Kelowna declares war on cars.

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna declares war on cars.

Post by Hmmm »

Andy S wrote:I have been a transit rider here for 13 years. I have saved so much expense over time not having a car and kept in shape from walking to/from stop. My 2 bits. North-side bypass is a given - this is what I see.

Don't forget to add the extra year , give or take of your time you spent on them that it costs you about every 10 year. . Its like people who move an hour out of town to save money and buy a cheaper home, but work in town. They spend two hours of their lives 5/6 days a week on the roads as a result.Kind of like living in West Kelowna and having to fight traffic over the bridge two times a day. You bought or rent there why?

Stupid is as stupid does.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

What I find interesting about a year ago I contact the City by email and suggested a trailer be put out at the dump near re-cycle to load all the small appliances in a effort to reduce our carbon imprint.

As I stated in my letter, they are doing a great job with their composting, recycling of wood products etc. Although I felt they could take it one step further by collecting hundreds of small appliances that turn up at the dump and transport 100's in one trip. I was told, it is not their concern as it is the Regional District who is in charge of the landfill, it is only City property.

I then sent the same letter to the Regional District and I was told it is private enterprise and not their concern.

When dropping off one item at the re-cycle location I spoke to the operator of the business and made a suggestion that a collection trailer be placed at the dump in a effort to reduce our carbon imprint. I explained to him I had contacted both City and the District as well and was told it is private enterprise. He didn't really give a crap and that was that. As he is likely being paid by the Government by the ton, obviously he doesn't care about the environment.

Well here we go, if any of you wise men / woman from the City read this, does it not make sense to have one trip for every 400 / 1000 small appliances going to the re-cycle depot instead of the Regional District garbage COPS sending 400 people to travel around trying to locate the recycle depot??

As for the City suggesting 55% of the smog in the valley a result of motor vehicles, I question that and how they came to that conclusion. I further agree with others, just how much can we burden when it comes to taxation in this Province.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

for the City suggesting 55% of the smog in the valley a result of motor vehicles, I question that and how they came to that conclusion.

I think we all know they paid some study group to make up numbers in support of more taxes.

That would be the normal way of doing things ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

***groan***

When is all this going to stop?

It started with preservationists with the likes of John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt. Then came The Sierra Club and Greenpeace and the rest that paved...sorry...showed the path... for financial reward in saving whales and seals and endangered toads and wild rivers that are essentially playgrounds for the sweaty people who have the desire and capacity to access them with their little plastic boats (made from products of the oil industry to which they likely protest). Then it moved on to more global scale fund raising to fix ozone holes and rain forests and acid rain and has now encapsulated the entire world population.

Climate Change. The Holy Grail of tax deductible wealth through cash donations.

The tax free empires that have been built on the hand wringing and brow furrowing excuses of ecological degradation is obvious yet not acknowledged by the general public media that thrive on sales from mouse clicks on stories on fires, floods, heat waves (previously known as summer), polar expresses (previously known as winter), melting ice or 2 headed dogs and a general public who think it has relevance to their lives.

So why would the all those smart people in politics and government bureaucracy miss the opportunity to get on the great pixie dust powered zero emission bandwagon.

It used to be "Public Safety" that would be be a guarantee for funding. How can you possibly be against Public Safety?

Today, you just need to label anything having to do with raising public money or spending public money with "GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE". OMG, we're saving the planet here in Kelowna donchano! How can you argue about saving the planet!?

Well people, You can. Climate change is not the issue here. And let's not tail chase ourselves into a death spin in this forum arguing the subject.

The issue here is yet more taxes, your money out of your bank account, your savings account, your kid's education funding, your retirement plans to chase an elusive mist based on real or fabricated eco-ethics that are hardly shared by the rest of the planet.

Raising taxes in Kelowna to fight the evil thermometer bending, ice cap melting, creek flooding, forest fire setting Frankenstein that the climate apparently has become is beyond pitiful.

It's an optics driven, bureaucrat career boosting, flavour of the decade excuse to stuff more money into local government for...what? A carbon capture plant? A unicorn powered transit system? Solar powered art displays? Windmill driven salmon enhancement and local polar bear habitat restoration? A mastodon sanctuary just in case someone finds one?

Get out of my pocket Kelowna and every other eco-excuse driven career government pinhead using "Climate Change" as an excuse to waste even more tax money.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Ken7 wrote:What I find interesting about a year ago I contact the City by email and suggested a trailer be put out at the dump near re-cycle to load all the small appliances in a effort to reduce our carbon imprint.

As I stated in my letter, they are doing a great job with their composting, recycling of wood products etc. Although I felt they could take it one step further by collecting hundreds of small appliances that turn up at the dump and transport 100's in one trip. I was told, it is not their concern as it is the Regional District who is in charge of the landfill, it is only City property.

I then sent the same letter to the Regional District and I was told it is private enterprise and not their concern.

When dropping off one item at the re-cycle location I spoke to the operator of the business and made a suggestion that a collection trailer be placed at the dump in a effort to reduce our carbon imprint. I explained to him I had contacted both City and the District as well and was told it is private enterprise. He didn't really give a crap and that was that. As he is likely being paid by the Government by the ton, obviously he doesn't care about the environment.

Well here we go, if any of you wise men / woman from the City read this, does it not make sense to have one trip for every 400 / 1000 small appliances going to the re-cycle depot instead of the Regional District garbage COPS sending 400 people to travel around trying to locate the recycle depot??

As for the City suggesting 55% of the smog in the valley a result of motor vehicles, I question that and how they came to that conclusion. I further agree with others, just how much can we burden when it comes to taxation in this Province.

