Post by Frisk »

Hello valley cloud...
Attachments
Kelowna forecast .png
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Nice weather

Post by Glacier »

Actually, those clouds are not "valley clouds", but we will be getting valley cloud starting tomorrow. Still, it will be cloudy above the valley cloud after that.

P.S. Winters are getting drier...

Kamloopsprecip.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Glacier wrote:Actually, those clouds are not "valley clouds", but we will be getting valley cloud starting tomorrow. Still, it will be cloudy above the valley cloud after that.

P.S. Winters are getting drier...

Kamloopsprecip.png

the blue sky and -8 temperature I was part of today say otherwise you could see the valley cloud from the mountains and nothing but blue sky above
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LTD wrote:the blue sky and -8 temperature I was part of today say otherwise you could see the valley cloud from the mountains and nothing but blue sky above

Blue sky at my place today. I had to close my office window to keep the sun out. But then again, Vernon does get more sunshine than Kelowna and Penticton.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:
LTD wrote:the blue sky and -8 temperature I was part of today say otherwise you could see the valley cloud from the mountains and nothing but blue sky above

Blue sky at my place today. I had to close my office window to keep the sun out. But then again, Vernon does get more sunshine than Kelowna and Penticton.

Viewing "half-moons" at Polson Park does not constitute sunshine.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Does the Kelowna graph look similar or is that only in Kamloops?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:Does the Kelowna graph look similar or is that only in Kamloops?

Precipitation data is not really kept in Kelowna anymore, which is why I used Kamloops. Similar, I think. Here is Penticton and also Agassiz down on the coast.

Pentictonprecip.png

agassiz.png
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Valley cloud means that it's going to be 10 degrees HOTTER in Fort St. John than Kelowna today!

valleycloud.png
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I don't think that "10 degrees HOTTER" is the appropriate term. Maybe 10 degrees "warmer" would be more succinct when dealing with a HIGH of +2C.

+12C is still damn cold.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

This isn't our weather, but it is weather related and I thought some of you would enjoy it. :D

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/lightni ... n-farrell/
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

ferri wrote:This isn't our weather, but it is weather related and I thought some of you would enjoy it. :D

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/lightni ... n-farrell/

That was beautiful! I love lightning storms (so long as they don't start forest fires). When we get one, everything stops and we go outside to watch.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The valley cloud means we are having VERY low diurnal temperature variation in the interior, even lower than the coastal lighthouse stations! This is amazing because it's dry. Diurnal range is the difference between the high and low. So Quesnel varied by less than 1 degree.

Diurnal temperature variations in BC yesterday (notice that 7 of the 8 highest diurnal ranges were are coastal spots including Prince Rupert):

Quesnel Airport = 0.9
Quesnel = 0.9
Summerland = 1
Clinton = 1.1
Sisters Islets = 1.1
Princeton = 1.2
Revelstoke Climate = 1.2
Sparwood = 1.3
Revelstoke Airport = 1.3
Golden = 1.3
Cranbrook Airport = 1.4
Vernon = 1.4
Warfield = 1.4
Ashcroft = 1.5
Kamloops = 1.5
Kamloops Airport = 1.5
Nelson = 1.5
Smithers = 1.5
Smithers Airport = 1.6
Creston = 1.6
Merritt = 1.6
Nakusp = 1.7
Kelowna = 1.8
Sand Heads Lightstation = 1.9
Saturna Island = 1.9
Sandspit Airport = 1.9
Kelowna Airport = 2.1
Salmon Arm = 2.1
Williams Lake Airport = 2.1
Vancouver Harbour = 2.2
Point Atkinson = 2.2
Ootsa Lake Skins Lake Spillway = 2.3
Ballenas Islands = 2.3
Osoyoos = 2.3
Penticton Airport = 2.3
Entrance Island = 2.4
Sandspit = 2.5
Fort St. James = 2.6
Malahat = 2.6
Mackenzie Airport = 2.6
Race Rocks Lightstation = 2.7
Mackenzie = 2.7
Port Alberni = 2.7
Vancouver = 2.7
Vancouver Int'l Airport = 2.7
Yoho National Park = 2.8
Comox Airport = 3
Rose Spit = 3
Terrace Airport = 3
Blue River = 3
Burns Lake Airport = 3.1
Fort St. John Airport = 3.1
Hope Airport = 3.1
Clearwater = 3.3
Hope = 3.4
Herbert Island = 3.5
Prince George = 3.5
Holland Rock = 3.6
West Vancouver = 3.7
Agassiz = 3.7
Prince George Airport = 3.7
Sheringham Point = 3.7
Pitt Meadows = 3.8
Lucy Islands Lightstation = 4
Qualicum Beach Airport = 4
Victoria, University of = 4.2
Pemberton Airport = 4.3
Burns Bog = 4.7
Fort Nelson = 4.7
Fanny Island = 4.8
Whistler - Nesters = 4.8
Howe Sound - Pam Rocks = 4.9
Victoria Gonzales = 5.2
Lillooet = 5.3
Fort Nelson Airport = 5.4
Saturna Capmon = 5.5
Callaghan Valley = 5.7
Blackcomb Base - Sliding = 6.2
Powell River = 6.2
Port Mellon = 6.3
Bella Coola = 6.3
Esquimalt Harbour = 6.4
Estevan Point = 7.4
Dease Lake Airport = 7.5
Dease Lake Climate = 7.6
Lytton = 7.7
Lytton Climate = 8.1
Sechelt = 8.1
White Rock = 8.1
Puntzi Mountain = 8.8
Dawson Creek Airport = 9
Squamish Airport = 9.2
Victoria Int'l Airport = 9.4
Prince Rupert Airport = 9.6
Abbotsford Airport = 10.3
Tatlayoko Lake = 10.3
Port Hardy Airport = 11.2
Bella Bella Airport = 11.5
North Cowichan = 13.9
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Any guesses on whether we'll have snow for Christmas or not?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Deep South in deep freeze
The Canadian Press - Dec 9, 2017 / 8:31 am | Story: 213620

