Sex assault allegations

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Sex assault allegations

Post by the truth »

i am so glad to be married, i feel sorry for the younger generation now, more so for men
i can see it now ,
-a young man asks a female on a date because he likes her
- she says no
-she then thinks hey he likes me that way :200:
- she then says -- me too--just because its the in thing, and the poor young man meant no harm
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

No one has been reported to have come forward complaining because someone asked them on a date! Get real! Now if the person did not take "no" for an answer and kept asking them and stalked them...then that would be sexual harassment.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rep. Blake Farenthold, a Republican congressman from Texas just elected to his third term in Washington DC, is accused of creating a hostile work environment and sexually discriminating against Lauren Greene, his former communications director. According to a lawsuit filed by Greene last week in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia and first reported by National Law Journal, Farenthold was generally a sketchball towards her.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/texas-con ... er-staffer
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

JLives is correct. This is not a political issue. It's a human issue.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://cnn.it/2BCU8Vu

Gop congrass guy had thousands paid for hush money
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Geoffrey Rush has now been added to the list, but is it fair?

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/geo ... zxegq.html

Someone complained about alleged inappropriate behaviour on the set of King Lear but Geoffrey Rush is not allowed to know the name of the accuser or the details in the complaint. But his name and the fact that someone complained is out there. Fair? I think not.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Today I heard an actor being broadsided with a question about Matt Lauer, he said this is the day of the modern witch hunt. Women were tortured from merely an accusation and nothing more at one time. The modern version is to destroy a career and a name.

It's all become just sickening.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Queen K wrote:Today I heard an actor being broadsided with a question about Matt Lauer, he said this is the day of the modern witch hunt. Women were tortured from merely an accusation and nothing more at one time. The modern version is to destroy a career and a name.

It's all become just sickening.

This is not a witch hunt. It's a cultural change that is long overdue. This a major moment in our history. With this movement there are going to be some bad moments, this isn't going to be tidy and clean. There are going to be people who take advantage of it or push the limits. See Urbane's post above. Yes, you should be told details if you are accused of a crime. Look at Al Franken. He's being accused of grabbing butts during group photos and of taking a picture groping breasts where he's clearly not even touching her. George Bush Sr. was accused of that at as well. I don't believe either of those men are abusers. This brings up a conversation on context. What is abuse and where do we draw the line? There are millions more women yet to come forward. This is just the tip of an iceberg.
Last edited by JLives on Dec 2nd, 2017, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, some women are going to take advantage and make unfounded, false and half true claims against men who thought we all understood the rules of our hypersexualized Western culture. That's what I'm saying about taking advantage. Dont' worry, I've seen it going the other way too.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Queen K wrote:Yes, some women are going to take advantage and make unfounded, false and half true claims against men who thought we all understood the rules of our hypersexualized Western culture. That's what I'm saying about taking advantage. Dont' worry, I've seen it going the other way too.

This isn't about hypersexualized Western culture. This is a cultural issue happening worldwide. Nuns are raped. Children are raped. It's not about appearance or attractiveness. It's rooted in control, ego and the subjugation of women.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

OH I agree with control and ego. Nice girls are supposed to smile and laugh and pretend it's "funny" not get mad and tell them to stop much less get legal counsel and MAKE it stop. Want the part? Want your career to stay afloat? Want your dignity and ability to walk into a room with confidence?

By hypersexualized I don't even mean attractiveness or what people wear. I mean being bombarded with thousands of sexualized images via all forms of media. I mean the sexualization of young girls clothing. I mean the ease and ability today to saturated oneself with fantasies about what free love and sex really means in ones life.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Queen K wrote:
By hypersexualized I don't even mean attractiveness or what people wear. I mean being bombarded with thousands of sexualized images via all forms of media. I mean the sexualization of young girls clothing. I mean the ease and ability today to saturated oneself with fantasies about what free love and sex really means in ones life.

That's marketing. Making women appear as if they are objects to be consumed. And not the human beings that we are.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

JLives wrote:This is not a witch hunt. It's a cultural change that is long overdue. This a major moment in our history. With this movement there are going to be some bad moments, this isn't going to be tidy and clean. There are going to be people who take advantage of it or push the limits. See Urbane's post above. Yes, you should be told details if you are accused of a crime. Look at Al Franken. He's being accused of grabbing butts during group photos and of taking a picture groping breasts where he's clearly not even touching her. George Bush Sr. was accused of that at as well. I don't believe either of those men are abusers. This brings up a conversation on context. What is abuse and where do we draw the line? There are millions more women yet to come forward. This is just the tip of an iceberg.
That's an astute analysis. Context and the drawing of the line need to be sorted out. On the other hand, there are certainly a lot of idiots out there who are clearly crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed and they know it. They think that their position of power will allow them to cross that line with impunity and that's what's changing now. Unless these guys are huge idiots they'll get the message and remain on the right side of the line. Due process is vital though and it must be a part of this process.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Brock wants new trial

http://cnn.it/2AmAgYG
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

JLives wrote:This is not a witch hunt. It's a cultural change that is long overdue. This a major moment in our history. With this movement there are going to be some bad moments, this isn't going to be tidy and clean. There are going to be people who take advantage of it or push the limits. See Urbane's post above. Yes, you should be told details if you are accused of a crime. Look at Al Franken. He's being accused of grabbing butts during group photos and of taking a picture groping breasts where he's clearly not even touching her. George Bush Sr. was accused of that at as well. I don't believe either of those men are abusers. This brings up a conversation on context. What is abuse and where do we draw the line? There are millions more women yet to come forward. This is just the tip of an iceberg.

Just because the photo shown doesn't show Al Franken engaging in breast groping or butt grabbing, doesn't mean he didn't do it before or after the photo was taken. He clearly has done it to at least one woman and there is a picture of that. Stands to reason it may be part of a pattern of behavior. I think about 5 women have come forward with allegations thus far.
I agree that determining what is abuse and what is not can be challenging. We do not all respond or feel the same way about things that are said to us or done to us. Two people can hear the same joke, for example, and one person can laugh until they nearly pee themselves and the other can feel uncomfortable and that it was demeaning to them.
However, grabbing body parts of another person who is not your intimate partner is wrong. (And may not even be appropriate with your intimate partner, depending on their feelings and your relationship.)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Social Concerns”