Racial profiling in Saskatchewan

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Racial profiling in Saskatchewan

Post by alanjh595 »

From the link provided above:
The news release does not specify whether the employee was fired or quit.
Bring back the LIKE button.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The problem with situtions such as this one is that even armed with statistics to bear out reasons why certain things happen in certain ways is that you are immediately labeled as a racist.

The following may help to explain why this type of thing happens in Saskatchewan. Keep ion mind, these statistics are based on crimes where incarceration was the end result so we are not necessarily talking about less serious crimes such as shop lifting. It does however pose some very valid questions.

For the record, I have NO ISSUE WITH NATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so don't jump down my throat.

"In comparison to male non-natives, male treaty Indians [in Saskatchewan] were 25 times more likely to be admitted to a provincial correctional centre while nonstatus Indians or Metis were 8 times more likely to be admitted. If only the population over fifteen years of age is considered (the population eligible to be admitted to provincial correctional centres in Saskatchewan), then male treaty Indians were 37 times more likely to be admitted, while male nonstatus Indians were 12 times more likely to be admitted. For women the figures are even more extreme: a treaty Indian woman was 131 times more likely to be admitted and a non-status or Métis woman 28 times more likely than a non-native. The Saskatchewan study brings home the implications of its findings by indicating that a treaty Indian boy turning 16 in 1976 had a 70% chance of at least one stay in prison by the age of 25 (that age range being the one with the highest risk of imprisonment). The corresponding figure for non-status or Métis was 34%. For a non-native Saskatchewan boy the figure was 8%."

Source usask.ca
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

maryjane48 wrote:So ken your saying if cop see a first nation he she is automaticly to be suspected of a crime ? Im little lost on what exactly you mean so clearity on your part would help clear up your statement profiling works :smt045

If a location observes a particular race committing a disproportionately high amount of crimes, then statistically, observing them more closely would make sense. That does not mean that you suspect them all to commit crimes, but eases catching the ones that do.

The reason that it doesn't work is because you may miss the ones that commit crimes that do not fit within your profile.

But it's not true at all that profiling, racially or behaviorally, means that you suspect those groups to commit crimes. Literally the only person who said that is you.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

mexi cali wrote:
I agree that behavioral profiling is or can be, in the hands of the right people, a very effective tool but it is sophisticated and in many instances, is not practical because of its sophistication.

As for the comment about the hat, TIC my friend.

As they say a little knowledge is dangerous, as we see on this site. A 2 day course such as BST 1 or BST 2, doesn't truly give you the ability or true understanding to use such training.

Someone posted here and made some very good points on what a well trained security officer would watch for. These being true we do not know all of what occurred, only the side of this complainant.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

I think the problem is that again people are making assumptions based on a video...its like looking at the world through a drinking straw, you miss everything else.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Ken7 wrote:
As they say a little knowledge is dangerous, as we see on this site. A 2 day course such as BST 1 or BST 2, doesn't truly give you the ability or true understanding to use such training.

Someone posted here and made some very good points on what a well trained security officer would watch for. These being true we do not know all of what occurred, only the side of this complainant.

Now granted, BST 1 and 2 hasn't been around in years - it used to be 40 hours shared between theory and force response options. Now, it's essentially just BST which is 40 hours of theory with an optional second course, AST, that is 24 hours of force response options.

All that being said, you're right in that the minimum training alone doesn't qualify someone to be able to really become an expert in anything. That takes more advanced training and experience.

One of the security operations I used to manage was a high profile facility in the Lower Mainland that saw tens of thousands of people passing through daily. In that example, we worked very closely with public and private experts in counter terrorism to deliver specific training to our security force.

That's definitely not to say that everyone has similar or additional training, but we're moving into a time where a lot of the people who should have advanced training are receiving it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Chyren wrote:I think the problem is that again people are making assumptions based on a video...its like looking at the world through a drinking straw, you miss everything else.

There is a lot of assuming in this group. We also have mind readers here and I wonder, anyone got taro cards they read too..it just amazes me!

Return to “Canada”