Kelowna declares war on cars.

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna declares war on cars.

Post by Hmmm »

You do know that it’s meat production that causes by far the most green house emissions on the planet? Not speculation, but 100% fact. Maybe people should be encouraged to eat much less meat. It doesn’t have to be served on every meal you know.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
sixxonesixx
Fledgling

Post by sixxonesixx »

I just saw all the percentages of where these gases come from. No where do I see anything from wildfires, stack burn off(oilfield), volcanos, etc. Seems like just another biased report from some cheesy government propaganda campaign. Can we see real numbers please. Global warming has happened throughout time. We're just speeding up a process that will happen regardless. What did these numbers look like when there was no firefighting and volcanoes were very active?
We're all aware of core samples that were taken from the arctic from thousands of years ago with time frames showing that global warming has happened previously. Come on. Lets get a balanced insight on what's really going on.
just sayin...
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

In a radio interview this morning it was mentioned that Vancouver used part of the gas tax to add bike lanes. The expert who was being interviewed pointed out that while this did increase the number of people biking, we needed to know that it did not reduce the number of vehicles on the road - it did reduce the number of transit riders by a small amount.
As far as the City of Kelowna is concerned, I am inclined to believe that grabbing extra tax revenue is a higher priority than reducing CO2 emissions.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Fix the public transit system so its efficient and covers most of the city. Then if you are going to increase taxes with a gas tax, apply that to the transit system and make it free to encourage people to take the bus.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Transit usage in Canadian cities

42% Toronto - net increase of 8% over 5 years
40% Vancouver
38% Montreal

People will use it when its available, efficient and reliable. Start by holding the transit company currently accountable for service and schedules, then expand accordingly. A street car close to the main highway with buses running from stations would be a good way to reduce traffic on the highway and congestion on side streets. Its also more cost effective for the size of city than a skytrain.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

AlienSoldier wrote:Transit usage in Canadian cities

40% Vancouver
38% Montreal

People will use it when its available, efficient and reliable. Start by holding the transit company currently accountable for service and schedules, then expand accordingly. A street car close to the main highway with buses running from stations would be a good way to reduce traffic on the highway and congestion on side streets. Its also more cost effective for the size of city than a skytrain.

Even i will admit. If transit was effective. I would maybe consider it. The way it is here in kelowna. It is not even an option
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Jflem1983 wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Transit usage in Canadian cities

40% Vancouver
38% Montreal

Even i will admit. If transit was effective. I would maybe consider it. The way it is here in kelowna. It is not even an option

Agreed. Many of those numbers went up due to the systems being available, and reliable (on-time, app for info, etc). It was also interest to findout that transit users in those cities averaged 85,000 per year in wages. Significantly higher than the average Canadian wage.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If I lived in major metropolitan area (not the suburbs), I most likely would not have a vehicle. Drops overall day to day expenses.
If I needed a vehicle just rent it for the time needed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

GordonH wrote:If I lived in major metropolitan area (not the suburbs), I most likely would not have a vehicle. Drops overall day to day expenses.
If I needed a vehicle just rent it for the time needed.

You would maybe be a fan of this then: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-29/uber-style-driverless-cars-to-be-tested-in-perth-in-global-trial/9207120
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

So here we have a city (Kelowna) no LRT. No rail. No useable bus service. Incredibly over priced cabs.

Declares war on the personal automobile. For the environment. Lol. Then they say 99 percent of the problem is u and me .

I dont drive any more than i have too. Now i will admit i drive a lot. Unfortunately it is a requirement.

Not one person buys a litre more fuel than they need. When u have extra money i doubt u go buy 10 40 gallon drums and stock up on fuel ? So this whole idea that people can somehow drive less. Is out to lunch.
What about the truckers. What about cops. What about fire men. All these groups will be punished.

Oh but we are gonna save the planet. From water street.

If the city is worried about air pollution. I would suggest start thinning out dead fall in winter. That will eliminate fuel for fires in spring summer and fall. We could make a real difference to air quality. Also. Mow the ditches. Keep them full of gravel not weeds . There are many many ways to prevent fire and flood. They have precious little to do with me or you getting about your day . The people who fall for this scam are being taken for a ride.

This is a money grubbing sjw council. We need a change.
I dont think hank did it this way
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MARKO

Post by MARKO »

Putting the pressure on drivers is not the solution. Kelowna is a small town. We do not have adequate transit for it to become a viable alternative to driving.
City council is having chest pain at the thought of bringing in Uber. Seriously !? Anyone that has taken Uber knows that it is far superior to brick and mortar taxi services of yesteryear. Even in light of the recent security breach with personal ID I will support the inevitable takeover that Uber will exude on the transit industry. Chalk it up to growing pains of an upstart in the world or cyber based business. Uber supports so many causes beyond the obvious. Students have an opportunity to make some extra cash during the school year, and seniors that seek employment for a little extra money can do this part time, or full time. The flexibility is the key. Taxi drivers that are currently working in the traditional sense can switch gears and work as Uber drivers full time as well. Win win.
As for Kelowna's city bus service, much improvement is needed before I would consider transit over my own vehicle. I will not subscribe to a 2 hour bus ride to go get a jug of milk when I can do it in 10 minutes with my own vehicle.
If our transit is so great then I want to see ALL city employees taking transit to and from work and leisure activities as an example to us all......

M
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

These numbers tells me, Kelowna public transit needs to make huge improvements.
Starting with City Hall leading by example.... hey Mr Mayor
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... na-commute
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:These numbers tells me, Kelowna public transit needs to make huge improvements.
Starting with City Hall leading by example.... hey Mr Mayor
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... na-commute

Well hey. Apparently the bus works for 3 percent of us. Thats way more than i ever would have guessed.
What the heck do those people do that the bus works for them ? Must be students ?

Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

I have been a transit rider here for 13 years. I have saved so much expense over time not having a car and kept in shape from walking to/from stop. My 2 bits. North-side bypass is a given - this is what I see.
Attachments
KelViewKnox3SM.jpg
One can always reason with reason.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

[quote="Andy S"]I have been a transit rider here for 13 years.

Ouch

Return to “Central Okanagan”