New cell rules

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

New cell rules

Post by maryjane48 »

As of now,all cell phone can be unlocked for free :130:
Jlabute
Guru

Re: New cell rules

Post by Jlabute »

Hopefully this will help drop plan pricing.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

ya right! funniest thing I have heard.

What they do is they secretly send eachother the prices they will raise and all companies raise at the same time...thats how they are competitive....when everyone is the same you dont have to try hard.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:Hopefully this will help drop plan pricing.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I seriously doubt that, don't let me crush your dream. :runforlife:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:

I seriously doubt that, don't let me crush your dream. :runforlife:

I suppose next you're gonna tell me Santa Claus isn't real. :200:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

Specifically how would that happen?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

HP wrote:

Specifically how would that happen?

Because people would be free to plan shop. Previously, a phone locked to Telus could only use Telus services/plans. Now you can shop around with Bell, Rogers, Kudo, whoever to get the best possible plan price.

Unfortunately - like gas stations these companies all seem to collude on the pricing as they all seem to cost about the same for what you get ... by random happenstance I'm sure :-X
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Not sure who the experts are but they say NAFTA could bring in more competition.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3605748/nafta-negotiations-telecommunications-canada/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

As I see it the best part of this would be you being able to change providers and keep your present phone if you are happy with it.

You will still be locked into your term unless you pay out the remaining cost of the phone and I believe they are not supposed to charge a penalty for doing that.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:Not sure who the experts are but they say NAFTA could bring in more competition.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3605748/nafta-negotiations-telecommunications-canada/

Of course 1 agency that could put the brakes on this is the CRTC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bsuds wrote:As I see it the best part of this would be you being able to change providers and keep your present phone if you are happy with it.

You will still be locked into your term unless you pay out the remaining cost of the phone and I believe they are not supposed to charge a penalty for doing that.

Beneficial if u want to upgrade and sell the old one . Increases the chances of finding a buyer at a good price
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

As I see it the best part of this would be you being able to change providers and keep your present phone if you are happy with it.

But you will still need to pay out your phone. People don't seem to realize that the bulk of the cost of your plan is financing your handset. I think the unlock fee previously was $10 or something?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

HP wrote:

But you will still need to pay out your phone. People don't seem to realize that the bulk of the cost of your plan is financing your handset. I think the unlock fee previously was $10 or something?

50 from a carrier. U can find online for less or go to a store that does it
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

HP wrote:

Have you done the math? A basic phone and data plan for a $500 phone in a 3 year contact is $60/month + $100 for the phone as they only cover about $400 as part of the contract and the customer pays for anything over the $400 mark.

Over 3 years that's $2260 in costs. $500 is not "the bulk of" the cost.
A $400 phone would be $2160 in total costs.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”