Public Park, Private Funds

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Public Park, Private Funds

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/213275/Public-park-private-funds

What a waste of lakefront. This section of shoreline is posted as unsafe to swim. The City of Kelowna would be better off developing a boat launch which is sorely needed. Funding can come from the sale of the launch beside the Eldorado. That launch needs dredging on a continual basis due to its close proximity to Mission Creek.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Post by Ken7 »

I think the City should make it a park, they purchased if for that reason. I do not wish to see privatization on the boat launch.

This City is so boat negative it is sad. That lake should be used as a drawing card as the smaller cent res such as Peachland have done. Actually sad to see the lack of options for those who boat.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ken7 wrote:I think the City should make it a park, they purchased if for that reason. I do not wish to see privatization on the boat launch.

This City is so boat negative it is sad. That lake should be used as a drawing card as the smaller cent res such as Peachland have done. Actually sad to see the lack of options for those who boat.

The launch beside the Eldorado might as well be private. It caters to the hotel and that concierge business. Sell it to the hotel and build a new one that doesn't need dredging as often. Cedar avenue is a great place for one. The water there is polluted anyway.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/213275/Public-park-private-funds

What a waste of lakefront. This section of shoreline is posted as unsafe to swim. The City of Kelowna would be better off developing a boat launch which is sorely needed. Funding can come from the sale of the launch beside the Eldorado. That launch needs dredging on a continual basis due to its close proximity to Mission Creek.

So your proposing we take this land earmarked for public use and essentially make it another rich people only area? Thats already more than three quarters of the shore around kelowna.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
mb1000
Fledgling

Post by mb1000 »

The City claims they don't have the money to improve this area, yet they just spent over 2 million to improve Ethel street from the highway to Sutherland Ave? You tell me, which area sees more tourist traffic? Which area is more central to a growing and important neighbourhood in the city? The Cedar Avenue/Abbott Street area is slowly degrading into a slum and our city council turns a blind eye to the deterioration happening there.
It's easy to be pro-abortion when you're not the one being aborted.
mb1000
Fledgling

Post by mb1000 »

Boat Launch, NO. Dog Park, NO. Enough with these lame ideas that will only turn the area into a gong show. Either package and sell it to a developer that will be required to retain public access to the lake (similar to the area near the dolphins), or go whole hog and build a public park. We've waited long enough for our neighbourhood to finally be cleaned up.
It's easy to be pro-abortion when you're not the one being aborted.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

mb1000 wrote:Boat Launch, NO. Dog Park, NO. Enough with these lame ideas that will only turn the area into a gong show. Either package and sell it to a developer that will be required to retain public access to the lake (similar to the area near the dolphins), or go whole hog and build a public park. We've waited long enough for our neighbourhood to finally be cleaned up.

Why would you want access to shoreline that has been posted as unfit for swimming?

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/213275/Public-park-private-funds

MrBrocksEgo wrote:So your proposing we take this land earmarked for public use and essentially make it another rich people only area? Thats already more than three quarters of the shore around kelowna.

Nobody said that the boat launch would be private. The existing boat launch beside the Eldorado is public, and needs to be dredged every few years. sell it and stop throwing money at it. Cedar Ave location is much better.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

mb1000 wrote:The City claims they don't have the money to improve this area, yet they just spent over 2 million to improve Ethel street from the highway to Sutherland Ave? You tell me, which area sees more tourist traffic? Which area is more central to a growing and important neighbourhood in the city? The Cedar Avenue/Abbott Street area is slowly degrading into a slum and our city council turns a blind eye to the deterioration happening there.

Oh give me a break. The City of Kelowna has frittered away more money on the pampered lakeshore elite than anywhere else.

They just put in a new bridge over Mission Creek and redid the whole Lakeshore Road corridor along there.

They've spent millions on bicycle paths, and purchasing properties to expand existing parks or create new ones.

To an average observer it's bordering on obsession really, especially when there are so many other areas seeing nowhere near this level of attention.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alfonoso

Post by alfonoso »

The City of Kelowna bought the land for Bluebird Park (on the lake, just south of Mission Creek) about 2 years ago. It will be a fantastic addition to our waterfront parks. The houses that were on that site are already demolished and the area has been cleared and levelled - all by the city. Now the city has announced that it will build an interim public-use space there until they get around to building the actual park. Compare this series of events with what has happened at the planned park site near Cedar Avenue. The city has owned these properties for over 20 years, and they say it'll be another 10 years until a park will be built there, unless KLO Neighbourhood Association raises all of the necessary 1-2 million dollars. The city has the money for necessary work in one park within 2 years, but doesn't have it for another one for 30 years!

KLONA offering to do what the city has failed to do, is admirable. However, PLANKelowna thinks that it's the city's job to build parks. At Kelowna City Hall, on Dec. 4, several councilors voiced their concerns that if groups raise funds to partially pay for parks, would they then expect to dictate that park's design and use.

The federal, provincial and municipal economies are booming and condos are popping up like mushrooms. Customarily, real-estate developers pay for social amenities like local roads, sewers, parks, etc. when their new buildings cause many new service-requiring residents to move into an area.

Why does there seldom seem to be enough money in the city's budget to build the dozens of undeveloped parks in Kelowna? We think that council is not demanding enough money from developers.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Specifically, and only, addressing the boat launch idea - isn't the lake there extremely shallow? How would that work for a launch?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Nobody said that the boat launch would be private. The existing boat launch beside the Eldorado is public, and needs to be dredged every few years. sell it and stop throwing money at it. Cedar Ave location is much better.

What kind of people have boats? People that have extra money. You know which people don't have boats? Poor people.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

In particular I would prefer it be developed into a public park. We don't need more boat launches. In fact, I would prefer fewer boats so we can enjoy swimming and floating around without any additional wake created by the boaters who think the lakes are theirs to enjoy only. :fence:
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:What kind of people have boats? People that have extra money. You know which people don't have boats? Poor people.

So the guy that wants to go out fishing in his little aluminum boat has extra money?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Take the money they want to waste on global warming and gender neutral bs. Invest it in the park. Should be done in no time.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:

What kind of people have boats? People that have extra money. You know which people don't have boats? Poor people.

lol believe me if you own a boat you have no extra money

Return to “Central Okanagan”