Straight,Bi,Gay..... Does it matter?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Straight,Bi,Gay..... Does it matter?

Post by JLives »

the truth wrote:guess you missed the pride parade anticks [icon_lol2.gif] anyone else would of been arrested for gross indecency

I marched in the pride parade with my daughter. I saw no indecency.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i am talking about the vancouver one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

JLives wrote: I marched in the pride parade with my daughter. I saw no indecency.

:135: What? Everyone there happy and smiling and otherwise being non-hateful?

Sadly, indecent to some I guess - and that's the truth :smt045
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Wave101 wrote:Equality for all should truly mean all humans are treated the same.

This is one of the most repeated and totally ridiculous statements I see on a regular basis. Nobody actually believes that all people should be treated the same, nor does anybody actually treat everybody the same.

We make buildings handicap accessible. We give parents tax breaks for having kids. We give the elderly breaks on health care expenses. I could keep going with dozens of examples but I think you get the point.

We’re all different and a lot of people require and deserve different treatment than everyone else in order to be treated equally. Treating everyone the same would really disadvantage a huge number of people. Instead, it’s likely a better strategy to embrace differences and try to treat everyone as EQUALS. This may actually mean you have to put a little more time, energy, or money into being able to do this in order to accommodate everyone’s differences.

You may have to actually treat someone a bit different in order to treat them as an equal... and you all already do it anyway, so this shouldn’t be a big deal.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

the truth wrote:i am talking about the vancouver one

I was at the Vancouver one - I attend it every year - and I'm not sure what indecency you're talking about. Nobody had their genitals hanging out, so unless you consider tight pants to be "indecent" - or just the fact that it's a Pride parade makes it indecent, but you've very clearly never seen one.

Sexual orientation and gender fluidity doesn't matter to me - and should not matter to anyone else. What one person likes or feels doesn't impact me, so it's outrageous to me that some unaffected people were causing a fuss about it.

I don't think we're quite there yet with the equality yet - I mean, in Vancouver you're pretty fine being gay, bi, straight, or even trans and nobody really bats an eye. I don't think Kelowna is quite that far along with the trans people yet, which is another example of something that impacts nobody else but that person and demonstrates that we aren't quite there yet.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

How about stating exactly what was indecent about the Vancouver parade?
If you weren't there then I suspect you don't have any idea. If you were there why did you stay and watch?
You and 71 others Like this post
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

LANDM wrote:

How about stating exactly what was indecent about the Vancouver parade?
If you weren't there then I suspect you don't have any idea. If you were there why did you stay and watch?

:135: What? Everyone there happy and smiling and otherwise being non-hateful ???
I don't think any of the haters would have wanted to stick around for all that.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Jonrox wrote:You may have to actually treat someone a bit different in order to treat them as an equal... and you all already do it anyway, so this shouldn’t be a big deal.

Being treated equally is a matter of perspective. Your argument that old people should be treated differently is true, but at the same time, my argument that old people should be treated equally to everyone else is also true.

As an example, anyone in the world can be born disabled or become disabled in their lifetime. The important part of this is that it can happen to anyone. Since that is the case, we are all treated equally if we are disabled. It also means that we are treated differently than non disabled people.

This can also be said for people who are poor or rich or old or young. Everyone in the (civilized) world has the chance at becoming rich, and obviously everyone in the world will at some point be young or old. Even if we treat these people differently, we are in essence treating everyone the same way. A rich person will always be taxed more, a poor person less. If that poor person becomes rich, they will be taxed more. A child for instance can not vote, but when that child turns 18, they can vote like everyone else. They are being treated the same as everyone else was.

People who are born a certain colour, gender, or sexual preference can not change that and never will be able to change that. Because these are things that can never be changed, we should not give them special treatment.

To give people of a certain colour or ethnic background special treatment is racism.
To give people of a certain gender special treatment is sexism.
To give people of a certain sexual preference special treatment is discrimination.
Last edited by Wave101 on Nov 26th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:The most vocal people left standing in the whole LGBQABCDE debate are the LGBQABCDE people. They are like the Japanese soldiers isolated on an island in the Pacific who don't know the war is over and still firing shots at anyone who comes near. They leave most of us in the hetro world scratching our heads wondering what all the ranting is about.

Beautiful analogy.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:The most vocal people left standing in the whole LGBQABCDE debate are the LGBQABCDE people. They are like the Japanese soldiers isolated on an island in the Pacific who don't know the war is over and still firing shots at anyone who comes near. They leave most of us in the hetro world scratching our heads wondering what all the ranting is about.

It seems only the most radical, the most in your face, the most green/purple/orange haired , gstring in public, french kissing and groping on the street corner, chain wearing with latex are still ranting about equality. Most straight people who are seen as their adversaries would object to hetero demonstrations of sexuality to these extremes.

