year of my life party due to loss but also anxiety and hurt. I received my flagging certificate in August 2016, and answered an ad from a local company hiring I was in no way aware that they wanted experienced flaggers but i went anyways. If i had known they wanted experience i never would have said yes because i was extremely green and had my certificate after one afternoon of training. I did some work on a local road and after not even 2 weeks was sent out on the highway. I was not even close to being ready to work the highway. This was absoultely dangerous and foolish, putting not only myself at risk but other lives. I suffered anxiety, insults, and was disgusted becasue the person i was with i was told after was not even supposted to be on the highway. If the flagging company wishes to have workers on the highway there should at the very least be a week mandatory job shadowing WITH A QUALIFIED FLAGGER after the certificate is given this would give them more confidence in situations and make things safer for everyone. I do think flagging is a good job for someone but after going through what i went through i never ever wish to do this again. i do pray for the woman that was hit and hope she has a full recovery.

Sad your experience was so horrible! Shame on that company but I can assure you that not all companies treat their employees this way, experience is key and perhaps overlooking the quote " experienced" shouldn't have been an indication of their requirements. Oh btw, the flag person that was injured had 37 years experience.
funnychicken99

Post by funnychicken99 »

thank you yes i heard that she was experienced. I certainly was not but i do think a job shadowing requirement would be a great opporunity.
PanheadCharlie

Post by PanheadCharlie »

I am a professional Driver, and have logged a few million miles. And the minuscule amount of time that I have spent "held up" by highway work compels me to reply to this forum. I am moving,..., whether slowly, or quicker,..., and "I" am the one that will be causing the damage, or God forbid causing the injury or death of one of the workers. This demands that I travel slow enough that should something happen I'll be able to maintain control of my vehicle, including an emergency stop. The warning signs are always well out ahead. There is NO excuse for hitting someone. Are we in that big of a hurry that we have calculated the potential to cause some ones injury or death as acceptable to "hurry" through construction zones.
[email protected]

PanheadCharlie wrote:I am a professional Driver, and have logged a few million miles. And the minuscule amount of time that I have spent "held up" by highway work compels me to reply to this forum. I am moving,..., whether slowly, or quicker,..., and "I" am the one that will be causing the damage, or God forbid causing the injury or death of one of the workers. This demands that I travel slow enough that should something happen I'll be able to maintain control of my vehicle, including an emergency stop. The warning signs are always well out ahead. There is NO excuse for hitting someone. Are we in that big of a hurry that we have calculated the potential to cause some ones injury or death as acceptable to "hurry" through construction zones.

Well its about time I read a review from someone that is smart and reasonable, thank you for your educated and respected view! Needed that as a matter of fact! :up:
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

PanheadCharlie wrote:I am a professional Driver, and have logged a few million miles. And the minuscule amount of time that I have spent "held up" by highway work compels me to reply to this forum. I am moving,..., whether slowly, or quicker,..., and "I" am the one that will be causing the damage, or God forbid causing the injury or death of one of the workers. This demands that I travel slow enough that should something happen I'll be able to maintain control of my vehicle, including an emergency stop. The warning signs are always well out ahead. There is NO excuse for hitting someone. Are we in that big of a hurry that we have calculated the potential to cause some ones injury or death as acceptable to "hurry" through construction zones.

Bhahaha no such thing as a professional driver. If anything you're a commercial driver
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Gixxer wrote:Bhahaha no such thing as a professional driver. If anything you're a commercial driver

[icon_lol2.gif] Beat me to it....driver..

Just think how stupid it would sound if everyone with a profession put the word 'professional'
in front of their job description.
-Professional Plumber.
-Professional Doctor.
-Professional Accountant.
My favorite..
-Professional Professor.

Hope the Flagger who was hit is doing well.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Wow, when a thread becomes something where one is attacked by calling himself a "professional" driver when the original reason for the thread is about flaggers.

The poster's opinion was solid when all he/she can be attacked for is what they define their job as.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

AND on her 66 year birthday. So sad. RIP
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gixxer wrote:Bhahaha no such thing as a professional driver.

Then I suppose all these driving schools should change their names?

https://www.google.ca/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Sad to hear this woman has died from her injuries and I hope the driver that hit her is held accountable. (other than just a slap on the wrist)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The driver was a 75 year old.

It appears the driver of the vehicle involved was unable to stop in time and hit the traffic-control person.”

It is not yet known if the 75-year-old driver will face any charges in relation to the tragedy.
Bring back the LIKE button.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

This is why after a certain age you shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore. This one of the many reasons why i quite traffic control.

Return to “North Okanagan”