St. Richard Catholic Church liturgy director Suzan Cox salts down the walkway leading to the church as snow falls before morning services.
Snowfall shrouding much of the Deep South began tapering off early Saturday, but freezing temperatures kept roads slick throughout the region and airplanes grounded at the world's busiest airport.

Forecasters warned that moisture on the roadways could freeze and cause black ice to form. The National Weather Service said that while snow flurries would end by midday in areas including metro Atlanta, temperatures at or below freezing could cause transparent layers of thin ice to form on bridges and other elevated roadways.

The frigid temperatures behind a cold front combined with moisture off the Gulf of Mexico to bring unusual wintry weather to parts of the South. Officials at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which holds the world record for annual number of passengers, said delays and cancellations were expected.

"Passengers should monitor their airline's media channels for flight info," the airport said via Twitter. Airport spokesman Reese McCranie said more than 400 flights were cancelled Saturday morning.

Not everyone was anxious to flee, though. Members of a central Florida family found their way to Atlanta specifically to witness the white drifts.

"It's beautiful," said Tim Moss, while his two sons and wife threw snowballs at each other near a McDonald's parking lot early Saturday. He said the family - including his mother - made a spontaneous decision late Friday to leave 80-degree weather in Florida and drive seven hours to see snow for the first time.

"A lot of people who live here are staying in," Moss, 46, continued. "They don't want to get out in it. But we want to get out and run around in it."

The snowstorms knocked out electricity to thousands across the South. More than 382,000 homes and businesses were still without electricity Saturday in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Southern Pine Electric Co-operative, which had nearly 19,000 customers without power Friday in south Mississippi, said restoration could take several days.

Snowfall and icy roads in North Carolina on Friday closed government offices and schools, sent cars sliding off the road and altered the governor's travel plans.

Forecasters said heavy snow was falling in the mountainous western part of the state with up to 6 inches likely in areas including Asheville. A winter storm warning was in effect through Saturday morning for western counties.

Accumulations of 15 centimetres were reported in Mississippi and northern Georgia, while at least 13 centimetres) fell in Alabama. Rare snow flurries were spotted in New Orleans. Motorists were urged to stay off the road in Louisiana for fear of ice.

The weather band also brought a rare snowfall to parts of South Texas.

"It's the first snow of the season and any time you even mention snow in the South, you're going to get people a little panicky," said David Nadler, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service's office south of Atlanta.

The weather service said the snow is expected to move into the Mid-Atlantic, parts of the Northeast and New England this weekend.

A freeze warning was in effect Saturday for parts of northern Florida, southeast Alabama and southwest Georgia. The weather service said freezing temperatures can harm vulnerable plants and animals

Panic :panic: :panic: over 15 cm. :smt045 WOW.

They could not survive here.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Frisk wrote:Any guesses on whether we'll have snow for Christmas or not?

I guess it's a yes!

Return to “Central Okanagan”