BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agree?

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Post by Because_They_Lie »

alanjh595 wrote:Placed right in the middle of a circle of 4 hotels within a direct view. There goes 25% of room sales for each and everyone of those tourist accommodation suites. What tourist would return to such a view while visiting "Beautiful British Columbia" and you can be sure that they will not recommend these hotels to their friends. This location will kill these hotels' business.

Greed. Juuuuuuuuust Greeeedy!

Makes me ill
Last edited by Because_They_Lie on Dec 1st, 2017, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

bjsilent wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Placed right in the middle of a circle of 4 hotels within a direct view. There goes 25% of room sales for each and everyone of those tourist accommodation suites. What tourist would return to such a view while visiting "Beautiful British Columbia" and you can be sure that they will not recommend these hotels to their friends. This location will kill these hotels' business.

Hence why the Prestige on Harvey suffers,imagine waking up in the morning and drawing the curtains back just to see the back side of the Homeless Shelter and homeless/transients loitering around.

The lepers! God forbid you get any on ya!
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Anonymous123 wrote:Vacant lot behind the Audi dealer and Speedpro Signs.

Well, technically, it's behind SkyWay Centre where Speedpro Signs is located and right next to a two-storey commercial strata office building that houses, among other businesses, the Commercial Property & Strata Management Division of Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty, Manulife Securities financial advisory business, ClaimsPro insurance claims adjuster business and a construction management business. Across the street is LisJen Retail Supplies and it is "kitty corner" to Pro Oil Change, BlueTail Sushi, Rayacom Media and Anytime Fitness.

It's a fantastic location! :)

Cheers,
Doug

Edit:

I have also placed this image into the public domain effective immediately.
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

Location is also 300ft away from a liquor store.
One can always reason with reason.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:Vacant lot behind the Audi dealer and Speedpro Signs.

forumdoug wrote:Well, technically, it's behind SkyWay Centre where Speedpro Signs is located and right next to a two-storey commercial strata office building that houses, among other businesses, the Commercial Property & Strata Management Division of Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty, Manulife Securities financial advisory business, ClaimsPro insurance claims adjuster business and a construction management business. Across the street is LisJen Retail Supplies and it is "kitty corner" to Pro Oil Change, BlueTail Sushi, Rayacom Media and Anytime Fitness.

It's a fantastic location! :)

Cheers,
Doug

Edit:

I have also placed this image into the public domain effective immediately.

Yup. Behind Speedpro and the Audi dealer. It also backs onto the back lot of Western RV.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

One can always reason with reason.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well this story gets better all the time, just an other example of how the over educated morons in charge of the homeless know nothing, i will take that back,they are great at getting nothing done
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Andy S wrote:This was going to happen > http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/kelo ... velopment/

As it rightly should. If the facts are correct, and they certainly appear to be - the city has subjugated it's own development rules and requirements and are not following the proper application processes that any citizen or corporate business is required to follow. They should be held accountable - if at least to the same standards they expect everyone else to follow.

This whole concept and situation frankly stinks. Businesses in addition to general areas of town are now being grossly affected in a negative manner with this homeless explosion now being forceably dropped in their midst without the least consultation or impact study consideration - and nothing but bending to their every whim is being accomplished. The inmates are running the asylum.

At this rate, Kelowna will have "pods" of homeless ghetto portables spread throughout the city - and all with their own "inclusive" bathrooms. Welcome to the beautiful Okanagan Favelas.

favela.jpg

And to think - some people are worried about high-end highrises blocking a portion of their mountainview. Hold on to your hats folks - things could look incredibly different here in another 5 years - and not in the way most think.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

WalterWhite wrote:
Andy S wrote:This was going to happen > http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/kelo ... velopment/

As it rightly should. If the facts are correct, and they certainly appear to be - the city has subjugated it's own development rules and requirements and are not following the proper application processes that any citizen or corporate business is required to follow. They should be held accountable - if at least to the same standards they expect everyone else to follow.

This whole concept and situation frankly stinks. Businesses in addition to general areas of town are now being grossly affected in a negative manner with this homeless explosion now being forceably dropped in their midst without the least consultation or impact study consideration - and nothing but bending to their every whim is being accomplished. The inmates are running the asylum.

At this rate, Kelowna will have "pods" of homeless ghetto portables spread throughout the city - and all with their own "inclusive" bathrooms. Welcome to the beautiful Okanagan Favelas.

favela.jpg

And to think - some people are worried about high-end highrises blocking a portion of their mountainview. Hold on to your hats folks - things could look incredibly different here in another 5 years - and not in the way most think.

Where do you suggest Walter White, that homeless human beings should live?
jcow84

Post by jcow84 »

Andy S wrote:Location is also 300ft away from a liquor store.

