Glenmore Four Laning not Planned...

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Glenmore Four Laning not Planned...

Post by Urban Cowboy »

LTD wrote:just out of curiosity how many of the experts on here have applied for a job at the cities planning dept?

They have a planning department?

You wouldn't really know it given a lot of the shortcomings within their area.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^^^ [icon_lol2.gif] ^^^^^^ :up:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

LTD wrote:just out of curiosity how many of the experts on here have applied for a job at the cities planning dept?

Not the planning dept. but the Eng. dept. I have worked closely with multiple city planners in the past. I know enough to sit back and LMAO at the ignorant amateur comments posted here.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Glenmore

Post by dle »

KreativeSynergy wrote:
KreativeSynergy wrote:As a resident of North Kelowna/ Lake Country I find the lack of attention to Glenmore Road appalling. I am appalled at reading today that there are NO plans to improve the road, not even a study scheduled. Meanwhile they allow hundreds more houses onto the road area which will stop the flow even further. By the next tourist season, It might be faster to walk that road, let along what happens to the highway intersection at Beaver Lake and Hwy 97 over the summer. Residents and people majorly affected by the road might need to protest in a very public manner.. The problems are only going to get worse and the city is very much in favor of development of many of the single lane sections of Glenmore. This may need to have a visual protest. I think of what happens when there is an accident on the Highway.. it takes people hours to get home because they have to go around. I bet public focus on the issue may be the only way to bring attention to an issue that affects the safety and health of residents of both communities.

Please keep in Mind that Kelowna extended their zone to Beaver Lake Road encompassing the Trailer Parks and the Industry.. so high density residential and industry. So technically I believe most of the upgrade would be in Kelowna Proper. Kelowna decided that all the industry in Winfield was to be part of Kelowna. They have reaped the benefit of taxes for many years.. why not also service those businesses with better transportation routes.

I was thinking that was the case as well but wasn't sure how far out the "boundary" went.....
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 5th, 2017, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Old Techie wrote:From where I sit Grandan seems to possess the typical Kelowna attitude of if it's not in our best interests then screw Lake Country.

Apparently the gridlock on Glenmore is Lake Country's problem as they feel it's all our residents using the road.

I guess some need a refresher in where exactly the City of Kelowna boundaries are located, as in they include a number of areas that are being highly developed currently such as McKinley Beach, and another going in toward Finch Road, at least half of which lies within Kelowna City limits.

Let's also not take into consideration the fact that the Industrial area out here, lies about 80% within Kelowna City limits also, (just one more example of Kelowna's greed and self serving attitude) and is responsible for much of the commercial traffic on Glenmore Road, all those UPS trucks as but one small example.

Contrary to what they think Kelowna is responsible for addressing the needs of that road, not to mention it's safety, which most of the winter is dicey at best, due to it's topography and lack of sun on many of the dangerous curves, making for a great black ice recipe.

I feel it comes down to a simple matter of misplaced priorities, given that Kelowna has no problem coming up with millions upon millions to purchase beachfront properties along the lakeshore, yet has no plans to even look at something like Glenmore Road and its challenges.

I guess what many say about the Mission getting preferential treatment is true.

Unlike the many other examples, of poor, or non existent, planning on City of Kelowna's part, Glenmore should be looked at now, while land and other issues pertaining to four lane expansion, are still reasonably affordable, as opposed to waiting until everything is developed and then facing the associated challenges and costs.

Too bad their history shows that Kelowna is incapable of such foresight, and would rather cater to the whims of the lakefront privileged class.

Kelowna has enough of it's own problems without needed to solve the problems created by other surrounding communities.
I say that way too much emphasis has been given to the Mission roads, lakeshore property aquisitions and parks.
I have been around long enough to know that John Hindle Drive was designated to be built by 2013 but was removed from the plan in later iterations of the OCP. This connector would have relieved a huge amount of congestion at Sexsmith and Hwy 97 as well as congestion on Glenmore Road. It will soon be built and I am sure it will have a positive affect on traffic flow.

