Trudeau fails in Chinese trade talks - gets plain socks

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Trudeau fails in Chinese trade talks - gets plain socks

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 5th, 2017, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Ken7 wrote:I think while he is there he should go visit Korea and maybe give him a hug. I'm sure once he does that the weapons of mass destruction will be dismantlement and we can all were happy socks!

Seriously? "Weapons of mass destruction"? Ask yourself, why would N Korea want to start a war with North America or Europe or even Eastern Europe or Asia for that matter? The leader of North Korea is only marginally smarter and egotistical than the leader of the United States. You are buying into the "weapons of mass destruction" rhetoric much that same as the idiots that bought into it 20 years ago. Facts of recent warmonging are readily available on the internet for anyone who wants to educate themselves.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

BONOKOSKI: Trudeau’s trade deal with China turns into an embarrassment

Mark Bonokoski
Published:
December 4, 2017

The big buildup, the anticipation and then … nothing.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should have stayed in bed, colloquially speaking, and spared taxpayers the expense of yet another high-end jaunt to Beijing with a cadre of cabinet ministers and bureaucrats.

Or are we to believe Trudeau was tricked by China and led to assume before boarding his flight that great inroads would be made into a bilateral free trade agreement between his democracy and its dictatorship?

He sure made it appear that way, having suddenly inserted China into his schedule as if Canada was about to make history as the first G7 country to strike a two-way deal with the Red Dragon.

In the end, however, he got bitten instead.

And his disappointment showed.

Sixteen hours in the air — one way — and nothing as payoff other than jet lag and a fancy hotel room stay.

Following Monday’s meeting with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in the Great Hall of the People overlooking Tiananmen Square, it was obvious the two leaders had not agreed on much during their extended private meeting.

snip

It is almost impossible to believe that Trudeau would travel such great distance, with the parliamentary press gallery in steerage, without being assured that free-trade negotiations with China would officially be launched.

So, someone must have set him up — whether one of his own people or someone within the Chinese bureaucracy.

There is no other conclusion to be drawn considering the non-outcome of the trip, other than to suggest Trudeau can’t be that naïve or that dumb.

It’s a wonder he didn’t cry.

http://calgarysun.com/opinion/columnist ... f9d014af21
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

pepecat wrote:
Ken7 wrote:I think while he is there he should go visit Korea and maybe give him a hug. I'm sure once he does that the weapons of mass destruction will be dismantlement and we can all were happy socks!

Trudeau is adamant about workers' rights. He made it clear that Canada is not going into trade agreements without some sort of confirmation that workers' rights of protection and fairness will be upheld. China is not ready to let go of their system of hierarchy yet. They like the cheap labour.

Trudeau is admired throughout the world for his empathy and forward-thinking. You should travel outside of Kelowna sometime and hear what the rest of the world is saying about Canada. You would feel proud.

Trudeau is ridiculed throughout the world for his goofiness and his hair. You should travel outside of Kelowna sometime and hear what the rest of the world is saying about Canada. You would feel ashamed.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Is there any chance China just proved to him who is boss. They proved that they aren't worried about trade with Canada and that if it ever does happen it will be on their terms and definitely not Trudeau's demands. I wonder if Trudeau has any idea what just happened.

As a side I have said in other threads my son has told me numerous times that their company has attempted hacks by the Chinese millions of times in just hours all day, every day, trying to get trade secrets. They are positive it is the Chinese government involved. It started in earnest when they started working with the US navy. I fully realize that governments do that but do we really want to trust someone that is that serious about it? Would anything they sign really mean anything?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It occured to me that maybe that's why Trump is war mongering over NK, trying to draw China in and create a reversal of sorts for all of N.America. America has huge debts to China, is rocking the NAFTA boat and China knows that Canadians think, "that's okay, we'll sell to the Asians, China chiefly. Only where else is there to go if we dont' agree to everyone else's terms, South and East? Trudeau just apologized to the LGBQT community for human rights abuses, where does China stand on LGBQT? Oh, and bringing up other human rights?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

this made me laugh:

A Chinese foreign ministry official berated a diplomat from the Canadian embassy for not bringing the passports of the reporters travelling with Trudeau. The diplomat fired back at him in what was clearly an angry exchange.