Every location in Kelowna is about 300 ft away from a liquor store.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Supportive housing pushback

Toni Gaspari, one of the developers of the Mill Creek Commerce Park, says nearby business owners are upset they weren’t consulted about the project before plans were put in place.

He said most didn’t have any idea the project was happening until media organizations began asking them to weigh in on it.

“We were actually shocked that we hadn’t received any notice from the city of Kelowna. There’s no signs posted, nobody’s called… So it was an unusual thing, for sure,” he said.

Gaspari said it’s not the project’s aim that business have an issue with, but how it is being executed.

“All our surrounding neighbours here are quite happy about (the space being used for supportive housing). We don’t mind the use, and we welcome these people here into our neighbourhood,” Gaspari said. “Our main issue is just how this thing is being handled.”

Gaspari said many are worried the spartan, repurposed modular units that will make up the development won’t fit the form and character of the surrounding area.

“Can you imagine having old construction trailers… stacked on top of each other in a long row in your backyard? I don’t think they’re doing anybody any good,” he said.

https://okanaganedge.net/2017/12/06/sup ... -pushback/
Bring back the LIKE button.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WalterWhite wrote:

favela.jpg

Because_They_Lie wrote:Where do you suggest Walter White, that homeless human beings should live?

Did you read the article or comprehend some of the comments these business owners mentioned? This is not about where they should or should not live - but in how our city/elected officials are forging ahead in attempts to try and deal with it at the cost of businesses, livelihoods and peoples established presence. Obviously, if it were an easy fix, this situation wouldn't exist. However, for our city/elected officials to subvert their own bylaws and due process any other development must abide by is straight up wrong and they should be taken to task over it.

Quite frankly, the idea of dropping a bunch of Britco trailers into an established commercial business district is one of the more lame duck ideas put towards the homeless situation I've heard in recent memory, but considering those at the helm of making these decisions, I'm not surprised in the least. I will also add that I will be highly surprised if legal action is not taken if this forced homeless encampment is to be brought to fruition - and i highly doubt the homeless community will be contributing to their legal defense - it will be those that have jobs and pay taxes that creates the funds for the city to defend itself from these absurd plans put in motion before any rational thought is considered.

To answer your original question - I have no idea. I wish I did. However one thing I know wouldn't be put on the table, is forcing a homeless encampment into an area where corporate tax dollars are generated - without first consulting with those businesses - let alone subverting the development process everyone else must abide by.

What's your solution to the problem?
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Transitional housing is allowed in the zone. This is not a rezoning. There are no variances being considered. Therefore there is actually no requirement for public notification or consultation according to the Local Government Act and according to City Bylaws.

BC Housing has announced millions of dollars in financing for emergency shelter and transitional housing in BC for the first time in many years. The communities that act first will get the funding. To delay this project and allow for consultation that is not required would mean this emergency shelter would not happen this winter (when people need it most). It may also mean Kelowna loses the funding all together.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

TMBOkanagan wrote:Transitional housing is allowed in the zone. This is not a rezoning. There are no variances being considered. Therefore there is actually no requirement for public notification or consultation according to the Local Government Act and according to City Bylaws.

BC Housing has announced millions of dollars in financing for emergency shelter and transitional housing in BC for the first time in many years. The communities that act first will get the funding. To delay this project and allow for consultation that is not required would mean this emergency shelter would not happen this winter (when people need it most). It may also mean Kelowna loses the funding all together.

We need to house these people not shelter them. I do not understand why there is not a program pairing individuals who want to help with those who need it. The province could cut a check to folks who take people in. A little life coaching could really help some people.

I realize many are too far gone to help . Those ones would remain in shelters i suppose.

All in. I think a program that paired the willing with the needy and had government grease a few palms. I think it has a chance at success
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

I happen to work in the area and I agree with this poster because I have to deal with the homeless in the area daily. They come on to our property everyday and dig through the garbage and make a mess. I am picking up dirty needles every other day and they trespass regardless of how many warnings they are given. How short sighted and stupid can the city be? Have you driven down Commerce in the summer and seen the homeless gather on the side of the road across from the oil change place? There are sometimes dozens of them and the refuse is piled up around them! Why would you put up homeless housing 50 yards from the best priced beer and wine store in town! Not to mention the drug den just across hey 97 also a stones throw away! Boy that sounds like it is really going to help the homeless turn their lives around! I will be photographing and documenting the rise in crime, refuse and needles that will surely come to our business and perhaps Castanet will publish them but I doubt it. Looks like the city might have a class action lawsuit in their not to distant future. Since you are so sure that this will be an upstanding crowd being housed why not let them move into your neighborhood?

Return to “Central Okanagan”