There's no such thing as mental illness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: There's no such thing as mental illness

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:It should be pointed out/added that Stefan does not say that mental illness suffering isn't real, rather, the Big Pharma solutions of using drugs are not how you treat an injury long term. By prescribing drugs, you're not curing the illness, you're basically just adding a nice smelling scent to the sh** house. Ya, you no longer smell the stinky stuff, but your'e not doing any good to actually addressing the source of the problem.

Mental illness is not an injury. Since there is no known cure for bipolar or schizophrenia, treating with drugs is what we currently have.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:In summary:
- There's no science to.
- There's no test whatsoever that can diagnose a mental illness.
- When you have an illness (AIDS, malaria, etc.), and you're given a cure, you get better. With so called mental illness, it has absolutely exploded since drugs have been developed.

Okay, this guy is a dangerous moron who seems to think that he has a clue. He clearly doesn't and this kind of trash could result in real harm. I've never been diagnosed with mental illness, I'm not a psychiatrist, so my knowledge is from other sources, not least lengthy discussions with psychiatrists about a close friend, a family member, and also a former partner. I won't go into their diagnoses and how their current treatment regime has allowed them to be happy functional people, rather than at least one of them dying.

So to address your summary, yes there is science involved, and while it might not look like high-school physics or chemistry (something tells me he never progressed any further than that, if even), to dismiss psychology and psychiatry just because they aren't hard sciences is simply ignorant. I guess he would dismiss economics too.

There certainly are tests which can help diagnose mental illness. They may not be chemical tests, nor might they have 100% accuracy, but that latter part is true of many medical tests. Some chemistry based medical tests are so inaccurate that a either a negative or positive result is essentially useless (depending on the test) and they are only useful as part of a set of testing, which may not just involve chemical tests, but also probing and even discussion of symptoms with the patient.

What is this miraculous cure for AIDS? At best we can treat the effects of HIV/AIDS, but we don't have a cure, and the cocktail of drugs one takes for HIV may have to change, and not all are equally effective on everyone. This is the norm for many illnesses, and definitely the case for mental illness.

Yes, drugs are far more prevalent today and it may well be that our society is less and less mentally well as time goes on. Or we may well be more ready to acknowledge it when we see it, rather than pretend it is not happening as used to happen more frequently in the past. Maybe we do over-prescribe psychiatric drugs and maybe we do over diagnose it, but that doesn't change whether mental illness exists or not, in the least little bit. We over prescribe antibiotics, but that doesn't mean that infections don't happen.

I didn't watch more than a few minutes of his moronic rant, and maybe I missed something important, but if I did, so did your summary. What I did watch seemed to be heading into tinfoil hat territory, and I half expect that by the end he was going to be claiming that the symptoms we diagnose as mental illness are actually a result of people taking drugs to treat what we diagnose as mental illness. Or that it's all chemtrails. Or that it's from fluoridation of the water, a to "allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids". [icon_lol2.gif]

Anyway, I watched a few minutes, but in the first few seconds and he says this:
Billions of people around the world suffer from "mental illness".

Nobody believes this. Since there are only about 7 billion people, and roughly 1 in 4 will suffer from mental illness at some point in their lives, most of whom will do so for relatively short periods and not as a lifelong illness, the actual number who are suffering from mental illness at any given time is actually quite small and certainly not greater than a billion. Certainly not in the billions. That said, if he means those whose lives are affected by people with mental illness, that's basically all of us, so it makes no sense.
Mental illness is a disease or deficiency caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain that is corrected by psychiatric drugs.

Not quite and nobody of note thinks that. It's more that chemicals are used to treat the symptoms of the illness, not the root cause.
Psychiatrists can accurately diagnose mental illness, and have safe and effective treatments for it.

No, they have a set of tools to help with diagnosing mental illness, and these tools reflect the complex nature of the human mind, but still cannot guarantee accurately diagnosing mental illness immediately. It takes time and treatment to diagnose and work out a proper regime. That's what the psychiatrists have told me, so I don't get where he is getting his information.

He said that school kids are being given "cocaine-like" stimulants, where I assume he means the likes of Adderall and Ritalin, which are more like speed than cocaine. Also, the doses are usually monitored to make sure that the use is beneficial and not detrimental. There are plenty of drugs which are used in the same way for other ailments, including pain alleviation. The use of sensationalism by equating drugs like Ritalin to cocaine is very indicative of this moron's style. This is the same tactic as equating Trump to Hitler, which I'm sure you would baulk at, so I don't get how you can parrot this guy's nonsense.

He reminds me of a former friend of mine, who thought he knew better than the "shrinks". He thought he could treat someone's depression with tough love and a dose of reality. People like that can result in deaths and I honestly hope that no parent or partner listens to this guy and then turns around and tries to push it on a loved one. I could honestly see this kind of nonsense result in real suffering and possibly deaths, but I suspect Stefan won't be taking responsibility for the dangerous nonsense he is promoting.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Stefan Molyneux has been described as a youtuber, podcaster and cult leader. Cognitive behavioral exercises that take months to complete that he suggests don't always cut it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Fancy wrote:Stefan Molyneux has been described as a youtuber, podcaster and cult leader. Cognitive behavioral exercises that take months to complete that he suggests don't always cut it.

And misogynist. I have listened to some podcasts with him and he's a pretty crap human being.

