Rewriting American History

Rewriting American History

Postby averagejoe » Jun 14th, 2017, 9:29 am

As an amateur historian...it is well known when researching history, you know anything written by the old soviet union is not to be trusted....

The American leftist education system has been re-writing American history....this the next step.

Rewriting American History

The real agenda behind the destruction of Confederate monuments.


Image
General Robert E. Lee

George Orwell said, "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." In the former USSR, censorship, rewriting of history and eliminating undesirable people became part of Soviets' effort to ensure that the correct ideological and political spin was put on their history. Deviation from official propaganda was punished by confinement in labor camps and execution.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/266971/ ... r-williams
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

christopher likes this post.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12123
Likes: 2798 posts
Liked in: 2134 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby Queen K » Nov 24th, 2017, 8:21 pm

How about North American history being offensive as depicted as a painting?

Yes, a saskatchewan hotel had a painting hanging in their lobby for decades. Decades of course without a single complaining snowflake forcing them to take it down that is.

I mean, this is getting absolutely out of control!!!!!


http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-ne ... d-painting

The painting, which depicts French explorer Samuel de Champlain looking over the Chaudiere Falls on the Ottawa River, standing with one hand on his hip and the other on his rifle, occupied an entire wall at the hotel.

The other subjects in the painting are three Indigenous men. Contained to the right corner and shown sitting on the ground wearing what experts say is incorrect traditional dress for the region, they appear to serve as a backdrop to the Frenchmen.

The 1912 painting is a “fine example of Eurocentric colonial notions of superiority of the time period,” University of Saskatchewan Art and Art History associate professor Mary Longman wrote in an email.


Offended over the Colonial context? Is that complainer insanely drinking the Grape or the Lime Kool-aid?
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52854
Likes: 12100 posts
Liked in: 12671 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 24th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Re-writing history is about trying to pretend the civil war wasn’t about slavery. Or that some of these men honoured in monuments were indeed honourable men.

I disagree with dismantling monuments. I feel plaques could be added to offer additional insight and better educate.

Removing monuments though isn’t going to re-write history. That info extends far beyond statues or art. When Iraq was invaded and the statue of Saddam toppled, it wasn’t to act like that part of history didn’t happen. Same went for the wall, and the same will go for future generations in what is now North Korea.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

jimmy4321 likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4450
Likes: 6746 posts
Liked in: 3404 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 24th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Queen K wrote:How about North American history being offensive as depicted as a painting?

Yes, a saskatchewan hotel had a painting hanging in their lobby for decades. Decades of course without a single complaining snowflake forcing them to take it down that is.

I mean, this is getting absolutely out of control!!!!!


http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-ne ... d-painting

The painting, which depicts French explorer Samuel de Champlain looking over the Chaudiere Falls on the Ottawa River, standing with one hand on his hip and the other on his rifle, occupied an entire wall at the hotel.

The other subjects in the painting are three Indigenous men. Contained to the right corner and shown sitting on the ground wearing what experts say is incorrect traditional dress for the region, they appear to serve as a backdrop to the Frenchmen.

The 1912 painting is a “fine example of Eurocentric colonial notions of superiority of the time period,” University of Saskatchewan Art and Art History associate professor Mary Longman wrote in an email.


Offended over the Colonial context? Is that complainer insanely drinking the Grape or the Lime Kool-aid?


Why are you calling first nations snowflakes when you know the horrors they suffered under europeans ? If it was a painting depicting a man having sex with a teenager would you call the women complaining snowflakes also ?
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2666 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby FreeRights » Nov 25th, 2017, 3:45 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Why are you calling first nations snowflakes when you know the horrors they suffered under europeans ? If it was a painting depicting a man having sex with a teenager would you call the women complaining snowflakes also ?

But it doesn't depict a pedo, it depicts a historical event. If history offends you, thats a shame so don't read it. Its surprisingly simple.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
FreeRights
Guru
 
Posts: 5572
Likes: 298 posts
Liked in: 1958 posts
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby jimmy4321 » Nov 26th, 2017, 6:28 am

There's a difference if it's rewriting history for accuracy.

maryjane48 likes this post.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3713
Likes: 981 posts
Liked in: 1684 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby Gilchy » Nov 26th, 2017, 9:24 am

Removing statues of traitors is not erasing slavery from history, it simply stops celebrating them.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Gilchy
Übergod
 
Posts: 1089
Likes: 161 posts
Liked in: 497 posts
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 7:51 am

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby FreeRights » Nov 26th, 2017, 11:05 am

Gilchy wrote:Removing statues of traitors is not erasing slavery from history, it simply stops celebrating them.

I agree that removing the statues is not erasing history (with books and the internet now, you simply cannot erase history - although there's going to be a ton of alternate realities of history floating around).

However, I don't agree with removing statues. They are part of history, and like ancient Greek and Roman statues, should be treated as artifacts. Not all of the Greek and Roman statues depict good people.

