Bali and Go-fund me

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Bali and Go-fund me

Post by TreeGuy »

Not too often we see so many in the forums agree on a topic. :130:

And sorry if so many of my posts I relate to my accident this summer, it’s been kind of a big deal and game changer for me. Set up a go fund me page for me and when it reaches $5000 I will stop bringing it up. LOL
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

I truly was expecting some people defending the Go-fund me approach! I am glad so many people agree.

However, I do believe it is also irresponsible of Castanet to support a direct link to this page as well. They are helping promote the abuse of this.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I hope they have Airbnb there. Oops, I brought that into the ring. Ding!
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Even Steven wrote:You don't want to help out? Don't donate then.

You want to help out somebody in the bind? Donate then.

Easy peasy.

I agree with you to a point, but there's a problem with having no barriers.
This waters down the good that go fund me might accomplish with worthwhile things.
*bleep* like this makes people go sour on go fund me, or ignore someone/something that might be totally legit.

I'd be embarrassed, myself, to ask for a hand out in their case.
However, maybe they didn't ask?
Maybe Castanet shouldn't publish begging such as this?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

TreeGuy wrote:Not too often we see so many in the forums agree on a topic. :130:

And sorry if so many of my posts I relate to my accident this summer, it’s been kind of a big deal and game changer for me. Set up a go fund me page for me and when it reaches $5000 I will stop bringing it up. LOL

Your situation and going to known volcano island are not the same . You actualy deserve some help
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Im trying to go fund me to a new Bentley.
Gotta have wheels to get around don't ya know.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
jcow84

Post by jcow84 »

Well, someone may have been reading these posts as the Go Fund Me has been made inactive - it got to $275 only.

https://www.gofundme.com/get-mackenzie-and-family-home
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

say's it all [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Maybe they can use that $275 for their in flight meals ( you want chicken or fish? ) No i'll have the Volcano special and a Gofundme Martini
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I've got my eye on one of those Jeep Grand Cherokee Hellcats, someone want to tutor me on how to set up a go fund me page, so I can have someone else pay for it? :raspberry: :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Hmmm wrote:I agree, the gofundme for these people is or should be an embarrassment to them. Three week dream vacation and now need help to come home. I guess they will come home when the planes can fly again. Just suck it up buttercups. Really, its disgusting. I bet they ask their mommy and daddy for loans too. Please, may I have a little more sir? Grow up, man up or shut up.

It was a Go Fund Me?
I guess I was speed-reading and accidentally read Fund as something else!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Apparently this little family is on their way home! Planes able to leave Bali.
In their defense, it was a friend and not them who started the Go-fund me.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Yes maybe the couple requested it be taken down.
Had another situation where a colleague had a grandchild born disabled so someone started a GoFundMe for the young couple which to me was a good cause.
The thing is the colleague was building a 1.5 million dollar house at the time.
It almost felt like if I donated I was paying for their house as they could more than afford to help their children.
What did people do before GoFundMe?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

TreeGuy wrote:Not too often we see so many in the forums agree on a topic. :130:

maryjane48 wrote:Your situation and going to known volcano island are not the same . You actualy deserve some help

I really appreciate that MJ. However the point of my post was that I didn’t require help because as a responsible adult I had measures in place to look after myself and family.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

bjsilent wrote:Why on earth would someone travel without travel insurance?

Because it costs money upfront.

Most travellers simply hit the "decline" button when they book their travel, granted, many already have travel insurance on their credit card (if they're using that card to purchase the trip) but people want the cheapest deal - and when something goes amiss, well, then its up to everyone else.

However, travel insurance may not even cover their expenses - it all depends on the policy - so read the fine print carefully. In most cases, if travellers simply booked a higher fare class or choose a specific airline, by reading the fine print before they hit the "buy now" button, most travel "poor me" situations could be avoided :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”