maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Virk killer granted parole

Post by maryjane48 »

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Virk killer granted parole

Post by JayByrd »

I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating for Ms. Ellard here, because I'm not.

But...

She's served 20 years. Many people who commit similar crimes are walking free by this point. At what point do people think parole is reasonable? And whatever your answer may be, is it based on the crime? Is there anything the convicted person can do while incarcerated, to earn this opportunity?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/kelly-ellard-asks-again-for-day-parole-1.4426645

Disgusting

'Disgusting doesn't even begin to describe a system that allows two convicted and incarcerated criminals to conceive a child in prison. What chance does this poor, innocent little child have of becoming a well-adjusted, law-biding citizen as an adult?
goodbuygirl

good grief..

Post by goodbuygirl »

what? first of all why would they give her the opportunity to become pregnant while in prison? no child should start their life in prison, no matter what, no excuse. In a few years our society will have another kelly ellard to deal with. Second, if she is rehabilitated then why does she need treatment? This is just a bunch of nonsense! I was present for some of the courtroom trial for Reena Virk. My heart breaks for her parents who suffer for their daughters senseless death at the hands of this monster. She should not get parol. I don't care if she has a child now. The child should have been taken by the Ministry as soon as it was born. They take kids away from far less unfit parents than Kelly Ellard. Put her back where she belongs! (vent over)
Last edited by goodbuygirl on Nov 30th, 2017, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bslutz

Post by bslutz »

JayByrd wrote:I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating for Ms. Ellard here, because I'm not.

But...

She's served 20 years. Many people who commit similar crimes are walking free by this point. At what point do people think parole is reasonable? And whatever your answer may be, is it based on the crime? Is there anything the convicted person can do while incarcerated, to earn this opportunity?

Parole should be based on attitude and willingness to work toward rehabilitation. She has had substance abuse issues less than 2 years ago and she has not expressed remorse or admitted to her horrible crime until recently when she realized she wouldn't be let out of jail with repeated denials of parole. This is not a rehabilitated individual who does not deserve to be free raising a child. I feel so sorry for the Virk family, my heart goes out to them.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Others who have been convicted of similar or worse crimes that they committed when they were adults have been paroled. I bear in mind that she was 15 when she did a most horrible crime.
However, I don't think that she should have had an opportunity to get pregnant while in prison. Women who are pregnant at time of incarceration may be able to parent successfully for a short time in prison. An infant won't know the difference between being in a prison or not, as long as their needs are met.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What happened to that girl in Peachland who sliced her friends throat? Where is she? Did she serve 20 years in prison or was that "different"?

Having said that, I find it disqusting that Ellard was allowed to even be near a man, much less concieve an innocent baby. What the hell is going on?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I think the girl in Peachland was treated as a young offender and spent very little time behind bars. (But, I could be wrong...)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The girl convicted in the Ashlee Hyatt case was charged as a Young Offender, and served nine months in a youth facility, followed by nine months community supervision. And she was convicted of manslaughter, while Ms. Ellard's conviction was 2nd Degree Murder.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Of all the horrible stories of brutality that I have read about in my life, this one is still right there. I can't fathom what has to be wrong with a human being to be so twisted and so angry that they could end the life of another in the way Reenas life was ended.

Eventually, most prisoners will be freed from prison. Most, I think, still have issues when they are released. It has to be near impossible not to have issues living in an environment where your neighbors are as effed up as you, or worse.

This girl, in my opinion and only in my opinion, will never live a "normal" life and that she walks away from prison where she was allowed to develop a substance abuse problem and to give birth to another human being is sad beyond sad and I feel badly for her child and I feel very badly for Reenas family.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Kelly Ellard should not be allowed to walk the streets. When she was out on bail after she had been arrested for the Reena Virk murder, she assaulted an elderly woman.
She is sick. We can only hope someone takes her out now that she is not in the safety of jail.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-woman ... t-1.515513
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I do believe there comes a point where someone has served their time, even for murder. I realize that stance is softer than many who post here. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right, just stating how I feel.

This one is a Catch 22 though. This isn't a case of someone who commits a crime, serves their time, and then goes back to a normal life. Ms. Ellard has been incarcerated for her entire adult life, and some of her teen years. I cannot imagine what she would do with herself if she were to be fully released. Even if she's able to stay on the right side of the law, she'd need an incredible amount of support from her family to move ahead in life. Does she have that? Does she have a plan of any kind? I'm not saying she doesn't, but this is what I'd want to know.

Before I'd even consider her full release, I'd need to know what she's going to do with her life. I'd need to know she won't need to resort to criminality to survive. Her continued association with a criminal element (the father of her child) doesn't make me hopeful that she's turned away from that. Also, I'd need to know she's unravelled whatever drove her to such a violent act the night that Reena Virk died.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Didn’t Karla Homolka conceive a child in prison also? Both situations are so effed up when I think of these two ladies living within our community (the larger Canadian community, not literally ours here).
I realize the concept of "serving ones time" but it is difficult to rationalize with certain cases where the circumstances were more horrific and there was denial through most of the incarceration.

What’s next? Pig farmer dude getting let out?
You and 71 others Like this post
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

LANDM wrote:Didn’t Karla Homolka conceive a child in prison also? Both situations are so effed up when I think of these two ladies living within our community (the larger Canadian community, not literally ours here).
I realize the concept of "serving ones time" but it is difficult to rationalize with certain cases where the circumstances were more horrific and there was denial through most of the incarceration.

I agree completely. I also thought right away of Karla Homolka. In addition to the two girls she was convicted of murdering, she was also a participant in the death of her own sister. Now she is walking the streets.

We also have Vincent Li, who is out with the promise he will take his medication.....*bleep* is going on with the (in)justice system???
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LANDM wrote:Didn’t Karla Homolka conceive a child in prison also? Both situations are so effed up when I think of these two ladies living within our community (the larger Canadian community, not literally ours here).

got to love are soft on crime prison system, kill someone go to jail, and you can still get laid :-X :swear:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “B.C.”