I am well aware of the north boundary of Kelowna and also recognize that there is no development between McKinley and Lake Country. It is all large rural holdings with sparse population.
The way that Kelowna builds roads is to demand road widenings and road construction of the benefiting landowners. That is why there is a hodge podge of finished and unfinished boulevards, road widenings and sidewalks throughout the city.
Roads and their associated underground utilities are expensive.
To place all of this cost on the general population for the benefit of just a few property owners is unacceptable. That is why if you develop you pay DCC's and you pay for all the local improvements needed to the road in front of your property.
There is no way I am going to be paying so someone else can develop. Call that self serving if you wish, I call it fair.
What I do have a problem with is which areas are selected for improvement using global assets generated from the Kelowna taxpayers such as the fancy streetscape on Ethyl.
I am not out to screw the residents of Lake Country but those residents need to take a little personal responsibility for their
decision to move to an outlying community and then expect that their route into their work or entertainment will be smooth. It is not my responsibility as a taxpayer to ensure that the residents of Lake Country have a nice and easy drive into the city.
Waste not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Grandan wrote:I am not out to screw the residents of Lake Country but those residents need to take a little personal responsibility for their
decision to move to an outlying community and then expect that their route into their work or entertainment will be smooth. It is not my responsibility as a taxpayer to ensure that the residents of Lake Country have a nice and easy drive into the city.

And again I'll point out that Kelowna rakes in taxes from an industrial area that lies within their boundary, yet associated traffic you view as a Lake Country problem.

Perhaps you don't feel like you are out to screw Lake Country residents but Kelowna certainly is.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

spooker wrote:While everyone is stuck in self-generated congestion I'll be pedalling by on the new cycling bypass next spring ...

In 2010 they told us they were going to widen the shoulders along Glenmore to extend the bike lanes past McKinley Landing but then the project just got dropped and when we asked about it they said they needed to divert the money to other roadways ...

The new bridge, the highway widening ... it showed that the congestion doesn't go away ... if you get Glenmore widened it would cause headaches for however long during construction, then maybe a few months of reprieve, then it'd be back to congestion as normal ...

If it's most important for you to live out in Lake Country then go ahead and live out there ... but understand what you're getting into and don't bring your entitled :cuss: back here and complain that you aren't getting everything you asked for because you're getting exactly what you asked for ... the writing is on the wall ... we have to be literate to read it and wise enough to make better choices for society and not just for the individual ...

Which will be great if you happen to be going in that direction! Enjoy! We have a few cycle paths but not very many...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote:I am not out to screw the residents of Lake Country but those residents need to take a little personal responsibility for their

Old Techie wrote:And again I'll point out that Kelowna rakes in taxes from an industrial area that lies within their boundary, yet associated traffic you view as a Lake Country problem.

Perhaps you don't feel like you are out to screw Lake Country residents but Kelowna certainly is.

The money that builds road and other infrastucture comes from developers in the form of DCC's.
Thanks to Wilden I can drive across the top of Glenmore Highlands to get to Clifton at a cost of 8 million to developer and my taxes did not pay a dime to construct it although I will be paying to plow the snowthat falls on it.
There is a very modest fund to put toward road building every year, taxes are siphoned off to pay for sewer and water maintenance, the landfill and wages for hundreds of employees and equipment. Often the money for roads is leveraged using provincial and federal grants ie. John Hindle Drive, Glenmore Bypass and other projects around the city.
The city of Kelowna is finally getting the Dept of Hwys to widen Hwy 97,this comes out of our provincial taxes.
There is no way there is even a smidgen of tax money coming from the industrial area that could pay for the cost of the road improvements demanded for Glenmore Road.
Perhaps you see Glenmore Road as a choked up mess but that is true but for only a few hours per day as it is clear sailing during off hours.
When the time comes, the Dept of Hwys will need to widen Hwy 97 to the airport and UBCO. If the COK widens Glenmore Road then Hwys will be able to stall on the widening of Hwy 97.
So you know there is some gamesmanship involved.
The widening is taking place in the areas of highest demand and I think we can both agree that Sexsmith Road and Hwy 97 has been a bottleneck for years.
Numerous times when Hwy 97 is shut down the traffic has been diverted to Sexsmith, Valley Road N and then onto Glenmore Rd. and that's what I call a problem. Gridlock like I've never seen before. John Hindle Drive Cannot come fast enough for me.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”