maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Racial profiling in Saskatchewan

Post by maryjane48 »

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Racial profiling in Saskatchewan

Post by Jflem1983 »

Have u ever even been to saskatchewan. Its half native. Cities like prince albert are quite dangerous.
If police are profiling it is because some neighborhoods are scary.
Hard to profile a rich suburb.
Much easier to find trouble in a slum.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

If the store has many “brown people” shopping in their store why is this guy singled out? What is the other side of the story? Did this guy do something on a previous visit to provoke this? And he seems to be provoking him throughout the video.

The employee was only “suspended”, possibly with pay or maybe they just stuck him in the back. I hardly doubt the store would discipline the employee for providing security.

Also why isn’t there more to this story? Why didn’t this guy do a hidden video while talking to management?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

TreeGuy wrote:If the store has many “brown people” shopping in their store why is this guy singled out? What is the other side of the story? Did this guy do something on a previous visit to provoke this? And he seems to be provoking him throughout the video.

The employee was only “suspended”, possibly with pay or maybe they just stuck him in the back. I hardly doubt the store would discipline the employee for providing security.

Also why isn’t there more to this story? Why didn’t this guy do a hidden video while talking to management?

Really this is about the guy at giant tiger lol. Wah i get followed around stores too bud. Here i thought it was real racial profiling in bad areas like Regina or P.A.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Jflem1983 wrote:Have u ever even been to saskatchewan. Its half native. Cities like prince albert are quite dangerous.

Wow. There's so much wrong with this post. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan and your fear-mongering is completely unwarranted.

Prince Albert isn't quite dangerous. Like any city, there are good areas and bad areas.

People on these boards like to say that everyone should be treated equally and that Natives are benefiting from special treatment by the government. Yet it's beliefs like Jflem's that are exactly why the government needs to support the Native poplulation... because people like this don't treat them as equals and just go around spewing garbage about how dangerous they are.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

TreeGuy wrote:If the store has many “brown people” shopping in their store why is this guy singled out? What is the other side of the story? Did this guy do something on a previous visit to provoke this? And he seems to be provoking him throughout the video.

exactly......this story stinks, seem to me the only racist in this story is the guy, and yes profiling works very well, ask the cia ,fbi ,mossad, csis,mi5 on and on it goes
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

REGINA — Giant Tiger says an employee has been suspended after a video circulated on social media showing a man being followed around one of the store's Regina locations.

The video, which was posted to Facebook on Friday, has been viewed more than 225,000 times and has left commenters accusing the employee of racial profiling.

The employee was probably suspended for his own safety.
Bring back the LIKE button.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Lets all grow up people. Racial profiling is alive and well and not going anywhere.

If statistics say that (and I am not maikg any statement here about any group in particular) that one legged, blonde haired people over 6 feet tall are committing the bulk of petty crimes in a particular neighborhood, then it would make sense that those in charge of providing security/protection would pay more attention to those individucals than others.

That is how the world works. Always has and always will.

That guy might just be the dumbest LPO I have ever seen and I have seen some really dumb ones.

What I found interesting is that the subject is wearing a Cleveland hat. I thought natives were outraged over the symbolism chief whateverhisname is portrays. But that's a conversation for another thread.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

great point
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Jonrox wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Have u ever even been to saskatchewan. Its half native. Cities like prince albert are quite dangerous.

Wow. There's so much wrong with this post. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan and your fear-mongering is completely unwarranted.

Prince Albert isn't quite dangerous. Like any city, there are good areas and bad areas.

People on these boards like to say that everyone should be treated equally and that Natives are benefiting from special treatment by the government. Yet it's beliefs like Jflem's that are exactly why the government needs to support the Native poplulation... because people like this don't treat them as equals and just go around spewing garbage about how dangerous they are.

Ok bud u go hang out around onion lake. La ronge. Spirit river. Etc. There are some rough spots out there. I suggest u pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

Last and only time i was in la ronge. My stinky clothes from 3 weeks in the bush got stolen. Ya its a lovely place.
Found 2 dead dogs under a bullet riddled boat at the downtow boat launch. Real safe. Real nice. Please go on a tour

Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It's interesting that you brought up La Ronge. I spent a few summers there. It's truly a spectacular lake... some of the best times of my childhood.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Jonrox wrote:I spent a few summers at the lake at La Ronge. It's truly a spectacular lake... some of the best times of my childhood.

The lake is awesome. I paddled those lakes for 3 weeks.
Thats why i was there.
I remember all the fan boats. Really cool way to live up there.
Just the town itself was scary

Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The town is a bit rough... I'll give you that. I have a friend who was an EMT there for several years and he's got some wild stories.

I've spent quite a bit of time in PA over the years though and it's nowhere near as bad as La Ronge.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

mexi cali wrote:
If statistics say that (and I am not maikg any statement here about any group in particular) that one legged, blonde haired people over 6 feet tall are committing the bulk of petty crimes in a particular neighborhood, then it would make sense that those in charge of providing security/protection would pay more attention to those individucals than others.

That is how the world works. Always has and always will.

That guy might just be the dumbest LPO I have ever seen and I have seen some really dumb ones.

Interestingly, although it definitely used to be the case about profiling people based on race, its not standard or even commonplace now. Behavioral profiling has proven to be extremely successful when applied by state security/national security forces and its application has been passed to other avenues of security including the private sector.

A good example is counter terrorism - one seeks pre-incident indicators as opposed to race.

Shoplifting is another. If Race A steals more, focusing on them specifically leaves open every shoplifter that doesn't fit your concept of who a shoplifter is. This is why surveillance based on behaviour - or "profiling" - is actually standard now.

So no, its racial profiling is definitely not how the world works - in security operations, anyway.

mexi cali wrote:What I found interesting is that the subject is wearing a Cleveland hat. I thought natives were outraged over the symbolism chief whateverhisname is portrays. But that's a conversation for another thread.

Sure, if you like generalizing people. Apparently not all Natives share the same beliefs or the same stance about everything.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

If police are profiling it is because some neighborhoods are scary.
Hard to profile a rich suburb.
Much easier to find trouble in a slum.

Are you for real? Have you ever resided in Prince Albert?
Mind your own business and it is no more dangerous then Kelowna or any other City of 45000 people. Yes it may very well be a inner-city reserve as the population is over 50%.

IF for a moment you think it is dangerous because of the Penitentiary, the Provincial Jail or the Woman's Jail you are out to lunch.

I have to ask you, why is it dangerous? I grew up there and know it very well.

Return to “Canada”