Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

Post by GordonH »

Noisy neighbours don't bother me, I have 2 effective solutions.
Daytime noise canceling headset
Bedtime silicone earplugs

All I have is the stinky smelling pot from next door, unlike your neighbours JLives there is no talking with this as :cuss: hole.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The big difference is WHEN they make that noise..l
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:The big difference is WHEN they make that noise..l

With silicone earplugs it doesn't matter (don't use foam though)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Omnitheo wrote:I’m pretty sure one of my neighbours is a Harley mechanic actually. They make some noise in the middle of the day.

Thankfully though, unlike my other neighbours, they aren’t up at 6am on Sunday mowing their lawn.
There are also some dogs in my neighbourhood. Night Dog for instance, or The Howling Husky. My last address I also had the pleasure of listening to Morning Dog. Most places I’ve lived I’ve had the pleasure of being able to hear loud shrieking children playing in their yards (believe me I wasn’t a quiet child in my day either)

And sometimes, we have parties. We’ll listen to loud music outside, and then come late night we’ll turn it down, but we’ll continue to enjoy our balcony and have people outside talking.

People make noise. It’s the cost of living near people. If one of our neighbours decided to get chickens, well good on them. People have a right to live their lives, and we can all tolerate eachother’s activities.

10/10

You just described most typical neighbourhoods where people live and enjoy their properties.

When discussing the topic of Air BNB there is the added element of people staying in your neighbourhood that may not care about the neighbours or have mutual respect. They pay for their number of days, do what they please and leave. I’m sure most are respectful but it only takes one bad apple as they say.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

GordonH wrote:Noisy neighbours don't bother me, I have 2 effective solutions.

All I have is the stinky smelling pot from next door, unlike your neighbours JLives there is no talking with this as :cuss: hole.

Why is he an a :cuss: hole because you have to smell something a few times a day? Why not ignore it and get on with your day? My neighbours are heavy cigarette smokers and it totally grosses me out. And played Power 104 out of their garage everyday sun up to sundown. I didn't enjoy it but I never called bylaw. Live and let live. I'm sure we annoyed them sometimes too. Thankfully they have now moved though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Noisy neighbours don't bother me, I have 2 effective solutions.

JLives wrote:Why is he an a :cuss: hole because you have to smell something a few times a day? Why not ignore it and get on with your day? My neighbours are heavy cigarette smokers and it totally grosses me out. And played Power 104 out of their garage everyday sun up to sundown. I didn't enjoy it but I never called bylaw. Live and let live. I'm sure we annoyed them sometimes too. Thankfully they have now moved though.

I do ignore it, by not enjoying my backyard every time they decide to light-up.

Added: I grew up around dairy barns, pigs etc... the smell of pot makes me gag for some reason (just the skunky smelly ones).
Maybe it because the amount of times I had to wash our dog after he encountered a skunk (lol), don't know why.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well thank god for Zoning Regulations and Bylaws...don't be too quick to dismiss their importance

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mission-sues- ... 23675.html
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

so just curious for all those who think that zoning regulations and bylaws are just plain stupid and for whiners think the Homeowners in my posted link should learn to live and let live ??

I mean a Homeowner should be allowed to do whatever they want with their property...right ????

if the neighbors don't like it, they should just move....right ??
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Hmmm wrote:She should have stopped, before she said they shouldn’t come if they can’t afford a hotel. That was just disgusting and way to privileged sounding. IMO

Actually I believe her comment about users "not being able to afford a hotel" is in agreement with Len Merchant's Nov 20/17 https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... good-thing very pro ABNB Letter to the editor where he states:
LenMerchant wrote: It brings in more tourists who would not be able to afford a pricey hotel room..........Those using ABNB can't afford hotels and would probably take their tourist dollar elsewhere

Even the pro ABNB crowd concedes that ABNB users can't afford hotels, so why exactly should these clearly finacially challenged users be considered as such desired tourists here to spend money clearly they don't have?

Mr Merchant goes on to state:
Lenmerchant wrote: ABNB is a great thing for the area and should be left in the hands of the operators.

Why not let all business's, or whole industries for that matter, be totally unregulated with no documented standards, regulations or even health and safety inspections. Sounds like a recipe for chaos doesn't it? Or exactly what the ABNB industry in Kelowna is right now or has the very real possibility of becoming without proper standards and enforced regulations.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Honestly. The last thing any city needs is more regulation. Id be all for relaxing all laws regarding what a person can do on their own land . RDCO is an over reaching entity at times.
COK is the same. Both are waging war on pwople who can not afford to fight back.

Between the side walk law. The kuipers peak park. And now airbnb. There is clearly a strong gentrification movement afoot.

Maybe instead of focusing on all these working paying folks. The city could look at Leon ave. Clean that mess up. Then come tell avg joe he cant rent out a room on air bnb
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Jflem1983 wrote:Honestly. The last thing any city needs is more regulation. Id be all for relaxing all laws regarding what a person can do on their own land . RDCO is an over reaching entity at times.
COK is the same. Both are waging war on pwople who can not afford to fight back.

Between the side walk law. The kuipers peak park. And now airbnb. There is clearly a strong gentrification movement afoot.

Maybe instead of focusing on all these working paying folks. The city could look at Leon ave. Clean that mess up. Then come tell avg joe he cant rent out a room on air bnb

In some ways I agree (Leon is a foul disgusting tragedy). But air b'nb is a curse upon good homeowning citizens of this parish.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

lightspeed wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Honestly. The last thing any city needs is more regulation. Id be all for relaxing all laws regarding what a person can do on their own land . RDCO is an over reaching entity at times.

In some ways I agree (Leon is a foul disgusting tragedy). But air b'nb is a curse upon good homeowning citizens of this parish.

I am far from pro air bnb. I just dont want the city stepping in. I guess im in the category of its not bothering me.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Jflem1983 wrote: I guess im in the category of its not bothering me.

So until something bothers YOU it should be OK and legal? Sounds a bit self-centered in that context doesn't it?

What happens when something bothers you? What do you do? Can't call the authorities as that would involve rules or regulations.
What happens if your next door neighbor was to open an after hours club/booze can? Scrap yard? Crack Shack? The Gospel Mission relocates beside you?
Remember it is THEIR property, so they shouldn't be subject to rules or regulation, right?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

cv23 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote: I guess im in the category of its not bothering me.

So until something bothers YOU it should be OK and legal? Sounds a bit self-centered in that context doesn't it?

What happens when something bothers you? What do you do? Can't call the authorities as that would involve rules or regulations.
What happens if your next door neighbor was to open an after hours club/booze can? Scrap yard? Crack Shack? The Gospel Mission relocates beside you?
Remember it is THEIR property, so they shouldn't be subject to rules or regulation, right?

It would be none of my business what my neighbor did on his own land.

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

There is a difference between buying a condo within a building you know has short term rentals as opposed to suddenly your NDN is renting rooms out by the night.
I like the smell of weed. Not wood burning fireplaces tho. Only way live and let live can work if we host Hunger Games once a year. Or the purge :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Central Okanagan”