Lighten up. You have all the rights as anyone. Get over yourselves and settle in to a normal life like anyone else. You are not a victim. You are not special and don't deserve more rights than anyone else. Don't expect, as any straight person would not, acceptance of extreme behavior that is anomalously outside of common life standards. Stop behaving like queer idiots in public and ranting at the reaction as it would be the same for a hetro idiot to parade their sexuality in public.

I and everyone around me in my boring, middle class, straight circles accept you as we accept anyone. Stop looking for special treatment.

I don't think they're looking for special treatment, just treatment as equals. If we take a quick look at trans people, for example, you cannot tell me that they are generally accepted and treated equally to others.

I do agree that pushing a protest can go to far, but in this case, they aren't quite there yet.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the truth wrote:guess you missed the pride parade anticks [icon_lol2.gif] anyone else would of been arrested for gross indecency

Weres your proof. Lets see it in pics .you implying cops let crimes go unpunnished whileclooking directly at them ? Your getting close to liable area making baseless accusations on whole segment with no proof .

I have watched the one in vancouver few times. As its family event i will also take my daughter and grand daughter as i have zero worry of it remaining a family event .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

maryjane48 wrote:

Weres your proof. Lets see it in pics .you implying cops let crimes go unpunnished whileclooking directly at them ? Your getting close to liable area making baseless accusations on whole segment with no proof .

I have watched the one in vancouver few times. As its family event i will also take my daughter and grand daughter as i have zero worry of it remaining a family event .

How can a post of an opinion, on a anonymous based forum, be considered "liable" ?? There are NO TEETH in that implied threat.
But, by all means, carry on.
Bring back the LIKE button.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I hsve posts deleted for same proposed threat. So you implying castanet is biased against me ? :smt045
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

JayByrd wrote:
You belittle them, albeit in a minor way, and then say that the mistreatment they're speaking about, isn't happening. I suppose you think racism is over too.

If you think those on the LBGTQ spectrum are no longer being mistreated, and no longer having their human rights trampled, it's probably because you just don't see it in your boring, middle class, straight circle. When's the last time you had a conversation with a trans person, and asked what they experience day to day?

And what extreme behaviour are you talking about? And don't bring up something you saw in a news story about a Pride parade.

Jeeez JayByrd...where do I start and exactly how can you get into my head through a keyboard and get it so wrong? And racism as well?? Let's leave that one alone.

I'm not "belittling them". I'm saying they are are equal to me. No worse. No better. No different. This is my point as best illustrate by your defensive response...if they are not treated better or given extraordinary privileges, then that is belittling? That's discrimination?

And where do I “say that the mistreatment they're speaking about, isn't happening”? Didn't say that Sunshine. Don't respond to posts by stating that someone SAID something that is instead your interpretation.

“...being mistreated, and no longer having their human rights trampled” My God! Travel!!! Canada has the most progressive LGBTQABCDE rights on the fuggin planet. We all share the same legal rights as Canadians..not as hetro Canadians, or LGBTetc Canadians or Canadians who ride unicycles or martian Canadians. There is no trampling, no more than if I wore a polyester leisure suit with a snaggle tooth pendant on my hairy chest exposed to my navel trolling fer babes in a public place. I too will be "trampled" by the first set of rednecks out of the saloon. Travel as an openly LGBTQABCDE person in many countries of the world and you come home battered if you come home at all.

Oh my. Must I go on. I've seen Gay Pride parades in Vancouver, not as a participant but as a spectator trapped by pedestrian closures. If it was a hetro parade based on sexuality, it could easily fit in with an adult film festival being held in town.

Am I allowed to say I'd be against overt public demonstrations of hetro sexuality? Well I am. Oh crap! That's likely labelled as a moral stereotype of hyper conservative moral fanaticism and dismissed as non-progressive antediluvianism. Ya just can't win in the label game.

The legal battle in Canada for LGBetc rights is over. We are all equal. The same. I have no special rights, just as no special interest group in Canada should have. We are Canadians.

But if individuals in any identifiable and self labeled special interest group continue to troll for fights, they will find them.

Many special interest PC groups and their many causes need to get over themselves and have a great life any way they choose or have been destined to live (except cultures that want to violently compromise other peaceful cultures...don't go there even though you want to). Just don't beat yourself up over thinking you are any more special than anyone else. And don't expect support from the non-vocal majority sitting out here shaking our heads.

And lastly, nothing I said is based on the news about a Pride parade...but if you insist...
...and also for all those in this forum who "saw no indecency"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75p14ToVr88

If I told you I was the guy at 0:37, would you respect me more?
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.

Return to “Social Concerns”