Afterwards, the Chinese side cancelled a planned press conference, Trudeau’s office said.

Where are all the people who were screaming with joy that Canada is now "respected again" in the world? Sounds like JT is running our international reputation straight into the ground.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I thought that China would respect a child king? They have had them in their history as well.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

JagXKR wrote:I thought that China would respect a child king? They have had them in their history as well.

How old is Scheer next to Trudeau?

You know 5 of the 6 youngest elected prime ministers were conservatives right?
Remember about glass houses before you have to defend all the “just not ready. Too young to lead” remarks about Scheer at election time.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
How old is Scheer next to Trudeau?

Who cares? This isn't about age, it's about maturity, and brains. Both of which JT seems to be lacking in spades.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 5th, 2017, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

pepecat wrote:Trudeau is adamant about workers' rights. He made it clear that Canada is not going into trade agreements without some sort of confirmation that workers' rights of protection and fairness will be upheld. China is not ready to let go of their system of hierarchy yet. They like the cheap labour.

Trudeau is admired throughout the world for his empathy and forward-thinking. You should travel outside of Kelowna sometime and hear what the rest of the world is saying about Canada. You would feel proud.

I'm happy for you, you apparently read the same paper as I and also watched the local and National news.

IF you think it is all about Trudeau being our current Pm, I'd suggest those who you have spoken to don't know him well.

Canada on the other hand was always looked at by other countries as a great place. I will always be proud to be Canadian, but can't stand behind this Pm. Sorry, there will be nothing you or any other Liberal follower will say to change my view, Trudeau sadly is not a leader. You may one day come to that realization.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Don't mistake "boss" for leader. I get that some of the old school are used to the idea that a "leader" should be the "boss".

As far as a trade deal with China goes, pretty tough to negotiate a balance with China. Free trade deals with low wage countries are suspect to start with, and a big player like China will most likely want a lopsided deal.

As far as not getting one done?:

Never go into a negotiation you aren't prepared to walk away from. If you do, then you are not negotiating, you are accepting the other party's terms.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Rider59 wrote:
Trudeau is ridiculed throughout the world for his goofiness and his hair. You should travel outside of Kelowna sometime and hear what the rest of the world is saying about Canada. You would feel ashamed.

Actually I travel often out of Canada. Just recently to the UK and not long ago a road trip to the USA. When people hear I am visiting from Canada, they are always welcoming. This has been true for all of my travels throughout the years -- to Spain, France, Greece, all over the UK, a few Caribbean countries (Belize, Jamaica, Costa Rica). Quite a few American states -- the west coast, Hawaii a couple of times, mid-west road trip to Chicago.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim that i sit around and talk politics at any of these places. But I have never been led to think that I should be ashamed, no matter who has been leading our country at the time. Canadians are admired and envied. Trudeau has not given Canadians anything to be ashamed about. It's sad that you feel that his hair and goofiness is embarrassing.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

pepecat wrote:Actually I travel often out of Canada. Just recently to the UK and not long ago a road trip to the USA. When people hear I am visiting from Canada, they are always welcoming. This has been true for all of my travels throughout the years -- to Spain, France, Greece, all over the UK, a few Caribbean countries (Belize, Jamaica, Costa Rica). Quite a few American states -- the west coast, Hawaii a couple of times, mid-west road trip to Chicago.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim that i sit around and talk politics at any of these places. But I have never been led to think that I should be ashamed, no matter who has been leading our country at the time. Canadians are admired and envied. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the current government. Been that way for decades.Trudeau has not given Canadians anything to be ashamed about. It's sad that you feel that his hair and goofiness is embarrassing. Why don't you find it embarrassing? Maybe you're used to it but I'm not OK being embarrassed by others?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

Return to “Canada”