BC behind in dealing with marijuana-impaired driving

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: BC behind in dealing with marijuana-impaired driving

Post by CapitalB »

So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rinks.html

and here's one that says the opposite....shows science is all over the place.

Simply put, don't smoke and drive.
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

Why do ppl think legalization is going to cause a mass epidemic on the roads? If it hasn’t been a major issue for the last decade it’s not going to become one. Weed has been easily accessible and consumed for years and drivers have been high on the road. I can’t remember even hearing about weed impairment being a factor till the talk of legalization
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

chicklo wrote:Why do ppl think legalization is going to cause a mass epidemic on the roads? If it hasn’t been a major issue for the last decade it’s not going to become one. Weed has been easily accessible and consumed for years and drivers have been high on the road. I can’t remember even hearing about weed impairment being a factor till the talk of legalization

Have a read what happened south of the border after legalization
http://vancouversun.com/health/local-he ... gton-state
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Chyren wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3137943/Marijuana-DOES-impair-driving-kind-comprehensive-government-study-reveals-cannabis-use-affect-motor-skills-three-drinks.html

Thats a good article and the site has led me to some interesting information while reading through the study.

In this rigorous, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, cannabis and alcohol were significantly associated with impaired driving lateral control. Cannabis only affected SDLP; whereas alcohol affected SDLP, lane departures/min, and maximum acceleration.

In this SDLP stands for standard deviation of lane placement. It took me a bit to figure out what amount of pot they were using but it seems they had subjects vaporize low strength and high strength pot at about a half gram. I had harder times figuring out if they did this more than once as they only reference blood thc content levels after explaining intake. They also go on to mention; Cannabis-influenced drivers may attempt to drive more cautiously to compensate for impairing effects, whereas alcohol-influenced drivers often underestimate their impairment and take more risks.

So there are definitely risks in driving stoned, but it seems to be significantly less dangerous than driving under alcohols influence even around the legal limit.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

GordonH wrote:
chicklo wrote:Why do ppl think legalization is going to cause a mass epidemic on the roads? If it hasn’t been a major issue for the last decade it’s not going to become one. Weed has been easily accessible and consumed for years and drivers have been high on the road. I can’t remember even hearing about weed impairment being a factor till the talk of legalization

Have a read what happened south of the border after legalization
http://vancouversun.com/health/local-he ... gton-state

Interesting read. My question though if it’s such an issue why have we not gotten tools to test for impairment already? This is BC where you can easily get weed and damn near everyone smokes it. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 in 4 BC drivers are high, maybe we can just handle our green better than the Americans.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

You mean just like the people who can drink 6 beer and drive like normal, just ask them LOL. Impaired is impaired.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Interesting read. My question though if it’s such an issue why have we not gotten tools to test for impairment already? This is BC where you can easily get weed and damn near everyone smokes it. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 in 4 BC drivers are high, maybe we can just handle our green better than the Americans.[/quote][/quote]

Ya i drive better er er after a bunch of bong tokes. Rite on dude.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Interesting read. My question though if it’s such an issue why have we not gotten tools to test for impairment already? This is BC where you can easily get weed and damn near everyone smokes it. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 in 4 BC drivers are high, maybe we can just handle our green better than the Americans.

Ya i drive better er er after a bunch of bong tokes. Rite on dude.

No need to get excited, most of them aren't in their cars anyway, too buzzed to get of the couch, so they spend all their time on Castanet spamming the board with endless nuggets of wisdom. :crazy: :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
Chyren wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3137943/Marijuana-DOES-impair-driving-kind-comprehensive-government-study-reveals-cannabis-use-affect-motor-skills-three-drinks.html

Thats a good article and the site has led me to some interesting information while reading through the study.

In this rigorous, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, cannabis and alcohol were significantly associated with impaired driving lateral control. Cannabis only affected SDLP; whereas alcohol affected SDLP, lane departures/min, and maximum acceleration.

In this SDLP stands for standard deviation of lane placement. It took me a bit to figure out what amount of pot they were using but it seems they had subjects vaporize low strength and high strength pot at about a half gram. I had harder times figuring out if they did this more than once as they only reference blood thc content levels after explaining intake. They also go on to mention; Cannabis-influenced drivers may attempt to drive more cautiously to compensate for impairing effects, whereas alcohol-influenced drivers often underestimate their impairment and take more risks.

So there are definitely risks in driving stoned, but it seems to be significantly less dangerous than driving under alcohols influence even around the legal limit.

Nobody has ever claimed that booze was better and dope was worse. SO WHAT? You want to make comparisons to Cell phone usage, or texting while driving next?
Bring back the LIKE button.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The daily mail is rightwing nonsense :smt045
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Again no matter how its spun, smoking weed and driving is stupid. Don't do it. Don't think about doing it. There's absolutely ZERO reason to attempt it. If you are thinking of a reason to think otherwise then you're going to be part of the problem when the solution is basic. Don't Smoke Weed and Drive. Period.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Chyren wrote:Again no matter how its spun, smoking weed and driving is stupid. Don't do it. Don't think about doing it. There's absolutely ZERO reason to attempt it. If you are thinking of a reason to think otherwise then you're going to be part of the problem when the solution is basic. Don't Smoke Weed and Drive. Period.

Until.bc has zero tolerance for booze then there will be an allowable limit .im all for zero tolerance but has,to be for everything including texting
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

You do know that THC remains in the blood for up to 30 days, right? For chronic smokers, that would mean that they will not be legal to drive for at least 7 days after their last toke.
Whereas, even the most chronic drunk can legally pass the BAL test after 48 hours, most can do it after 24 hours. Recovery from texting is not measurable and full driving abilities are restored with 1 minute of being pulled over.
All are bad, but some are testable and provable by science and are fully admissible in a court of law and can have long lasting, devastating affects upon one's ability to work, drive, and support their family.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “B.C.”