If people are celebrating a statue or a painting or whatever because they see all the racism or negative points behind it, the solution isn't to remove the artifact. Being pro-Confederate doesn't automatically mean pro-racism - without actually having conversation and debate, nobody really knows why people believe what they do, but people have that right to believe it.

The reason that there's such a divide between right wing and left wing people is due to the failure on both sides to be able to have an open debate - and following, not labeling and hating the other person if they fail to agree. Specifically when talking about people on the left protesting speakers at universities - I will and continue to criticize them for that.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

2 people like this post.
FreeRights
Guru
 
Posts: 5572
Likes: 298 posts
Liked in: 1958 posts
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 26th, 2017, 12:24 pm

You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Shall we erect statue of hitler in ottawa for german canadians since its just a statue ? :smt045
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2666 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby Gilchy » Nov 26th, 2017, 2:45 pm

The vast majority of the statues were put up in the 1940s-60s, reacting to civil rights movement in a not so subtle reminder of the “Southern Heritagw”.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Gilchy
Übergod
 
Posts: 1089
Likes: 161 posts
Liked in: 497 posts
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 7:51 am

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby christopher » Nov 26th, 2017, 5:38 pm

maryjane48 wrote:You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Shall we erect statue of hitler in ottawa for german canadians since its just a statue ? :smt045


History of the civil war show tax's imposed on the South played a big roll many Americans do not know that.

averagejoe likes this post.
christopher
Fledgling
 
Posts: 306
Likes: 567 posts
Liked in: 219 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby FreeRights » Nov 26th, 2017, 9:30 pm

maryjane48 wrote:You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Shall we erect statue of hitler in ottawa for german canadians since its just a statue ? :smt045

Being pro Confederate doesn't necessarily mean pro racist. Even if a person is racist, that isn't hate speech until they run around suggesting a certain race of people should be killed. I would argue that yes, even a racist should be able to talk without being protested, because it's through dialogue that these issues can get sorted out.

I'm entirely pro free speech. Just because I don't like it or because its wrong doesn't mean that it cannot be said.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru
 
Posts: 5572
Likes: 298 posts
Liked in: 1958 posts
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby Verum » Nov 26th, 2017, 9:57 pm

FreeRights wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:You say being pro confedrate is racist ? Really ? Lol even most americans know what civil war was about .. And the statues will be removed as alot already have been .

Shall we erect statue of hitler in ottawa for german canadians since its just a statue ? :smt045

Being pro Confederate doesn't necessarily mean pro racist. Even if a person is racist, that isn't hate speech until they run around suggesting a certain race of people should be killed. I would argue that yes, even a racist should be able to talk without being protested, because it's through dialogue that these issues can get sorted out.

I'm entirely pro free speech. Just because I don't like it or because its wrong doesn't mean that it cannot be said.

Protest is a form of speech.

Freedom of speech just guarantees that you are free to say what you want, with some minor caveats. It does not insulate you from the consequences of your speech. It does not mean that anyone has to listen. It does not mean that anyone has to give you a platform. It does not prevent you being protested.

If the best thing you can say about the speech you are about to give, if all you can say to defend it to those who disagree with you is that you are legally allowed to say it because of freedom of speech, you have a very weak case and should probably examine the purpose of what you are about to say. That said, I stand by your right to say pretty much with minor caveats.

Some people might think that by promoting your rights, even if I disagree with your actions, means I am supporting you, but those people are wrong.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
User avatar
Verum
Übergod
 
Posts: 1393
Likes: 708 posts
Liked in: 1044 posts
Joined: Oct 6th, 2017, 12:31 am

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby FreeRights » Nov 26th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Verum wrote:Protest is a form of speech.

Freedom of speech just guarantees that you are free to say what you want, with some minor caveats. It does not insulate you from the consequences of your speech. It does not mean that anyone has to listen. It does not mean that anyone has to give you a platform. It does not prevent you being protested.

If the best thing you can say about the speech you are about to give, if all you can say to defend it to those who disagree with you is that you are legally allowed to say it because of freedom of speech, you have a very weak case and should probably examine the purpose of what you are about to say. That said, I stand by your right to say pretty much with minor caveats.

Some people might think that by promoting your rights, even if I disagree with your actions, means I am supporting you, but those people are wrong.

I agree with you that protesting speech is fine. However, having speakers cancel their events due to safety issues, causing increased security, and essentially preventing people a platform is not fine.

Protesting in the means of blockading doors to prevent others from hearing it is not fine. This is the step between not agreeing with something, to preventing others from hearing it.

I also agree that if the best argument one can make to give a speak, is that it's legal, it's a weak argument. But an argument should not even be had, as they have a right to say it and people should be able to hear it. If a person has no platform, then nobody will attend. It absolutely disgusts me, even as a liberal, not even to see people protest speeches, but to see people from preventing others from seeing them.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru
 
Posts: 5572
Likes: 298 posts
Liked in: 1958 posts
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Rewriting American History

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 26th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Lol you think giving nazi alt righters a platform is something we should allow ?
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2666 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Next

Return to World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blais65 and 3 guests