Voice lessons for accent reduction

Business and professional recommendations.
Quest

Voice lessons for accent reduction

Post by Quest »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a voice instructor to help me reduce my accent.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Voice lessons for accent reduction

Post by MAPearce »

Why would you do that ???

I love you for who you really are .. Be you , you !
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Quest

Post by Quest »

Hi MAPearce

I appreciate your support :D

The fact is that only when you speak a second language in a place that's not your own country is when you realize how frustrating it is to have to repeat yourself for not pronouncing words properly or being misunderstood. The fact that I can't express myself as well as I would in my first language is already bad enough for me. I don't want a strong accent on top of that.

People like yourself appreciate the many different cultures and diverse lanfuage accents Canada has, but that's not the norm I'm afraid.

:135:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Quest wrote:Hi MAPearce

I appreciate your support :D

The fact is that only when you speak a second language in a place that's not your own country is when you realize how frustrating it is to have to repeat yourself for not pronouncing words properly or being misunderstood. The fact that I can't express myself as well as I would in my first language is already bad enough for me. I don't want a strong accent on top of that.

People like yourself appreciate the many different cultures and diverse lanfuage accents Canada has, but that's not the norm I'm afraid.

:135:

I appreciate your honest effort.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I don’t have an answer to your question.....perhaps online courses?

Or, would Project Literacy have a volunteer for that. I know it is outside of their mandate but there are great volunteers there and there could be someone willing to assist. There are certainly many others who are not illiterate but are ESL and need assistance.

Also, please ensure that this is not only something that exists in your own mind.....I have an acquaintance who has a certain accent from his homeland and he is concerned about it. What he doesn’t realize is that his particular job allows his accent to give him instant credibility, simply by virtue of his position representing a product from the country from which his accent originates.
He never thought of it and appreciated my feedback. I spoke to others that agreed 100%. Whether it is an Indian accent in a place that sells Indian spices, an Italian accent in a Italian restaurant, a German accent in a German automobile place, I think it makes it more credible.

Even if you don’t have that connection with a job, you may be making a bigger deal about it than others would. People will care than you do......however, I realize it is a concern so good luck with a solution.
You and 71 others Like this post
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Kelowna Community Resources has several services for newcomers. I could not see anything specific to accent lessons but they may be able to connect you with something

https://kcr.ca/
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I know a Chinese woman that was born and raised in Canada (Red Dear, AB) and here she is 40 years old and still speaks with an accent. Some accents just don't go away, especially some of the dominate ones. Just like genes, black hair on a child from Chinese/European mix parents
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Quest

Post by Quest »

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

My first language is Portuguese. I have been living in Canada for 22 years and 17 in Kelowna.

I found a voice tutor that I'm trying today. Very excited about it
:up:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Quest wrote:Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

My first language is Portuguese. I have been living in Canada for 22 years and 17 in Kelowna.

I found a voice tutor that I'm trying today. Very excited about it

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Quest

Post by Quest »

OMG I dont know how people can understand me (even though everyone says they can with no problem)
So far we wirked on my Rs, Ws, THs, Ls. So many vowels and consosnts to kearn to pronance properly!!
My home work is to repeat "six thick thristle sticks". Easier writing than speaking
:D
Quest

Post by Quest »

You all have been very helpful. Thank you for your support.
I contacted Project Literacy so let's see what they answer me.
I'll email KCR I will email them as well.
I contacted MedianRehab as well.
Let's see how all this is going to go. Voice lessons are a bit expensive.
Wish me luck and perseverance .

gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Quest wrote:OMG I dont know how people can understand me (even though everyone says they can with no problem)
So far we wirked on my Rs, Ws, THs, Ls. So many vowels and consosnts to kearn to pronance properly!!
My home work is to repeat "six thick thristle sticks". Easier writing than speaking
:D

good luck. I was born in BC and lived here my whole life. I still can't say six thick thristle sticks more than once
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Quest wrote:You all have been very helpful. Thank you for your support.
I contacted Project Literacy so let's see what they answer me.
I'll email KCR I will email them as well.
I contacted MedianRehab as well.
Let's see how all this is going to go. Voice lessons are a bit expensive.
Wish me luck and perseverance .

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Maybe find a compassionate native speaker to practice with.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Good luck on finding something. I am ignorant on what a Portuguese accent sounds like, although I have had significant contact with Portuguese in the south Okanagan thirty years ago.....I just forget.
Do Portuguese do the same "th" sound for an "s" like some of the Spanish do for certain words?
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Referrals”