For women only

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: For women only

Post by fvkasm2x »

I love that most people use words like patronizing or condescending when telling people what "mansplaining" is... as if women are never those things.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Unfortunately, we don't know what he was saying, or doing that was labled "mansplaining", but if that's what he was doing (I wouldn't be surprised given what we saw and heard here), then mansplaining is what it is. If someone wants to coin another term for a woman doing the same thing, why not? Mansplaining, and womansplaining is not the same. Of course, this particular man doesn't like having his behavior pointed out, so he tries to make it about her to distract from her point. He can't even see (or won't admit to ) his own behavior.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Mansplaining, and womansplaining is not the same.

I really don't know the difference, can you please enlighten me?

Can you also explain this to me:

If I talk to a woman in a certain way, it can be dubbed "mansplaining." So what is it, when I speak the exact same way about the exact same thing to another man?

I'm honestly asking...
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I don't know if there is a special term for that. The english language is always evolving with new terminology, I didn't even know that "mansplaining" had reached that level of usage yet. "womansplaining" has not (I don't believe), but doesn't mean that it can't or won't in future. I doubt that "mansplaining" is used when a man speaks a certain way toward a man. Maybe you can tell us what that would be called, since being male (I believe) you would know better than I.

Difference between mansplaining and womansplaining:

" womansplainingwww.huffingtonpost.com
The word "mansplaining" originally had a useful meaning. It was supposed to refer to those times when a man tried to dismiss or deny a woman's experience by pretending it didn't happen, or that she was exaggerating, or over-reacting.

So, logically, in case you hadn't guessed, just substitute woman for man (he and she) in whatever definition you choose. Really surprising that you didn't think of that. Of course common usage can also change the meaning of a word. which is why "fat chance" and a "slim chance" seem to mean about the same thing.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Silverstarqueen wrote: I doubt that "mansplaining" is used when a man speaks a certain way toward a man. Maybe you can tell us what that would be called, since being male (I believe) you would know better than I.

I guess my point would be, I've been talked down to by other men. By women. By snotty teenagers who think they know everything. I do it myself to all sorts of people.

I don't really understand the concept. If I talk a certain way to a man or a kid, it's just being arrogant or holier than thou, or whatever u want to call the attitude... but if I do it to a woman it's sexist?

I really have no idea what mansplaining is. It seems made up.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Many terms in english were initially "made up " by someone. The thing that makes it a word is usage. If a term becomes commonly used, sooner or later it becomes part of the language. This process has nothing to do with sexism vs. political correctness. Also words can gradually pass out of usage, and will eventually be struck from whatever dictionaries the language experts are using, or the word will remain in the dictionary, but be labeled "archaic". This process usually takes much longer than it takes for a word to come into common usage. I am not even sure that "mansplaining" is in common usage yet, but most people know what it is by now, and it is I think, being used more often. It's not based on logic, it's based on usage.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

In honor of the women of America, on their Independence Day: https://www.facebook.com/amightygirl/ph ... =3&theater
Alexa1994

Post by Alexa1994 »

fvkasm2x wrote:I love that most people use words like patronizing or condescending when telling people what "mansplaining" is... as if women are never those things.

hahah Women power :D
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Alexa1994 wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:I love that most people use words like patronizing or condescending when telling people what "mansplaining" is... as if women are never those things.

You've taken a quote from a person who claims they "really have no idea what "mansplaining " is.
And, no one suggested women never are those things, but that would not be called mansplaining (obviously) because the "man" part implies a man did it (in speaking to a woman).
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Silverstarqueen wrote:And, no one suggested women never are those things, but that would not be called mansplaining (obviously) because the "man" part implies a man did it (in speaking to a woman).

If a woman does it, then there's no such thing as the word.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Sure there is, call it "womansplaining" if it makes you happy.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Mommy?

Yes Baby-girl?

What's that terrible whining noise?

Oh, that noise is nothing to worry about, it's just the sound of white-male-privilege dying.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/fe ... li=AAggFp5

A white man is taking the "white male privilege" remarks of a female co-worker and turning discrimination on it's pointy head by claiming offense at her remark at a transgender sensitivity training course.

We live in a complicated World now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Queen K wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/female-police-captain-in-indiana-suspended-after-white-male-privilege-remark/ar-BBGiu9R?li=AAggFp5

A white man is taking the "white male privilege" remarks of a female co-worker and turning discrimination on it's pointy head by claiming offense at her remark at a transgender sensitivity training course.

We live in a complicated World now.

How dare she assume that the officer is male and white.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They were in the same room together and are on the same police force. I presume she knows. She was suggesting that because of his "white male privilege" that he has no idea what non-male, non-whites go through. He's outraged.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Queen K wrote:They were in the same room together and are on the same police force. I presume she knows. She was suggesting that because of his "white male privilege" that he has no idea what non-male, non-whites go through. He's outraged.

My comment was tongue in cheek. In this crazy new world we can’t assume anything about anyone.

Return to “Social Concerns”