What will Horgan do with Site C?

What will John Horgan do with the Site C dam project?

He'll cancel it
28%
He'll allow it to be completed
72%

Total votes: 58

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What will Horgan do with Site C?

Post by Smurf »

Horgan has been outplayed from day one but I don't believe he's even smart enough to realize it. Horgan and his BCUC review are a total joke. The only thing he can really do now is approve site C because Weaver is just as power hungry as he is and will not kill the government and loose all he has. In some ways Weaver is in as bad a spot as Horgan because he has probably lost everything the next election. The funny part is they both knew/know site C is best and yet they used it to cut their own throats. They could have left it alone and the Liberals would have been responsible if it went south. Oh well that is what happens when you have no clue and no planned agenda.

MJ I don't believe erinmore3775 or most if not all of the site C promoters are worried about who is working at site C as long as they are mostly from BC (and they are) and are able to support their families and the BC economy. It is also fantastic for the local FN bands that have signed agreements are employed and are being trained and gaining experience in their chosen field. I have seen these scenarios before and many of the FN workers go on to bigger and better things to the benefit themselves and their families thanks to the training and experience gained. I have also seen the companies they form during these jobs grow and go on to be successful. A huge plus for everyone involved especially the local communities.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Smurf wrote:It is also fantastic for the local FN bands that have signed agreements are employed and are being trained and gaining experience in their chosen field. I have seen these scenarios before and many of the FN workers go on to bigger and better things to the benefit themselves and their families thanks to the training and experience gained. I have also seen the companies they form during these jobs grow and go on to be successful. A huge plus for everyone involved especially the local communities.

Off topic I know but so true. In my past life I've hired and trained FN in my line of work and they have been able to find employment from other contractors. My brother in his vocation has done the same and several are now permanently employed in that field.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I know a number of FN people who have gotten their start that way. In fact I helped to train a number of them for work safety, electrical (got their licence), even fire fighting and most if not all have good jobs as a result. I do not feel it is that far off topic because it is part of the site C package and Horgan should be considering that when he makes his decision. He should be thinking of the local economies including the possibility of tourism created by the dam.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

If the only argument in favour of the Site C dam going forward is job loss, I find it ironic that these same Site C supporters thought it waas okay for the BC Liberal government to cause thousands of jobs to be lost in the education system due to their (unsuccessful) legal battle with the BCTF.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The latest from Mike Smyth on Twitter:

Mike Smyth‏Verified account @MikeSmythNews
43m43 minutes ago

There is an internal fight inside the NDP caucus over the Site C dam, I’m told. Several NDP MLAs firmly opposed to the project and want it scrapped! Horgan on the hot seat.
#bcpoli
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Wonder if those opposed in the NDG caucus have shares in the "junk power" ( Horgan's words) IPP companies....
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BC Greens launch 11th-hour offensive against Site C dam
The battle over the Site C dam marks the biggest policy split yet between the NDP and the Greens, whose backing allowed the New Democrats to form government.

However, should the NDP proceed with the project, it won’t likely topple the NDP; the power-sharing agreement the parties signed last spring specified only that the project be sent to the BCUC for review.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3901823/bc-g ... ite-c-dam/
Bring back the LIKE button.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

If the only argument in favour of the Site C dam going forward is job loss, I find it ironic that these same Site C supporters thought it waas okay for the BC Liberal government to cause thousands of jobs to be lost in the education system due to their (unsuccessful) legal battle with the BCTF.

Why do you even bother posting something you know full well is wrong. Jobs are only one of the many positive points of site C as has been proven numerous times by facts and verifiable information if you have paid any attention. However I am sure if you go up to the site and the area including the FN reserves you will find the jobs and business for their companies are an important factor in an area that doesn't have that many good opportunities.

Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

seewood wrote:Wonder if those opposed in the NDG caucus have shares in the "junk power" ( Horgan's words) IPP companies....

Wonder if you care to comment on the potential Site C job losses compared to the job losses suffered by the education sector from 2002 - 2017 when the BC Liberals lost their court battle with the BCTF.

@Smurf:
As has been proven over the course of several years and hundreds of comments here, all those 'positive points' are debatable.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The very latest from Keith Baldrey:

Keith Baldrey‏Verified account @keithbaldrey
4m4 minutes ago

After a day (and night) of prowling the legislature corridors, button-holing ministers and staff, my final Site C prediction: it's a go. Nothing absolutely confirmed but it's the premier's call, and he will give it the green light. My two cents (which are worth 2 cents) #bcpoli
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Going to have to remember my happy dance steps. Do hope it is a go. maybe this time tomorrow?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

seewood wrote:Going to have to remember my happy dance steps. Do hope it is a go. maybe this time tomorrow?
There's an anti-Site C demonstration happening right now at David Eby's office and the demonstrators claim that Eby's constituency assistant is taking pictures and sending them to the minister.

FightC‏ @FightSiteC

We're in David Eby's office right now and his constituency assistant is sending photos of us to the Minister! Call in now to add your voice! Stop #SiteC.

The longer this process takes the more unrest there will be. Horgan needs to make a decision and announce that decision. Enough already.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    seewood wrote:Going to have to remember my happy dance steps. Do hope it is a go. maybe this time tomorrow?
There's an anti-Site C demonstration happening right now at David Eby's office and the demonstrators claim that Eby's constituency assistant is taking pictures and sending them to the minister.

FightC‏ @FightSiteC

We're in David Eby's office right now and his constituency assistant is sending photos of us to the Minister! Call in now to add your voice! Stop #SiteC.

The longer this process takes the more unrest there will be. Horgan needs to make a decision and announce that decision. Enough already.

The anti-Site C people are smart enough to take their concerns to the people who are making the decision, whereas the pro-Site C people seem content to simply bash the NDP on social media.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urbane wrote:The longer this process takes the more unrest there will be. Horgan needs to make a decision and announce that decision. Enough already.

I agree, tim
They are the epitome of snowflake politics and couldne to poop or get off the pot. Let's get on with this already. This has got to be THE biggest "poop pot contents" government I have ever been a witness to.

I have already decided that the NDP or Green parties will NOT be getting my vote for as long as I am able to make an X on my ballot.
't make the decision to run or go back to bed during a house fire, without first consulting a study group. This behaviour does not deserve respect as leadership.

Would anyone else want to be out fishing with these guys when the boat gets a hole in it? (I will allow extra time for the NDP supporters to reply, I know you will have to discuss this amongst yourselves for a bit before replying).
Bring back the LIKE button.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Cactusflower wrote:If the only argument in favour of the Site C dam going forward is job loss, I find it ironic that these same Site C supporters thought it waas okay for the BC Liberal government to cause thousands of jobs to be lost in the education system due to their (unsuccessful) legal battle with the BCTF.

You are conflating entirely different situations and being entirely disingenuous in doing so.

Site C is not a "make work reward for party insiders as the inflation of teaching "jobs" is. Site C is the best way to move the province forward economically and toward the electrification needed to achieve a more sustainable province.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”