Jflem1983
Guru

Kelowna declares war on cars.

Post by Jflem1983 »

What a load of horse.
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 73c5b.html
Just read the article in todays news.

Needless to say its all bad.

Obviously. Council is in need of some big changes.
These people are so disconnected from reality.

How do u get around ? I drive. I have zero interest in public transit. I wont take it
Last edited by Jflem1983 on Nov 27th, 2017, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
spooker

Re: Kelowna declares war on cars.

Post by spooker »

Jflem1983 wrote:How do u get around ? I drive. I have zero interest in public transit. I wont take it

And that is probably why you are consistently in a bad mood ... studies show that all other ways of getting around help people be happier ...

btw ... is there a link you could supply that would give some context to your statements?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

spooker wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:How do u get around ? I drive. I have zero interest in public transit. I wont take it

And that is probably why you are consistently in a bad mood ... studies show that all other ways of getting around help people be happier ...

btw ... is there a link you could supply that would give some context to your statements?

Castanet wont publish the link.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

I take transit on occasion,it's quite entertaining
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jflem1983 wrote:Castanet wont publish the link.

Was it titled "Kelowna council to take on car culture"?

No one is coming around to take your truck away from you ... no one is saying that "you" need to get out of your car ... these are societal attitudes that need to be adjusted ... we need to stop taking it personally ...

I was like you in the 80's and 90's ... they'd have to pry my car keys from my cold dead fingers ... I was not a happy person, and boy was I out of shape, headed for an early grave ...

Moved to Europe for 5 years and my mind exploded with all the goodness that can be had when density is the norm and good transit is just the way it is ...

Moved back to Canada in 2005 and I've made decisions in my life that make it so that I am not car-dependent ... I'm happy to see this coming from our municipal government, shows that maybe there is a political will to do the right thing, not just the easy thing ...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I too lived in europe at one time. No comparrison here. This is kelowna we are talking about.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Personally public transit has never worked for me, those who it does work for :up:
Cycling was always a recreation, also does not work for in my job. Good on those who can use it for both.

When the vehicle I currently have needs to be replaced, hopefully hydrogen station will be available around the Province. My first choice of a non-fossil fuel vehicle would be fuel-cell.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Published in another local media source, so no link. The thread topic is taken right from the headline, which shows a bit of bias, imo

Having said that, it would sure appear that way is the intent. A couple of key points from the report:

1. The City is only responsible for 1% of the GHG emissions, and so the target will be the other 99%... You and me.

2. The city should consider no more drive throughs

3. The city should consider a no-idling bylaw

4. The city should increase parking rates

5. The city should increase densification and prevent more sprawl.

6. The city should consider a gas tax, like Vancouver.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yes tax people more that should fix everything
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Retrosnap wrote:Published in another local media source, so no link. The thread topic is taken right from the headline, which shows a bit of bias, imo

Having said that, it would sure appear that way is the intent. A couple of key points from the report:

1. The City is only responsible for 1% of the GHG emissions, and so the target will be the other 99%... You and me.

2. The city should consider no more drive throughs

3. The city should consider a no-idling bylaw

4. The city should increase parking rates

5. The city should increase densification and prevent more sprawl.

6. The city should consider a gas tax, like Vancouver. Fuel stations outside city of Kelowna boundary would over joyed with this one. Of course they my have to put in bigger storage tanks. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Have a read through some of these proposals. I personally have an issue with T8. The T10 proposal they can simply stuff where the sun don't shine.
Can you say collusion? Price fixing?

9544697_web1_citygraphic2.jpg
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

If this is the case, the walk needs to match the talk. The city isn't doing a great job encouraging bike or transit usage, particularly with mitigating for construction.
Existing bike lanes aren't maintained or full of debris. The bike lane on rutland road/acland road is full of construction debris and gravel and has been that way for months. And this is meant to be the alternate bike route around the hiway construction. Transit isn't much better through this route as the bus would wait at the acland stop sign for 10-15minutes and be late. 97 bus stop at mccurdy has been closed for seems like close to a year. I'll hear the response that its a provincial project and but really if the city wants to have bus and cycling be an option for citizens, then the city operations need to make it more of a priority.

Safety is also a very real concern with both cycling and transit. I'd be concerned about the risk to my safety waiting for bus at either downtown or the mall after dark.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

WalterWhite wrote:Have a read through some of these proposals. I personally have an issue with T8. The T10 proposal they can simply stuff where the sun don't shine.
Can you say collusion? Price fixing?

9544697_web1_citygraphic2.jpg

The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Kelowna is one of the most vehicle dependant cities i have ever lived in. There is no transit. Cabs are really expensive. Tons of hills make cycling less enjoyable. Even if u did want to cycle. There are no bike routes. Just shoulders of roads to ride on. I notice no one ever cycles on my road. I wonder why not ? Oh ya cuz they would get hit by a truck . I litterally have to run just to cross my street to the neighbors . If the city is wprried about greenhouse gases. Maybe the city ought to do something. Punishing the citizens for doing what they need to do to get around is ridiculous. Bus service needs to be 24 / 7. 365. Every ten minutes. City wide. Or it is useless to most . This council all need to go. Hodge can stay

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

spooker wrote:And that is probably why you are consistently in a bad mood ... studies show that all other ways of getting around help people be happier ...

Darn right on that!

I saw at least four people today, who possessed such astounding driving skills, that I'd be ecstatic to see them switch to public transit. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:yes tax people more that should fix everything

How do you think they're paying for the widening of Hwy 97? More roads == more taxes come out of our pockets

Return to “Central Okanagan”