I have lost family members due to mental illness. It is very real
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

No such thing as mental illness??? Care to explain suicide, serial killers, and mass shootings
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Verum wrote: He reminds me of a former friend of mine, who thought he knew better than the "shrinks". He thought he could treat someone's depression with tough love and a dose of reality.

Another one of those clowns who thinks "street smarts" are better than "book smarts" no doubt.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ka-El wrote:Another one of those clowns who thinks "street smarts" is better than "book smarts" no doubt.

It is laughable because mental illness is a broad term to describe a large number of varied and diagnosable mental disorders so to say none of them exist is just stupid.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:Just look at some of the Castanutters and that should change your mind about no Mental illness.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

lol :runforlife: :runforlife:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Let's say the people of Okinawa, in Japan are healthy. Maybe they all live to 85 years of age. Maybe they do something
differently there, that no one else does. Maybe they go for walks and breathe in a lot of salty air or whatever. Maybe they have a lot of small farms. And let's say they have no mental illness there for some reason.

Now let's say there's a town in Mississippi where a chemical plant pollutes the river and the air, there is a lot of poverty, they burn coal for power, and people don't exercise that much, because they're poor. Let's say it's the least healthy town in America. It would be stupid to tell the people in this town how to have the same mental health as the people of Okinawa, without drugs from their doctor. These people need their drugs from their doctors.

There might be more than one way to skin a cat, and some people in the world have a better way of avoiding mental illness, and avoiding spending $billions on psychiatric drugs, but you can't get all the other people to do all those good things, so forget about it. It's impossible.

I think more people should be treated with psychiatric drugs for mental illness. Because you can not get everyone to live like an Okinawan, so don't even try. It's not going to happen.

live to 100. No mental illness. Does things differently.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ sorry thinktank just because some people don't have a mental illness, does not mean it's not an actual diagnosis. That's like saying heart attacks are not real, just because you have not had one.
As for idiot in Glacier OP video, he is impo a f :cuss: dumb :cuss:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Just look at some of the Castanutters and that should change your mind about no Mental illness.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

lol :runforlife: :runforlife:

:spitcoffee: :laugh: run, run, here come the guys in white jackets :D
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

In the Quirks and Quarks Nov 9, 2017 podcast there is a segment entitled Dream Believers featuring a doctor who has interesting theory regarding mental illness and possible cause.

It involves something some of us like to do very much ...daydreaming
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Verum wrote:Okay, this guy is a dangerous moron who seems to think that he has a clue.

JLives wrote:... he's a pretty crap human being.

Gixxer wrote:No such thing as mental illness??? Care to explain suicide, serial killers, and mass shootings

Poindexter wrote:... so to say none of them exist is just stupid.

GordonH wrote:As for idiot in Glacier OP video, he is impo a f :cuss: dumb :cuss:

There's no such thing as mental illness
<---- wrong thing to say. Bad.

What percent of the people being treated by the $multibillion dollar mental illness industry are
being scammed and cheated, by a total scam system?
<---- right thing to say. Good.

If 40 million Americans are taking some sort of psychiatric drug, would it be safe to say that 30 million of them are being scammed?

If you search "antidepressant liver damage drugs" you will get:
Is Xanax hard on the liver?
Xanax can cause abnormal amounts of liver enzymes, which are proteins used by cells. This can permanently damage the liver. ... The body of a Xanax abuser adapts over time to the effects of the drug. His or her brain adjusts accordingly, and so if and when intake of Xanax is halted, the results are harsh.

Can Lexapro cause liver damage?
Escitalopram is primarily metabolized by cytochrome P450 enzymes that are found within the liver. ... Although the exact mechanism of potential liver injury from Lexapro use has not been determined, liver damage from medication use is often a result of either direct toxicity or an increased burden of drug metabolism.

Life-threatening or severe drug-induced liver injury has been reported for some antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors, tricyclic/tetracyclic antidepressants, venlafaxine, duloxetine, sertraline, bupropion, nefazodone, trazodone, and agomelatine, Dr. Perlemuter and colleagues report.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

There's always a better way to do things.

Example: Rich and famous people (Baron Trump) go to private schools - everyone else go to public schools. Famous athletes sometimes are home schooled - everyone else is terrified of that option.

Example: Rich people drive different cars to the ones we drive.

Example: Rich people eat at different restaurants to the chemical additive fast food places made just for the rest of us sheeple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, although no one would ever suggest taking away those beautiful psychiatric drugs from the few people suffering from mental illness, there are people in the world who do things differently, and there's nothing wrong with finding a better way - no matter what you're doing. There's nothing wrong with not being a sheeple.

My neighbor had mental illness. He called me up one day and told me he had some questions so I went over immediately, and saw that something was not quite right. He had the beginning stages of "losing your marbles." He was 75, I think. But he wasn't bad. At that point there was probably a lot of things that could be done, and he was rich, so he could have done anything because being rich is an advantage.

But my neighbor was put in a retirement centre place, and they "drugged him into oblivion" and when I saw him six months later he looked like a vegetable.

What a waste. What a shame.

think differently.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:But my neighbor was put in a retirement centre place, and they "drugged him into oblivion" and when I saw him six months later he looked like a vegetable.

We've had this conversation before and a retirement centre would not have been a good fit for him. Are there retirement centres that actually hand out medication?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”