Traffic Lights

Home of the traffic rant.
spooker

Re: Traffic Lights

Post by spooker »

dodgerdodge wrote:What are you talking about? Cambro Rd has nothing to do with it. Look at my post again and drive the highway, you will see. There is a new set of lights on Highway 97 before you reach Sexsmith intersection. It is in the new section being widened.

Had to go back to the display boards but finally realized that they've added a set of lights at Findlay Rd as you said. With the way things are being built up around that intersection I can see why they needed that. Trying to make a left after going to the self storage out there was dangerous (did that many years ago) ...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/driving-and-transportation/transportation-infrastructure/projects/okanagan-valley-corridor/hwy33-edwards/615355-hwy_97_hwy_33_to_edwards_rd_display_boards_add_one_lane-roll3_pd.pdf
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If they want to save the environment, they would stop ADDING traffic lights to the highways. For example, the latest 4-laning of highway 1 on the west side of Salmon Arm is adding 2 traffic lights where there are none right now!

Here's an idea, leave the highway at 2 lanes until you have the money to do the highway upgrade properly.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Glacier wrote:If they want to save the environment, they would stop ADDING traffic lights to the highways. For example, the latest 4-laning of highway 1 on the west side of Salmon Arm is adding 2 traffic lights where there are none right now!

Here's an idea, leave the highway at 2 lanes until you have the money to do the highway upgrade properly.

Exactly, for every set of lights added traffic flow is interrupted and during rush hour this represents long line ups. We will probably see the line ups looking shorter than now but only because we have 3 lanes of traffic lined up instead of 2.
Look at the ridiculous line ups during summer through Peachland since they added the extra lights on the highway which still remains 2 lanes only.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TylerM4 wrote:Funny. You've gone from timing the lights "light waves" to "camera and sensors".

What are you going on about? How do you think many "light waves" function? :132:
TylerM4 wrote:It's OK to admit to a mistake.

Ummm, no mistake was made - other than your interpretation of my post. M'kay?
TylerM4 wrote:But you still don't appear to get it.

Oh, I do get it - but thanks. :up:

I'm off to Phoenix tomorrow, too bad it won't be running yet. Guess I'll see sometime next year.

If its the same "technology" Kelowna has on their "Green Wave" on Springfield, well then PHX is :cuss: :laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I think that all the cameras should detect speeding drivers and automatically change the next light tor red.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

alanjh595 wrote:I think that all the cameras should detect speeding drivers and automatically change the next light tor red.

Ya, and then you give a green light to the speeder going the other way through the intersection?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595 wrote:I think that all the cameras should detect speeding drivers and automatically change the next light tor red.

Glacier wrote:Ya, and then you give a green light to the speeder going the other way through the intersection?

He would have already been sitting and waiting for the light to change in his favour anyways.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

alanjh595 wrote:He would have already been sitting and waiting for the light to change in his favour anyways.

Depends if he times it right. If he manages to time it right so that the speeder heading north triggers the red light 10 seconds before he arrives from the east, he gets a green light, and sails through at 160km/h no problem, then over the bridge getting the most massive epic air over the hump of the bridge.
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:He would have already been sitting and waiting for the light to change in his favour anyways.

Depends if he times it right. If he manages to time it right so that the speeder heading north triggers the red light 10 seconds before he arrives from the east, he gets a green light, and sails through at 160km/h no problem, then over the bridge getting the most massive epic air over the hump of the bridge.

:spitcoffee: Okay, I concede :laugh: Glacier for the win. :130: I can't beat that, good job. :hailjo:
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

lights are timed perfect if youre going about 80k
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

averagejoe wrote:In the late 1970's, Vancouver's Kingsway lights were co-ordinated that if you drove at 29 mph you would hit all the lights green.

Yes, that was in Burnaby, they even had small signs below the lights stating that.

The "joke" then was, 29 mph worked and so did 58 mph :D

In many locations the traffic patterns are much more sophisticated than we give them credit for. The timing of lights can vary from time of day to day of the week (ie weedends).

In some areas, traffic engineers want traffic to stop, to allow for other traffic beyond the intersection to be able to cross or enter the roadway, it's call "platooning"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:Even at 2 am, I have to come to a stop multiple times while making my way through town coming home from the coast. I have to stop on hiway 97 in West Kelowna just because someone is turning left. Big deal, right? It's not environmentally friendly to have 45 tons coming to a complete stop, and then accelerating that 45 tons just to come to a complete stop in another 2 lights because another vehicle is turning left. Why the bleep are we having to have left turn lights that causes oncoming opposite traffic come to a stop? Are people so useless they can't even make a left turn without the help of a turn light? It burns a lot of fuel to accelerate 45 tons back up to speed...not cool.

Perhaps, a simple fix would be to put the "advance left turn" lights on a timer? Say, between 7am-7PM.....? Just a suggestion.
spooker

Post by spooker »

alanjh595 wrote:Perhaps, a simple fix would be to put the "advance left turn" lights on a timer? Say, between 7am-7PM.....? Just a suggestion.

Actually I think I noticed at Leckie that they do turn off the advance left signal during rush hour ... took almost 20 minutes to make a left turn off Harvey to go south on Leckie after 5pm on a Tuesday ...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

This set of Lights need to be removed permanently (leave the right turn off & on). UBCO traffic can take a short drive north to Airport Way and use that traffic light.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unive ... 11g5_sj8f2
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 10:08 am Bumped up

This set of Lights need to be removed permanently (leave the right turn off & on). UBCO traffic can take a short drive north to Airport Way and use that traffic light.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unive ... 11g5_sj8f2
I totally agree! Often when I come back to Vernon from Kelowna I take Glenmore and then go over to UBCO via John Hindle Dr. and I never come out at this intersection, I continue on to the airport intersection.

It's just a dick move to go and trigger the light for traffic when you can spend two more seconds going up to the airport intersection. And I don't even think it's longer to do that. This light has no business being here.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”