I agree that too much ends up in the dump. Appliances in particular stand out because they have a large carbon footprint.
Despite all this, many people will see no value in used but still working appliances. The used appliance stores are filled with
perfectly good appliances sitting unsold and getting old. The thrift stores have scores of small appliances sitting unsold.
We live in a community where there is too much wealth, people can afford to chuck stuff and buy new.
The issue is that the used appliances are not wanted by the citizens of this great city so there is little point in saving them.
If it is any consolation, the appliances are high value recyclables having metals such as copper, zinc and lead which can be melted down and made into new appliances. While it is laudable to be so proactive it seems that the rest of the world does not agree with saving old stuff.
Waste not
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Grandan wrote:
Ken7 wrote:What I find interesting about a year ago I contact the City by email and suggested a trailer be put out at the dump near re-cycle to load all the small appliances in a effort to reduce our carbon imprint.

I agree that too much ends up in the dump. Appliances in particular stand out because they have a large carbon footprint.
Despite all this, many people will see no value in used but still working appliances. The used appliance stores are filled with
perfectly good appliances sitting unsold and getting old. The thrift stores have scores of small appliances sitting unsold.
We live in a community where there is too much wealth, people can afford to chuck stuff and buy new.
The issue is that the used appliances are not wanted by the citizens of this great city so there is little point in saving them.
If it is any consolation, the appliances are high value recyclables having metals such as copper, zinc and lead which can be melted down and made into new appliances. While it is laudable to be so proactive it seems that the rest of the world does not agree with saving old stuff.

Id say this is more a local issue. Go to other towns. Smaller towns. People scavenge from landfills. Most of that stuff gets taken home and fixed. It is only here i see no scavenging signs. It is only here i see bran new appliances for free cuz a new color came out.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Last edited by Because_They_Lie on Nov 30th, 2017, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:All part & parcel of The United Nations Sustainable Development goals: see #11

http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopmen ... ent-goals/

Yes no doubt this is a global con job of the greatest scale

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

If the dimbulbs at city hall actually wanted to something useful, they could actually do something instead of blowing the hot air and politically correct nonsense that was spewed out.

Potentially useful ideas:

1) Work with the province and West Kelowna to set up proper counterflow lanes and a dedicated bus lane on the bridge for rush hours. The dedicated bus lane would make transit a faster option from West Kelowna and vice versa during rush hours. It would reduce the manhours per mile and increase the number of trips per bus at the same time, thus making transit more cost effective and increase ridership as bus transit would become more of a benefit.
2) Do the same thing along the highway 97 corridor (or use Clement/Enterprise/the long panned bypass connection) to connect UBCO and the airport.
3) Stop wasting money on bicycle lanes that are almost never used.
4) Start preparing for EVs with strategically placed charging stations.
5) Improve downtown parking so that people aren't circling blocks looking for spots and unnecessarily burning up more fuel and polluting.

It doesn't take much actual thought to find things that are BOTH a benefit to residents, and result in lowering pollution. Start with the notion that things done should nbenefit people, NOT cost them tax $$$ for "greenie" pipe dreams.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
qwaylude

Post by qwaylude »

Fascism = United Nations Agenda 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzEEgtOFFlM
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:***groan***

When is all this going to stop?

It started with preservationists with the likes of John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt. Then came The Sierra Club and Greenpeace and the rest that paved...sorry...showed the path... for financial reward in saving whales and seals and endangered toads and wild rivers that are essentially playgrounds for the sweaty people who have the desire and capacity to access them with their little plastic boats (made from products of the oil industry to which they likely protest). Then it moved on to more global scale fund raising to fix ozone holes and rain forests and acid rain and has now encapsulated the entire world population.

Climate Change. The Holy Grail of tax deductible wealth through cash donations.

The tax free empires that have been built on the hand wringing and brow furrowing excuses of ecological degradation is obvious yet not acknowledged by the general public media that thrive on sales from mouse clicks on stories on fires, floods, heat waves (previously known as summer), polar expresses (previously known as winter), melting ice or 2 headed dogs and a general public who think it has relevance to their lives.

So why would the all those smart people in politics and government bureaucracy miss the opportunity to get on the great pixie dust powered zero emission bandwagon.

It used to be "Public Safety" that would be be a guarantee for funding. How can you possibly be against Public Safety?

Today, you just need to label anything having to do with raising public money or spending public money with "GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE". OMG, we're saving the planet here in Kelowna donchano! How can you argue about saving the planet!?

Well people, You can. Climate change is not the issue here. And let's not tail chase ourselves into a death spin in this forum arguing the subject.

The issue here is yet more taxes, your money out of your bank account, your savings account, your kid's education funding, your retirement plans to chase an elusive mist based on real or fabricated eco-ethics that are hardly shared by the rest of the planet.

Raising taxes in Kelowna to fight the evil thermometer bending, ice cap melting, creek flooding, forest fire setting Frankenstein that the climate apparently has become is beyond pitiful.

It's an optics driven, bureaucrat career boosting, flavour of the decade excuse to stuff more money into local government for...what? A carbon capture plant? A unicorn powered transit system? Solar powered art displays? Windmill driven salmon enhancement and local polar bear habitat restoration? A mastodon sanctuary just in case someone finds one?

Get out of my pocket Kelowna and every other eco-excuse driven career government pinhead using "Climate Change" as an excuse to waste even more tax money.

Bravo - nailed it.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Surprised we haven't had any smug alerts issued for the Okanagan yet.

http://www.mojvideo.com/embed/v/7448050c505d59fb4480
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Grandan wrote:

I agree with you, my point was why should everyone with a toaster or lamp have to drive all over Kelowna to dispose of it. Put a trailer on site so one trip will eliminate 400-1000 vehicles starting and stopping in traffic to toss the little appliance.

Return to “Central Okanagan”